main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson to write and direct Episode VIII (and also new SW Trilogy - see page 194)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It's doing a disservice to both Finn and Rey. And it's not needed. Why is it that, as soon as we get a female main hero, NOW we suddenly have to do a love triangle (when they've never done it before)? Really how cliché can you get?

loststars likes this.
  2. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016

If they do that I'll tear my own head off so I won't have to watch it or listen to anyone talk about it. Rey is so much better than that and Finn is as well.

3. gizka

gizka Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2016
    Lol, Kylo's shuttle gets shut down, he's stranded with our heroes on some forsaken planet, and they all have to play Survivor/Lost (another JJ Abrams creation!) together while Luke plays therapist on how to get over your sister/cousin. More likely though is that Kylo turns out like the bear attacking DiCaprio in The Revenant.

I have noticed that romantic love does come into play as a protagonist motivation in Rian's movies. Who knows? Maybe the romance element will come from flashbacks of Luke's wilder days. The Very Lonely Luke twitter account is making me feel seriously bad for the dude.

Dame sans merci likes this.
  4. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    I meant more that the Finn-equivalent character is a complete wet blanket. But I do agree with you on the love triangle thing.

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    As Rian showed the Ep. 8 crew Letters Never Sent to get them accustomed to his style, here are a few great clips from the film which might give you a sense of what Rian may do in terms of certain shots/ compositions.

I think we're in for a visual treat, at the very least.

6. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015

Is there more than one JabbatheHumanBeing?

7. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Just responding to your hypothetical "if you ask me." :)

8. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015

Yeah. Your curt response was unnecessary.. as you can now appriciate.

9. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    You said, about Luke in the promo shot:

I simply found it impossible to take that comment seriously.

10. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    There's some of it with Luke, Han, and Leia, although it's not given a lot of narrative attention.

11. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Not really. There's a bit of attraction between Luke and Leia in ANH, but nothing ever goes anywhere. Han spends most fo the movie being mean to her, and her to him. His only hint of attraction is a brief basically hypothetical "what if" scenario, which is quickly shot down by Luke.

Then of course by the time of ESB, the writers are all in on Han/Leia, and Luke is basically removed as a possibility (and no, the kiss doesn't count because that was clearly a "I'm ticked at Han and want to try and make him jealous" type of deal, nothing more).

It's only a "love triangle" if you REALLY stretch the definition of the word. This sounds like it'd be more of a full-on love triangle, which again DO NOT WANT!!

12. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    I wouldn't necessarily call it a love triangle, what if it's more like a battle for Rey's soul? Her battling temptation to the dark side from Kylo, while Finn would be there on the other side desperately trying to convince her to come back to the light.

It would place this poster in better context

[​IMG]

13. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Nope, still don't like it. I just don't care for the idea that she's "up for grabs" between two men in her life in ANY way. Don't like it AT ALL!! That's just so freaking cliché, and of course the female lead would have to endure that crap, which is even more cliché.

14. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    You're looking at it from the love triangle point of view. That's not what I wrote. If Kylo wants Rey as his new apprentice, how will he accomplish that? By bringing her over to the darkside. When she got into Kylo's head and when she slashed his face, she was using the dark side. The novels confirms it. It would make sense that the dark side will play a major role in Rey's character going forward.

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Not so sure above that. The "perceived" love triangle does indeed feature across all three films. In ANH, Luke encourages Han to not pursue Leia given his own attraction to her. In ESB, Leia makes Han jealous by kissing Luke on the lips in front of him. In ROTJ, Han believes that Luke and Leia love each other romantically until the end, when Leia reveals that they're siblings.

So while I really don't want a love triangle in the ST, as I feel it would diminish Rey (and I don't like them as a narrative device) the OT definitely had a "love triangle lite."

Dra--- and nightangel like this.
  16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    No I'm not.

what if it's more like a battle for Rey's soul? Her battling temptation to the dark side from Kylo, while Finn would be there on the other side desperately trying to convince her to come back to the light.

I don't like her, or her "soul," being reduced to a prop for the two young attractive men in her life to "battle over." In ANY way, not just romantic. It's so freaking cliché and typical.

loststars likes this.
  17. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Then how else is she going to be tempted to the darkside? Snoke and Kylo have to be involved in her temptation don't they?

18. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
  19. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Well, you know, preoccupations and hardship can sometimes drive an artist to make an even better film...so I wouldn't worry just yet.

20. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    True .. but the timing is not great though at least we know now that Rian was being courted by KK as far back as 2012..

21. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016
    People do petty things when someone's makes it big and they think they deserve more. Either way Rian has an attorney that will do the heavy lifting with this. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets thrown out before he really has to do anything.

Chewies_bandolier and IoJovi like this.
  22. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    It could inspire a rewrite. Rey sues Kylo for false imprisonment. Kylo counter sues Rey for mental abuse and defamation of character. Kylo sues Luke for breach of contract. Hux sues Snoke for on the job discrimination. The possibilities are endless.

BB-8 My Homework and IoJovi like this.
  23. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    wut???

LUKE
    So... what do you think of her, Han?

HAN
    I'm trying not to, kid!

LUKE
    (under his breath)
    Good...

HAN
    Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I
    don't know, what do you think? Do
    you think a princess and a guy like
    me...

LUKE
    No!

Luke says it with finality and looks away. Han smiles at
    young Luke's jealousy.

-----------------------------
    LEIA
    My...! Why, you stuck up,... half-
    witted... scruffy-looking ...nerf-
    herder!

HAN
    Who's scruffy-looking?
    (to Luke)
    I must have hit pretty close to
    the mark to get her all riled up
    like that, huh, kid?

Leia looks vulnerable for a moment, then the mask falls again, and she focuses
    on Luke.

LEIA
    Why, I guess you don't know
    everything about women yet?

With that she leans over and kisses Luke on the lips. Then she turns on her
    heel and walks out, leaving everyone in the room slightly dumbstruck. With some
    smugness, Luke puts his hands behind his head and grins.

24. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I personally don't consider that to be a "proper" love triangle. By the time that things really start getting serious with Han and Leia (IE not a single, throwaway "what if" scenario that gets quickly shot down) in ESB, Luke is pretty much completely out of the picture as far as potential LI for Leia goes. And even the kiss was part of her attraction to HAN, to make him jealous/annoyed,

That's quite different than doing a more full-on love triangle between Rey, Finn, and Kylo.

25. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003
    Twilight and The Hunger Games called. They said enough with the love triangles already!

Here's to Rey being Mary Tyler Moore and not needing to be defined by a man/boyfriend.

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.