main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016

Incredible. This guy is dope!

2. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    I'm with you there. Here's to hoping we don't see a fall from grace in epic proportions.

3. forzaskywalker

forzaskywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    JediLight and Gigoran Monk like this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Rian will be so hyped right now. It's about to be his turn in the Star Wars limelight. It's his year.
    We're either going to be raving with enthusiasm, or the entire Internet is going to be flaming him with hate.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  6. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    However the film turns out, I think the trailer is going to be jaw-dropping. They've been working carefully on this thing for a long time.

7. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    The guy has been working on this film for 3-4 years and I'm pretty confident that TLJ will define the next 40 years of SW.

The whole panel will feel like "Babe Ruth's called shot".

The home run will be the teaser/trailer/collection of moving images.

Satipo likes this.
  8. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

Either way I appreciate Johnson's enthusiasm and respect he's demonstrated to the fans and the brand.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I bring balance to this now:

The movie will be trash! :D

jimtalkbox and Gigoran Monk like this.
  10. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    I don't see the movie being bad. Rian is very talented, at worse it plays it too close to Empire Strikes Back just like Abrams did with TFA/ANH. Outside of that, I just can't picture him putting out a bad Star Wars. This world is prime for a director and writer like Rian.

11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't think it'll riff on ESB to anywhere near the extent that TFA riffs on ANH (which is really just on a surface level anyway).

12. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Nothing but ^:)^=D=[face_love][:D] for Rian for doing this. Fans are ecstatic and he took so many selfies with them. What a way to show how much he cares! Those brave souls in the queue really needed it. Well done!

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  13. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    My thoughts exactly. The actual characterizations of TFA were quite unique, just look at the character KYLO. Vader wasnt even much of a character in ANH. It's just some vague beats that are the same.

14. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember KK (and Hamill) gushing over J.J the way they did over Rian today. I was taken aback a little bit. :p

15. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I agree. I think the praise is genuine. And I also don't think RJ is nervous now - he seems very, very proud of the film he is putting together.

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It really does sound like RJ is a major force behind the entire ST.

18. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Satipo People always praise each other at these events, but I was struck by the extent of it with Rian. KK said that he is on his way to becoming one of the greatest ever and Hamill called him a god (!). The nicest things I remember them saying about J.J was that he is a true fan and listens to advice. [face_dunno]

19. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Exactly. You can praise, but you don't have to go above and beyond that way. I do think they liked JJ - but this feels more. I also think it's telling that Mark felt able to say (in a separate interview) that he initially disagreed with RJ on his choices for Luke - but once he went along with his vision, most of his fears disappeared. I think he trusted him, and he now appreciates what RJ was going for.

20. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    after seeing how Rian handled the fans at celebration meeting everyone who was spending the night, and how honestly grateful he seems to be there, and got all shy when Kathleen was praising him and watching the trailer I'm so excited he's doing this film

21. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    Without trying to sound mean towards JJ Abrams or Colin Trevorrow, I think it's a safe bet that us Star Wars fans are gonna miss Rian big time once The Last Jedi is out and we've moved on to the Episode IX production cycle. We're being spoiled right now in so many ways.

11-4D, Satipo and General_Leia_Organa like this.
  22. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    He's got "something" going in this movie. He's moving the story and the surrounding ideas along.
    I suspect there will be plenty diehard "I have a headcanon and you better be filming it" people who will hate this.

24. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Going from disagreeing with someone to calling them a god is a pretty radical change. :D Whatever Rian did to convince him must have been really special.

Satipo and Chained Prometheus like this.
  25. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Not surprised at all about this.

Yuuuup. I think this film has a VERY strong chance of topping Empire as the top SW film, but I bet it's going to divide a ton of fans when it first comes out.

I'm so stoked to find out for myself. :D

Satipo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.