main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    I am not too worried about the possibility of each director telling their story. It looks like there was plenty of communication between Abrams and Johnson so while the story may not be perfect, I do not think it means it will not make sense.

We also have the story group which likely assists so I think the different minds working together is helpful.

TK327, IncessantRamblings and Satipo like this.
  2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I am very much a fan of director's being given ample amounts of freedom, so I welcome this. However, I do hope that conversations (aplenty) were had. As that seems to be the case, I'm not worried at all.

3. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    So basically what I understand is that each director is free to do what he wants with the story, focus it where he wants to focus, give it the tone they want to give it, and the depth they want to give it , but with the condition of that they do not contradict how the other directors were directing it, that is why they have to agree to eachother, to maintain a coherent overall story.

4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Simply, I disagree. The OT developed without a coherent plan in mind from the outset (with three different directors and more then one writer), Tolkien wrote LOTR without a coherent plan in mind from the outset. Etc. And though that sometimes leads to an occasionally awkward plot point, I believe such a method/ non-method leads to far more artistically interesting results. Especially when such an approach means less studio interference. And so I'm thrilled when I hear RJ describe the creative freedom he's been given. And I'm also thrilled when I hear that he took the initiative to collaborate with the Story Group. That's a recipe for both a bold and coherent result. Best Star Wars news I've heard in a while.

And about that Twitter exchange, what a waste of tweets. One can ask all kinds of questions of RJ, and this fan chooses to harangue him with essentially the same question about twelve times? RJ's a patient guy, that's for sure.

Satipo, Contreras1991 and TK327 like this.
  5. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I can't for the life of me figure out why no one has asked Rian if he was the one who determined Rey's heritage. I don't do tweeter, so could someone ping him? Please?

Satipo and cerealbox like this.
  6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It sounds fun.
    JJ creates a bunch of loose ends, cliffhangers, half thought out ideas. Rian deals with some of them and leaves others for the next guy to untangle.

Colin will have his go, and inevitably leave little nuggets to kick off the next trilogy.

The alternative is a safe, commitee constructed story that we all could probably guess.

TK327 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  7. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Tolkien and Lucas had their babies start to finish. That's not a one-to-one comparison. Being adaptable and continuously working on the story as you go is not the same thing as three different writers/directors doing whatever the hell they want for their 1/3 of the whole. I'm not pulling this opinion out of left field. I have watched lots and lots of series turn into crap because of dropped stories and pointless clues that lead to nothing and were never even conceived of to lead to anything. Discouragingly, JJ himself has a history there.

RJ can choose to answer whatever he wants. If you want to ask him what you think is a better question on Twitter, go do it. Maybe he'll answer you and you can pat yourself on the back for asking good questions, unlike those naughty fans asking bad questions.

8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Amen.

OK. Relax. We're talking about Star Wars movies, not mass atrocity prevention policy. I disagree with you, and prefer the uncertainty (and risk) of lots of freedom for individual directors under a loose framework. That may produce an epic failure or two, but overall, I think it'll keep Star Wars fresh.

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The thing is, the OT got really lucky in that regard. It happened to be structured in such a way that it mostly held together. But you can still see cracks in the continuity in places nonetheless. Basically the retcons are obvious even there. And a lot of people would argue that it was far less effective in the PT. So I don't know that trying to basically "wing it" like that all the time is always going to work out well.

And no, I don't buy for one second that it automatically would mean that you get a "committee driven story" if you at least know where everything is going. That's just nonsense,

My philosophy on writing has always been, if you're going to set up major plot points, or have mysteries/twists in your story, then you should at least have an ending planned out. Like "I know where it starts and I know where it ends." Now how you get there, well there's where you can be more flexible. I don't find "well I'll set it up, and then make up the answer later" to be a particularly effective way to do things, nor passing the buck to another person to answer it either.

MS1, MagnarTheGreat and ChildOfWinds like this.
  10. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I'm definitely thinking this. Especially if Rian asked to include the toddler Rey in the forceback.

11. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Lol don't worry, I'm pretty relaxed. I'm not the one worried about judging real people over their "stupid" SW opinions.

I absolutely agree that it could work. Obviously we won't know until we see the finished product. Maybe it will be great. I just don't see it as a great sign personally. I would have preferred to hear that JJ wrote what he wrote with a purpose that he collaborated with the later writer/directors on. Everything that happened in TFA should have, IMO, been in the context of what was to come. When Kylo Ren called Han a disappointment, I'd rather know JJ had at least a sense of how RJ was going to portray that on the backstory. When Rey saw a bunch of Skywalkers in her force vision, I'd prefer to know that there is definitely a plot purpose that the writers worked out. I'd rather the writing process not be, "it'd be awesome and intriguing to have this mysterious girl have very ambiguous motivations that I don't even know, then someone else can figure out how to make whatever motivations they give her work with what I did."

12. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    That Force dream, well, I forget who was interviewed, but it sounded like it might be "what looked good". I hope not. I hope it had genuine purpose.

MS1 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  13. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I found it intriguing that contrary to what LFL (Kennedy, Abrams, etc.,) have said about having a general trajectory as to where they wanted the trilogy to go, in fact, was pretty much wide open for Rian. That said, as Gigoran Monk mentioned, Rian DID have SOME guidance with the story group. He WANTED imput from them, but allowing him the creative freedom required to tell a new and unique story. Regardless, who cares? What is released is released. Just like the OT and the PT. One moment Luke and Leia are just friends the next minute their long lost twins. I doubt this trilogy is going to deal with that inconsistency in story because the director has the Story Group, but simultaneously, possesses the creative freedom to conjure up a unique narrative.

14. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    The saga films are serialised stories, what inspired Lucas in the first place. Like any serialised fiction you can get some great instalments, some good and some not so good.

Look at comics. Daredevil since Frank Miller essentially reinvented the character has had some of the greatest comic creators spin his story and in the main it's worked perfectly.

With the new era of Star Wars films we have KK and the story group overlooking individual directors and embracing their vision. But maintaining a cohesive vision. That's the point of the story group.

I'm not worried at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Satipo, Gigoran Monk and Demsa Aztor like this.
  15. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    This is a Capitalism vs Communism debate.
    Do you believe in Market Forces, or Government Control?
    Do you believe in Freedom (waves flag and gun) or Oppression (off to the Gulags for you!)

The choice is clear. Don't be a sheeple.

16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Honestly, if I were them, I would've kept using the 'watch the movies to find out what happens' statement. That way, we don't question anything that happens as much. We just assume what we see was always the intended ending, even if it wasn't. But I'm not worried or angry about anything. It'll all work out in the end.

yassir.khan likes this.
  17. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014

*clears throat*; this is a dangerous path...that choice might be "clear" to those who are deceived, but in truth, it's not totally clear.

And similarly with other things, a mix of the two sides that results in grey is the smartest choice. Extremes are no good.

yassir.khan likes this.
  18. Contreras1991

Contreras1991 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 18, 2017
    Financial Wars The Last Capitalist

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  19. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Here's the thing: the best stories often grow organically. Casablanca started shooting with only half a screenplay. That's the first point.

The second point is that if a filmmaker believes in the story, it's going to be a better film. Rian needs to tell the story he believes in, not the story handed to him. Let's not forget, for example, that Richard Marquand participated in the story meetings for ROTJ and contributed to those choices--he wasn't just handed a script.

The third point is that Rian was there while TFA was being made, and Colin has been there since TFA was in post, with the Story Group being a consistent voice along the way. It's not like Rian just dropped in and decided to make a sequel to TFA.

And then you've got examples like Aliens, where a new writer/director comes in and actually makes a great follow-up that is both in his style yet feels like a natural progression.

There are reasons KK has made the choices she has. It's not about recklessness--it's about making the best ST she can.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Except Alien: Resurrection. Never forget.

21. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Quiztime;

The sign over the entrance to LFL HQ is a quote from one of their movies, but which quote?

"I don't know. I'm making this up as I go."

"I have a very bad feeling about this."

"We're gonna remember all of the good times, is what we're gonna do."

22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Fair enough. And again, RJ isn't 100% winging it. He's operating within a general structure and coordinating with the SG. So I think his approach might end up satisfying both our perspectives.

Re: judging other people's opinions, I'm firmly of the opinion that not all opinions are created equal. Especially online. :) And some of them (and their owners) could use a little judging from time to time. Who knows? They might learn to see things differently as a result. Or not. Worth a try, IMO.

23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    “I’ve seen all of the theories… What I do know is that we’re going to make sure that that answer is deeply and profoundly satisfying, because Rey is a character that is important in this universe, not just in the context of The Force Awakens but in the entire galaxy, and she deserves it. Well, hopefully, that’s if Rian hasn’t killed her off. Whatever, I’ll make something up…perhaps a twenty foot tall Snoke with a giant lightsabre. It will be epic.”

24. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    More Good Guy Rian!
    Rian: Haha sorry IMPROVISING not IMPROVING. Bad type
    Typo. Not type. Geeeez
    Tweeter: From what I said, it sounded like I was belittling the work of people working on these films, including writer(s). I'm so sorry.
    Rian: I didn't take it like that, I understand what you meant.

Tweeter: what do you really think of the concept of making a trilogy by handing each movie to a different director without planning 1/2
    A general idea of the plot beforehand? I find it odd but then I'm not in the movie industry. I'm genuinely curious.
    Rian: I actually think it's pretty cool. Each chapter is a reaction to one that came before it, the shape of the whole organically develops.
    https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/869352320533897217

25. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    Reading the "pearl-clutching" comments across social media, this is the distinct impression i'm getting

*OMG the sequel trilogy is a rehash of the OT. There's nothing new *

Rian: "Actually there's no overall plan, we get to create new story"

OMG THESE HACKS ARE MAKING IT UP AS THEY GO ALONG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.