main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    http://deadline.com/2017/02/disney-...9-new-distribution-deal-star-wars-1201938700/

2. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Ireland and Dubrovnik are going to look insane in IMAX. Salt flats too. But Ireland especially cause they spend the most time there so IMAX camera will cover various locations.

3. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/201...ises-the-last-jedi-and-the-han-solo-film.html

4. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Get you a colleague who will respect you like JJ Abrams respects Rian Johnson.

5. Good Blaster

Good Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2015
    I believe sometime last year or maybe even after Episode VII released in theatres that JJ said he was jealous he couldn't direct VIII after reading Johnson's script. Gahhhh I am so pumped.

6. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Greg Grunberg, ‘Snap Wexley’ actor: "[J. J. Abrams] read [the Episode VIII script] and said something he never, ever says: ‘[It’s] so good [that I wished I had written it myself].'” “He may have said something one time on ‘Lost,’ with Damon [Lindelof], but I never hear him express regret like that.” (December 22, 2015)

J. J. Abrams: "Here’s the thing about Greg. You put a microphone in front of him, you never know what you’re going to get. I love my friend Greg. He’s my best friend since Kindergarten. I think that my enthusiasm for VIII is enormous. I think he also might have invented a couple of the quotes that he gave but I am very much excited for, and very jealous of anyone, especially Rian (Johnson), who gets to work so closely with this extraordinary cast and crew. Truly an amazing group. In that regard, for sure, but honestly, I’m also relieved to have gotten the chance to do a Star Wars movie." (February 14, 2016)

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  9. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
  10. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    What episode of Lost could possibly have been that good?

11. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    " What just happened there? Did that mean something? Why are they back on the plane? Did they time travel or is it a dream or are they all dead?"

I like plot twists, but I hope I don't leave the cinema just confused.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Jack died, Hurley became the Island's protector, Kate, Sawyer and the rest escaped with Lapidus flying them out of there. The island wasn't purgatory or a dream, it all happened. The flash "sideways" was something else, a kind of afterlife that occurred after a character died, regardless of whether they died on the island or 50 year later

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I noticed that Rian mentioned the "indie" thing, again. I hope that doesn't become the "real desert" comment of TLJ. Maybe all of these interviews are misunderstanding what people are really saying about this film. Maybe it's not like an "indie", maybe it's like an "Indy".

[​IMG]

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    No, it's "in 'D'"- it's a reference to John Williams' score being a bit monotonous this time

15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The Constant!

ThreeDeathstickProblem and CEB like this.
  16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I wouldn't expect anything more "indie" than ESB. Or more "Indy" than The Last Crusade.

If the score is actually in D minor, that's great news. I always find it's really the saddest of all keys.

17. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    I think that "indie" is like a code word for "character driven" rather than plot driven. Substance over style, that sort of thing. Raiders of the Lost Arc would be Indy going "indie".

18. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Ha!
    "John, this track that soundtracks Luke's death is incredibly moving, what's it called?"

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  19. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

The Constant would be one of the best time travel films of all time if adapted into a feature length. Man, that episode kills me every time

Edit: oops, sorry, didn't realise both these notification were in the same thread

20. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

[face_plain]

arjank likes this.
  21. Good Blaster

Oct 18, 2015
    indie vibe, blockbuster vibe...I don't care. Just make a good movie without recycled ideas and plot points. Laura Dern had some very encouraging things to say in a recent interview. Ive always had faith and been 100% on board with Rian J.....just hope Disney/some boardroom of execs doesn't freak out and have him change things that aren't "playing it safe". If episode VIII is another soft reboot of Empire then I'll have to wash my hands of the series. TFA was acceptable as a soft reboot but only that film can get away with it. You have the great new characters now go do something interesting with them.

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Another good place for this.

http://collider.com/laura-dern-wils...paign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social#poster

Also congrats to you and Woody both being in the Star Wars club all of a sudden. That’s so strange!
    DERN: Isn’t that funny? I forgot to say this to Woody, but it just made me laugh because they were like, “Can you say anything about your characters?” And so the one thing that came to mind with that one journalist asking me, I was like, what if someone had seen Wilson and was like, “You know what? Wilson and Pippi should go to space.” And we’re actually playing these characters in Star Wars. [laughs] That would be the ultimate.
    I would love to hear anything you have to say about Rian Johnson, but I know you can’t say anything about the film.
    DERN: I worship him.

Isn’t he the greatest? Everything he’s done is incredible.
    DERN: Oh, he’s the guy. He’s the guy to watch. To me, I’ve never seen anything like it. Comfort on an enormous movie, improvisation, “Try that, try that!” There’s a lot of people weighing in on creating character and looks, and things are so iconic, and sets, and he’s still in the world of character. “How do you feel? What do you think? How do you want it?” I mean, to everybody. But he’s just amazing, and he’ll do radically beautiful things, and I also feel like he’s one of the people I’ll work with again and again, because we just loved each other. We had dinner recently and he was telling me an idea that was just so crazy and indie and I just love that’s he’s a radical.
    Yeah, he very much has that indie sensibility. I’m glad to hear it from you.
    DERN: Oh, I think he’ll keep himself in both worlds for his whole career, very smartly.

cameron.osborn and Satipo like this.
  23. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    As much as I love Rian myself, this doesn't really mean much. The cast of Jurassic World worshipped Colin Trevorrow on tape and the movie turned out to be... well, Jurassic World.(And now he is doing Episode IX[face_nail_biting]) So, "no hype til the results come in" is my rule.

24. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    True, but not once did I hear that Trevorrow's JW had an indie sensibility. When I hear that about big films, it's always encouraging. Because if a director places an emphasis on character and intimacy, the larger canvas will be even more compelling.

25. Good Blaster

Oct 18, 2015
    Since Rian Johnson had named Three Outlaw Samurai as an influence for the saber choreography, I picked it up on the Criterion Collection and gave it a watch a few weeks ago (great film). The swordplay is extremely methodical and slow, and like the original SW trilogy more about character moments/inner conflicts than the fight itself. I was thinking to myself I could hop on board with this idea if done right. Out of pure curiosity I just watched the obi-wan and Darth Maul fight from the new cartoon and it's EXACTLY like Three Outlaw Samurai. Worked well I thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.