main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Depends how you view what the ST, and how it completes the Saga.

PymParticles

I think Luke's role will end up being bigger than originally planned.

Remember that TFA trailer where Maz says "Hope is not lost today - it is found."

Luke= ANH

Rey=ANH Mach 2

Thank you, Maz. Loved the "I see your eyes...I KNOW your eyes!" trailer voiceover, too.

Or maybe Rey is the Second Coming?

Can't wait to see the "beating heart" of the new movie, RJ!

nightangel likes this.
  2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    The main reason I'm not convinced 100% that Kylo will be redeemed is this movie is already hero-heavy. We need good villains, and between Snoke and Kylo after TFA, Kylo was the one with potential. People weren't enthralled by Snoke imo. With redeemed Kylo, that means our new generation of heroes includes Rey + Finn + Poe + Rose + Kylo? So we have the OT 3 and the ST 5? And they're fighting… Snoke? Hux? I've read rumors of a new villain, but if that's true, there is still the part where he better be good and compelling. RJ has to create someone to live up to the Vader legacy, or at least try. It seems like we already have him on record that Snoke doesn't play a huge role in this movie...

nightangel likes this.
  3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep I agree, the lack of villains could become a problem, if they go too much the route of conflicted/redeemed Kylo.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Rian Johnson is sad that you're using his thread to talk about Kylo's redemption when we have a thread for that. Don't make Rian Johnson sad. :(

5. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Just kill'im, RJ. KILL THE SPARE!!

(Lol totally kidding folks)

What's the big twist gonna be?

Something re Kylo/Luke/Rey? Gotta be, right?

What it won't be: "I am your father" (SURPRISE!...??), Dark!Luke (because dude, that teaser poster - he's not saint!Luke, we get it)

nightangel likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Haha, I think absolutely -0 about TFA, am hoping for much better odds with TLJ. As far as completing the Saga, we have two movies to go and I cannot place this somewhere in the whole shebang until IX is released. I'd rather not see Kylo mirror Anakin's redemption. They've already altered things beyond recognition with TFA, keep going. Perhaps they'll do something cool with the characters and give them good arcs/growth or no grown that works to serve the stories.

Not being a fan of Rian's work, I am more than willing to give him a chance. In a way, that tempers my enthusiasm and I can see this film without bias or many desires. The story group will do what they do.

I understand you want to discuss things and that's great, your enthusiasm is awesome. I tend to hang back and not follow threads or much news; which is why I jump in every so often and therefore simply question things because that's what I do. :p

7. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Mostly Handless and nightangel like this.
  8. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I get it! :)

I'm like hot/cold on Kylo cause of the patricide thing.

Thing is, if it were up to me...if Kylo dying unredeemed would shoot the fundamentals of the ST/Saga and their themes to sith...I'll take the redemption.

Master_Lok likes this.
  9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Now, see. You bring up a very valid point about the Saga as a whole. Something yours truly did not think about. I can respect your opinion/desire.

JoJoPenelli likes this.
  10. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
  11. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    RJ isn't going to put Kylo on a path that leads to him being a "hero"" or that directly mirrors Vader. The two characters are honestly so different and only similar in outward appearance and circumstances imo, it was a big point in TFA people don't dwell on. And while getting "more evil" could be a viable option for the character if given a certain level of complexity (which RJ would be able to do imo), I don't get the vibe that's happening.

What's sad though is that in IX we're probably gonna see a dilution of whatever RJ brought to the table in VIII, especially since he's writing it.

12. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    If only Colin had such a chance.

13. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  14. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Just in case anyone thought Rian's various reassurances of originality and risk-taking were taking hold among all of nerdom, cast a glance over the reader reaction to this story: http://io9.gizmodo.com/rian-johnson-is-fully-aware-the-last-jedi-might-sound-l-1797685912

I feel bad seeing this because I know those people will eventually get around to sending their idiotic, over the top nerd rage at Rian, who seems like a genuinely nice guy who takes interactions with strangers seriously and personally. Hopefully he'll stop rewarding with engagement and attention all the complainers and will realize they aren't worth it. I don't want to see him quit Twitter like Damon Lindelof did following years of abuse over Lost.

15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Rian is trying to get us not to read stuff? Is their really that big of surprises is this film?[face_thinking]

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've actually tried my absolute hardest to resist looking at the comment sections on any site. They're usually over reactionary, and filled with conclusions based on poor reading comprehension or logical leaps, with a "I'm smart because I hate things" brand of pessimism and cynicism that I find both boring and unhealthy. The film itself will either prove these people right or wrong, and there's no use engaging with those who've mad when up their minds already, even if only by reading their rants.

17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    for anyone with kids.
    Rian Johnson‏Verified account @rianjohnson 2h2 hours ago
    More
    Replying to @davechensky
    It really depends on the 7 year old. There are intense things in the movie, but I don't think anything worse than in the OT or prequels.

Mostly Handless and Darth Smurf like this.
  18. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Rian a there were poop and fart jokes in the prequels and man burned alive in the prequels. Care to narrow that down a bit?

19. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I think he means that we will not see a man on fire step in poop.

20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The needless anxiety over whether TLJ will be ESB redux is merely another classic case of fans blowing their concerns and presumptive critiques way out of proportion.

Satipo likes this.
  21. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

....Kids, grab your jacket! We are goin to the cinema! They said Star Wars - The last Jedi is suitable for you!

Mostly Handless and starocean90 like this.
  22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    My perspective on it is this: attending town hangings or beheadings used to be an activity for the whole family to enjoy, and aside from the smallpox and polio people back then turned out mostly okay kind of, so how bad can watching fictional laser sword violence really be?

Mostly Handless and yassir.khan like this.
  23. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015

You don't have kids, have you?
    As soon as they start to play things like that in the school's garden...
    [​IMG]
    ...some official will knock on your door.

But yeah, some may have a different point of view
    [​IMG]
    [face_laugh] 8-}

24. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
  25. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.