main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Man, Rian Johnson is really a likable guy.

He just seems to really get the reverence of the brand. He says all the right things, embraces the fans and is completely down-to-earth on twitter.

For so some many reasons, mostly because I'm zealous Star Wars fan, I hope The Last Jedi is excellent. But for Rian, I'm hoping it's a smashing success and critically acclaimed. Of course I want it to be great, but I never thought I would want a movie to be great for a director/writer. He sort of deserves it in my book and I hope this isn't his last Star Wars film.

2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If episode 8 will be half as good as Rian is likeable, it will be one of the best movies ever

3. Iceko

Iceko Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2016
    Still wish he was at least writing IX..

4. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Will RJ be involved in 9 at all????

5. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
    Of course, he'll play one of the velociraptors.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    ...in high heels

7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Ditch Colin for Rian?

8. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Hate to be a party pooper but im not really getting a good vibe from what we know and have seen from ep8, this whole thing about it being different and the direction they 'seem' to be going with luke isnt sitting comfortably with me. I really hope ren isn't on a redemption arc as i just dont think I would accept it after what happened in tfa.
    Rian really doesnt inspire confidence in me at all.

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't see how Kylo Ren's redemption would be any harder to accept than Darth Vader's. The former killed his father... the latter physically choked his wife, killed his former mentor in cold blood, chopped off his son's hand, and also slaughtered a bunch of defenseless kids.

10. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Tortured his 19-year old daughter and her boyfriend as well

11. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    That last one is probably understandable from the perspective of most fathers.

12. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    And don't forget... tortured his daughter.

13. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016
    I like the fact that Rian is going down a road that is fresh and new, but still maintains the feel and look of a Star Wars film. I enjoyed TFA, but when certain beats were a clear rip off from ANH, I literally rolled my eyes. Things like the flashback and Jakku were fun and new to me. I think Rian will deepen the lore behind the Jedi and the Force, but be Star Wars.

14. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    1. Choked wife = learned about after rotj released and audiences accepted his redemption
    2. No, during duel, and Obi-wan let him win
    3. Yeap. Not patricide
    4. Horrific, but *not onscreen.* also, see #1
    5. Again, not onscreen.

Onscreen vs offscreen behavior = BFD in terms of how audiences take this stuff.

15. Demsa Aztor

May 29, 2016

You make some good points. I don't think whether it's on screen or off screen, people will lean one way or another in terms of redemption, depending of their own headcanon. In real life, there's no way I'd want Kylo nor Vader redeemed, but the way these films go, I think they will redeem him. How they do that do that in IX or how I or anyone else feels about it is a different story. Would love to know Luke's feelings about that. But I'll seek shelter first before witnessing his anger and hurt towards Kylo.

16. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    The question is why do we need a redeemed Kylo? Also Vader didn't commit patricide onscreen, so I will have a hard time to even consider any redemption for Kylo. :rolleyes:

Jacques who, dan1210 and Master_Lok like this.
  17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Welcome to Pessimisttown. Population: you.

Hope you manage to enjoy the film.

18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I get that, and i kinda hope we don't get a redemtion arc either (at least mot a standard one). But Vader did as bad or worse. The fact that it happened offscreen doesn't make it better.

19. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Gotta happen.

ST = intergenerational conflict and, at last, true reconciliation.

I hate that JJ thought Kylo murdering Han was a super idea. But if Kylo isnt redemed - amd they've practically flat-out stated he will be - you can kiss the ST's structure goodbye. Carrie's death has already screwed things up royally :(

20. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I just fear a Kylo redemption arc will be done in making Luke the big failure or the bad guy. :(

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  21. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    From what they've shown us:

Luke = King Arthur, Kylo = Mordred
    Luke = Space Jesus, Kylo = Space Judas

I think we've got a good handle on how the filmmakers view Luke vs a vis Kylo.

nightangel likes this.
  22. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    If anything, I think Kylo's redemption can only come about if Luke plays a part in it. Luke was the one who told Yoda and Obi-Wan they were wrong and that Vader could be redeemed, and he was right. I think while Luke is going to teach Rey the ways of the Force, she's going to help him rediscover his hope. It's a classic student/teacher kind of story arc, one that pays off for both characters, and it also reminds the audience (and Luke) just who Luke is: the person who refuses to give up on those he loves.

23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If Ben is seen admitting that the act of killing his father has deemed him beyond redemption. But that he is prepared to give his life and sacrifice himself for the greater good? I think that would work in all honesty

24. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Only way he could achieve absolution imo.

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Would like it better if he is not redeemed. His grandfather took that path already. Must there be constant mirrors within Skywalker generations? They've gone so far off the deep end with changes in Force powers etc., so why not keep this different too. Not worried about Luke, myself, but how can I be when the movie is not out yet.

nightangel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.