main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    What does that even mean? Of course "characters will be diminished". What is drama if not a series of situations that change the place in which power resides from character to character?

2. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015

TFA did a good diminishing job, TLJ should not add fuel to that, and if so, the reason should be really, really good.

ChildOfWinds and nightangel like this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm good with what he says there.
    He has to tell and interesting story, and more so, a story that digs into the characters rather than merely providing lightsaber fights and spaceships.

I'm looking forward to this.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    So RJ has said he would do another SW movie in a heartbeat, but he's not returning to direct IX. My guess is he'd rather do a standalone, having already explored what he wanted to explore with the characters of the sequel trilogy. Which means VIII is likely to be a satisfying film that can stand as a complete work while also being part of a larger story. Sounds good!

Mostly Handless likes this.
  5. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Four years from now..........."Rian Johnson is in talks to direct Star Wars Episode 10"

6. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Yikes! That's a Max Landis-esque quote. I could totally see him saying something like that.

Jazz9276 likes this.
  7. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013

Honestly, I think the only thing stopping RJ from taking this on was the timeframe. Looking at all his past projects, he had his own schedule to write each of them. Even TLJ he had a huge run up on. So it'd be a lot to ask to jump from the biggest movie of your career straight into the sequel with no real break. Whereas JJ is comfortable enough with tight deadlines and can work successfully in the LFL machine.

8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    My guess is Johnson is simply wanting a break after TLJ...And also he wants to get his hands on a stand-alone SW story, so he can create more characters on his own (I guess for TLJ he created Holdo, DJ and Rose), but I mean he probably wants to conceive of the main villain and create all the big characters, and have slightly more creative freedom with it. If TLJ does well, and obviously KK loves him, then I expect Johnson will be at the top of the short list for directing any anthology films after the Obi-Wan movie (though if Daldry falls through maybe Johnson would want that one).

Or maybe Johnson has a specific film he wants to pitch Kennedy or already has? A bounty hunter/gangsters story? Or something that takes place between ROTJ and TFA?

Honestly, I'd love a situation where if 10-12 get made, Johnson is the producer and co-writer on all three movies and helps pick the directors and works closely with them for quality and consistency of the story. They could really map it out as a three-part saga if they got Johnson to be "show-runner" for the next trilogy.

9. AloneinSpace

AloneinSpace Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 21, 2015
    RJ for Obi-wan!

Trikuza23 likes this.
  10. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Are you the Human Torch?

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I will neither confirm nor deny that.

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The Hollywood Reporter - 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Director Rian Johnson to Appear at IrelandWeek

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...or-rian-johnson-appear-at-irelandweek-1038957

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Well the comments RJ made 8 years ago do not sound anti-women, that is like me saying "Yeah I am a nerd because I made a Godzilla hand puppet in the first grade." (Which is true, where does the anti anything come in?)

That Rian took an active interest in the characters and the actors who play them, says everything. I will growl and grumble after I see the movie IF such a response is warranted in my hawt fan woman heart. Somehow I doubt I will be as rankled as I was after TFA.

14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    But were you denied a bank loan?

yassir.khan likes this.
  15. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm still a big fan of getting Edwards for Obi-wan. After what he did with Jedha, I think he'd really bring Tatooine to life.

But I'd also take RJ if Daldry doesn't end up doing it.

16. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I think AloneinSpace means that Rian should play Obi-Wan. ;)

17. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    So, trailer before or after that? I hope it's after so he can comment a bit on it.

18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/star-wars-last-jedi-new-john-boyega-kelly-marie-tran-image

19. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Rian gets it. Though I do think Bespin served that purpose as well. A gleaming city in the clouds. It always felt like a refreshing location to me, after the barren sands and snows of previous planets.

Mostly Handless and dogprivilege like this.
  20. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    i live in LA, is it possible to get a ticket to this thing? or is it just for film makers?

21. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    I agree to an extent, but I feel its very much a product of its time and isn't entirely "Gleaming" the way I'd describe Coruscant, Kamino, or Canto Bight.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Oh, sure. But it also (visually) was very different from the gritty, barren, sparsely populated backwaters of Tatooine and Hoth. It was a city with lots of people in it. And generally pretty clean and bright.

That said, for anyone saying Canto Bight is a Cloud City rehash, that's still a stretch. Cloud City was essentially a big wildcat mine in the sky, not a playground for the super-rich. They are different enough to avoid that accusation.

Satipo likes this.
  23. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Is RJ tighter than JJ? Or is Lucasfilm tighter? Didn't we have a plot outline here at TFN for VII by now?

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Canto Night is more a big Cantina scene anyway.

25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    A bit of both I think. LFL absolutely cracked down on security after the art work and production info leaks on TFA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.