main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016

R2D2 is the property of the government of Naboo.

2. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Couldn't agree with this more if I tried. The Battle of Yavin, from the moment the X-wings leave Yavin and the soundtrack kicks in, is hands down the greatest finale to any film. Ever.

In my opinion, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm right there with you on that one. The dynamism, vfx work, music and acting all come together.

It would be great to get a similar sequence in TLJ - similar in the sense of a dedicated space scene with objectives and complete story beats that isn't intercut with another sequence .

4. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Scriptnotes Podcast - It’s Always Sunny in Star Wars

https://johnaugust.com/2017/its-always-sunny-in-star-wars

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I want a sequence like that, but not set in space. A tense third act sequence centered around th characters accomplishing a goal that's not intercut with a larger battle or two, in space or otherwise. As it stands, I think the big space battle will be at the end of the first act; the planet they're above in the trailer looks like D'Qar, so I'm assuming the First Order shows up in person since they already know where the Reistance currently is.

yassir.khan likes this.
  6. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    We'll never get that moment from the Resistance/Rebellion cause it's been done and cannot be replicated. When the moment happens, it'll come from an unexpected angle/source but not from X Wings or whatever else. SKB attack was the most boring thing ever, so much so that even JJ admitted nobody cared for that part of the story in the commentary. So while X Wings will continue to provide action filler, something else is going to be the "ANH finale" moment.

my kind of scum and yassir.khan like this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I would love to counter and say if you know it's boring JJ why put it in the movie but at this point we got what we got. So I'm going to say that.

Rodie likes this.
  8. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I would love to counter that you just said both.

I would also love to counter that "it's boring" or "nobody cares" isn't something Abrams said.

Satipo likes this.
  9. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The space battle above Scarif is a glittering masterpiece compared to the SKB attack, but I still appreciated the latter. Not least due to the interplay of the shrinking star, and the deterioration of Han and Ben's conversation on the bridge. I thought that brought the two threads together in a visually interesting way, and JJ deserves credit for it. Could the sequence have been more compelling from a story perspective? Definitely. But film is not just story.

10. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I hope Colin Trevorrow has three SKBs and they combine to form a giant ****ing Mickey Mouse head.

Where is your god now, fanboys?

11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Personally, I want the SKB force ghost to show up and train a new SKB in Episode IX.

12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    It trains a whole school of them, hence the triple weapon of death. Also, forgot to mention this but the weapon is used only once, on the planet Bi'week'ly'baths, home to relatively peaceful though occasionally belligerent cave dwellers known as the pale-blogs.

Mostly Handless and Gigoran Monk like this.
  13. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I have to admit that I'm a little upset Abrams didn't go with my idea (I wrote him a letter about it) to go smaller than the Death Star in TFA, rather than bigger. Would have been a refreshing twist. Ratchet down the stakes, instead of ratchet them up. Specifically, with a weapon called The Wound Star. With the power to wound, but not kill, entire planets.

14. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    J.J. must've read your letter. We saw The Wound Star in TFA. It wasn't turned on, and Finn tossed it aside like it was merely a toy. We first witnessed the weapon's ability to wound in ANH when it zapped Luke's hip. What's ridiculous, is Luke was able to blow up The Death Star, but he couldn't destroy The Wound Star. Do you think Rey will use The Wound Star on Kylo or Snoke?

jimtalkbox, Gigoran Monk and Dra--- like this.
  15. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Gigoran Monk

That was great as was the metaphor of SKB draining the sun of its light only to revert back into the sun. But the attack itself was a stiff bore.

Jid123Sheeve He put it in the movie cause it made stuff that Gigoran Monk pointed out as great possible.

ThreeDeathstickProblem You are right. The quote is “And we’re back in the forest with the story that we really care about, the focus of the story, which is Rey and Ren.”

If that isn't a shade thrown at dogfight I don't know what is. What we really care about. Yep.

16. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Eh, I consider that just a factual statement. The attack is much less important to the journey of the three characters fighting it out on the ground, but it's still important to the overall backdrop of the story. He doesn't say it's boring or that nobody should care.

PymParticles likes this.
  17. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Ah man, don't say that JJ! I liked the main SKB attack personally, now admittedly this is because I love the spaceship stuff. Also what sells the attack to me is the pilots, their reactions and dialogue. That's always a key part of making these types of scenes work I think. Going back to what we were talking about above with Yavin, it's amazing how we feel for these newly introduced pilots flying with Luke. Obviously the stakes are high and these guys are the last line of defence for freedom in the galaxy, but I've always felt invested in them. I wonder if it's simply a case of them having human faces (versus the faceless Imperials) and we can see them react with emotion, or because they show competency in a skill that is inherently admirable (fighter pilot!), or maybe it's because we know with each one of them that dies in a fiery explosion the bad guys are closer to winning and we can't help but think 'oh no, another one is gone'. All of the above and more?

Anyway, I hope Rian feels the same way. Space ship battles need to have characters we care about.

18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I mean, it's the same with Return of the Jedi. Is the Battle of Endor, both the land battle with Han and Leia and the Ewoks, and especially the space battle, fun to watch? Yeah. Do we emotionally care far more about Luke, Vader, and the Emperor? Absolutely. That's where our emotional focus is; the other stuff is there to raise the stakes on a larger scale in the background.

19. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I agree that he doesn't but he does point out where emotional center is as opposed to where it isn't. I don't see that change in the future cause there's absolutely nothing to care about dogfights. It isn't like they'll kill off Poe, lol, or have another pilot do something heroic instead of him, double lol. So, yeah, no stakes whatsoever. It was exciting and emotionally satisfying in ANH, it's business as usual in other movies cause it's now serving as an action filler to real drama happening somewhere else (Jyn, Cassian and RO on Scarif, Luke in Emperor's chamber, Rey, Finn and Kylo in SKB forest).

I don't mind skipping cause that's what skip button is for. And it's the greatest tech invention ever.

20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah, but in the case of the Scarif space battle, Edwards infused the scene with such interesting spectacle and events (and a great character in Raddus), and then tied It very directly to the characters on the ground (due to the need to break the shield and receive the transmissions), making it, IMO, the most emotionally and narratively compelling of the "B stories" yet. I like what JJ did with the scene visually. But he just doesn't have that almost wacky knack for creating iconic moments out of secondary and tertiary characters that Edwards (and Lucas) have.

In short, there is no Raddus equivalent in TFA. :)

my kind of scum likes this.
  21. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Remind me, who was Raddus? [face_blush]

22. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I cared a lot more about Poe than Raddus.

23. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I didn't care about either but Raddus was cool. I remember the character, just didn't catch the name, googled it now.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  24. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    As a character, sure, that's fair (though Raddus, despite being a minor character compared to Poe, manages to stand out far more, as well as be intimately connected to the events on the ground in a way Poe isn't). And it's not so much about caring for Raddus, as it is how much Raddus seems to care for (and respect) the Rogue One crew. Some really great and subtle acting from an alien! In any event, the SKB sequence simply doesn't come close to the visual and narrative inventiveness of the Scarif space battle, IMO.

That said, I reject the notion that the SKB air battle is boring. I think it looks great, and is intercut really well with the Han, Kylo, Finn and Rey stuff. The beats of the air battle really infuse the ground action with a lot of tension. I can't imagine either one without the other.

Though I can't help but wish we'd gotten that "sledgehammer" thing from the MSW rumors. You know, the Resistance ship that crashed into the planetary shield. Ah well.

25. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Raddus had much better mini story than Poe. He basically disobeyed the Rebellion high command to stand with RO. That was a really nice touch in the third act, to add a character who wasn't a canon fodder but actually mattered for the plot as a whole.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.