main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
    Luke's x-wing under water...

2. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm surprised they didn't want to get into the motivations for those joining the FO in IX--especially since they discussed it as a group. I wonder if they will go into the conscription or if these will just be things that are.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't know, "Having decimated his brand new X-Wing and without insurance, Luke Skywalker has exiled himself to escape his creditors" doesn't really work for me as the start of the opening crawl. :p

4. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    Maybe Luke decimated a case of pies and that is why he had to...
    poop? :confused:

5. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I'd say that the decimated comment refers to the starkiller attack.

BlurryUFOs likes this.
  6. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Rian's and others' comments that this movie will kind of be totally different than what people would naturally expect, and specifically Rian's comment that to write the story he looked at each character and tried to determine what the most difficult challenge they could face is.

I think a good chunk of the movie could be predicted from that.

Rey: Naturally I would think she goes to find Luke and he trains her as a Jedi and they both return to take down Kylo and Snoke. But the biggest challenge she could face is that Luke isn't who she thinks he is anymore and he doesn't want to train her as Jedi. He wants the Jedi to end and will pursue an alternative plan to defeat the dark side. I'm sure there will also be a major reveal of some relationship between Rey and someone else that challenges her, and maybe even temporarily pushes her to the dark side.

Luke: Naturally, I would think he would feel the call to the light, agree to train Rey as a Jedi and return to fight. But the biggest challenge he could face is that he discovers things on Ahch-To about the Jedi Order that leads him to reject or abandon the Jedi ways he was taught by Obi-Wan and Yoda. He loses his direction in life and has to totally change his plans about how to defeat the dark side.

Leia: Naturally, she would meet back up with Luke and together they would fight hard and defeat the dark side, while maybe Leia will try to save her son. But the biggest challenge she could face is opposition from within...perhaps another anti-First Order leader who comes in and offers assistance but then rivals Leia for power. (Vice Admiral Holdo)

Finn: Naturally, he would establish himself in the Resistance and help fight the First Order. But perhaps, during a mission with Rose, discovers something that makes it a ton harder to accomplish this mission. He probably thought Captain Phasma perished on Starkiller Base, but maybe she will confront him again and threaten his life.

Poe: Naturally, he would be the best pilot and Resistance captain under Leia and would help take down the First Order. But the new face of Admiral Holdo within the Resistance creates conflict that Poe gets caught up in and keeps him back from having a simple mission.

Kylo Ren: Naturally, he would go to train with Snoke, become more powerful, and go to take down the Resistance. But perhaps, despite increased power, he is increasingly lost and regretful in life and maybe even passes over to the light side temporarily.

Snoke: Naturally, he would train Kylo Ren and then prepare the First Order to fight. But maybe he faces a big revelation about Rey or someone else who causes him to question what he is doing. Maybe he attempts to change strategy. And maybe he has a severe physical limitation that makes him vulnerable.

JediLight likes this.
  7. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
  8. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Well I guess the whole abandoning the Jedi thing is not going to turn out to be true because it looks like Rey and Luke Black Series action figures have leaked and on the boxes they say "Jedi Training" and "Jedi Master." I don't think Rey's would say that if she wasn't being trained as a Jedi.

So, major plot spoiler alert, but it looks like Luke initially wants to abandon the Jedi ways but has a change of heart and sticks with it.

9. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Disney just falsely markets the movies. Surprise. Just like they conceal all the humor and jokes the movies do with the certain characters.

10. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    The Jedi will not die, but the ways of the old Jedi might. Thus, the new Jedi will rise.

11. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015

I've been saying dark side rey for awhile... rian seems like he would do it.

12. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    If Kylo's gonna get "lighter," I say Rey getting "darker" is almost thematically necessary.

If she does indeed leave Achoo on the Falcon without Luke, I'm guessing they didn't part on the best of terms...

13. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    Kylo just killed his father. It took Anakin 6 movies to move from light to dark back to light. How could they make that transition with Kylo in just three and it come off with authenticity? I think that's a level of difficulty they don't even want to think about tackling in this trilogy.

14. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    They redeem him but he sacrifices himself for the greater good in the end? That tends to prove that a character's "hero" credentials are 100% legit.

Leia's death, though, would mean the whole Solo family ends up dead :( Making any happy ending pretty bittersweet at best...

But I dunno how set in stone Kylo's arc was to begin with...

15. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    The Skywalker's history has been one of misery from at least Shmi forward. There is also still the possibility that there's another Skywalker-Organa child out there. Could Kylo do the Anakin thing in the end? Yes, but given the fact LFL is getting flak from the TFA being too OT they may be less inclined to wrap up the trilogy that way.

16. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    That's not even true. Anakin went from good guy to bad guy in a couple of minutes, and Vader's road to redemption took a single movie. There's plenty of time to do whatever they want with him.

dogprivilege likes this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We are not going to have this argument. Move on.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  18. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, 'decimate' originally meant to kill every 10th person by lot. Then it could mean to take a tenth of. In Desert Storm when it was reported that the Iraqi Air Firce was decimated by the first sorties, it could have meant they still had 90% of their Air Force. Of course, Rian could have meant to destroy a large proportion of. Or, maybe someone is emotionally decimated. The New Republic? And individual? I doubt it would be Ren being decimated by the news of Leia's death, Rian would have more tact than that. Hmmm. But could Ren or Luke be decimated over Han's death? Luke, pardon the pun, had a hand in his friend's death.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The Jedi Not-Called-The-Jedi-Anymore will assist the Rebellion Resistance in their battle against the Empire First Order and their legion of stormtroopers stormtroopers and fleet of Star Destroyers Star Destroyers and TIE fighters TIE fighters and the evil Sith Knights of Ren.

20. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    How the heck did I quote myself? Sorry about that. Re-edited as double post.

21. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016

Access Hollywood: How is [The Last Jedi] changing the [Star Wars] game?
    Rian Johnson: Well I tried to - I don't know if this'll be an answer - but I tried to kind of not think in those terms 'cause I feel like - on both sides - like I didn't...I was never thinking like, 'Oh, this'll pay homage to this! Oh, this is like that!' But, and I was also never thinking, 'Oh, we're gonna throw this away and do this and we're gonna do this different!' 'cause I think that just leads to bad story choices. For me, it was just like, 'Where should these characters go next?' and what's the most interesting way of telling that. That having been said, there's, you know, this stuff is mythology for those of us who grew up with it and there is just some bedrock stuff that's built into our brains that is Star Wars. And there is like [George] Lucas has said - these movies do rhyme with each other in thematic ways and they have things that reflect things in the previous movies. And so there are ways that through that storytelling process - those are going to happen. But, I hope it's still surprising, I hope there's still enough fresh stuff, I hope we strike a balance.

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Dan Stadnik@DanStadnik 22h22 hours ago
    More

@rianjohnson Now that December is 5 short months away, I wonder... would you do this again? Meaning Ep. X, a Marvel flick, etc...
    Rian Johnson‏Verified account
    @rianjohnson 21h21 hours ago Replying to @DanStadnik I would do another SW movie in a heartbeat. I've had the time of my life.

23. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    Did Rian Johnson ever say which SW movie is his favorite ?

24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't think so. I know Abrams was pretty clear that his was A New Hope, as well as Edwards, who called it his favorite movie of all time, but I don't think Johnson has ever said. If I had to guess, I'd say that Return of the Jedi is his personal favorite but he regards The Empire Strikes Back as the best one, but being a guess I could also be totally and completely wrong.

25. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Rj for an anthology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.