main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson wanted to "Move Beyond" the Skywalkers

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jaqen, Dec 21, 2017.

1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Rian Johnson reveals that one of his motives in making Rey unrelated to the Skywalkers was to open the Star Wars franchise up beyond the Skywalker focus:

It was also part of Johnson's desire to broaden the Star Wars stories from the Skywalker family. "The original trilogy and the prequel trilogy being the story of the Skywalkers made sense," he said. "I think now if we want to keep telling stories in this world, and I do, it has to move beyond that."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/rey-the-last-jedi?utm_term=.esW1v48VQ#.ljpxk4YX6

He further expounds on his belief that one shouldn't have to be from a certain lineage to be chosen of the Force.

2. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Isn't that what the anthology movies are for? And him getting his own trilogy?

Chewie2237, Ren Kylo, Shadao and 41 others like this.
  3. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    :oops:Every single saga movie has been about a Skywalker. :oops:

Why change it now?!?

4. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    But he's right IMO. I never thought you had to be a Skywalker to be super powerful or that Anakin would be the most powerful Force-sensitive of all time. That wasn't ever what I got from the OT/PT... [face_dunno]

I am sad though if that means they are going to kill all the Skywalkers. :(

Chained Prometheus and Strongbow like this.
  5. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    It is indeed. And Rey not being a Skywalker allows those movies to work better while still allowing the focus of this trilogy to be on the Skywalker family.

6. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    I hate the idea that every episode has to be intrinsically tied to a Skywalker.

I agree with Rian’s decision.

7. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    JJ felt the same way. So do I. Kylo Ren is still a Skywalker but I couldn’t be happier to be moving away from all things Skywalker. We’ve heard the best of their stories.

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    ok..o_O

9. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Remember when people were convinced Finn was Lando’s son? Glad to be moving past the Muppet babies approach. One descendent from 2 great characters is fun but if everyone was it would get a little annoying.

10. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    *cough* We don't know that Finn isn't Lando's son...

Although I'm sure he's not. It would be really weird if Lando shows up in IX being like, my son was stolen from me by the FO! That would have me laughing hysterically for like five minutes.

I would like to see Lando in IX though. I really would. (As long as they do not kill him. Lando cannot die.)

Dak Oolron and robbman21 like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember when people were convinced that Mace Windu was Lando’s great grandfather.

I initially was not in favor of the Skywalker lineage ending but I am now, and Johnson is right. The idea that Star Wars movies must be about Skywalkers—even Saga movies—until the end of time is pretty limiting. It also sets up the idea of a “Force royalty” of sorts; we did not have that issue in the PT but Order 66 took care of that.

I’m still disappointed that Han and Leia did not have more children, that Luke did not have any children, and that Kylo is the one on whom the Skywalker lineage will end, but I certainly understand Johnson’s point.

12. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Way before Rip Johnson was ever hired I did not want Rey to be Skywalker. The universe does not need to be that small. That does not change the fact that T LJ was atrocious.

13. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    That is great but the episodes are the Skywalker Saga. Suggesting something else in 8 is fine but in 9 it has to come down to that and provide adequate resolution. You don't just start a completely new story in the 3rd act

14. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    :D

Hopeless and oncafar like this.
  15. carte blanche

carte blanche Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 14, 2017
    Saga films: Randoms
    Spinoff films: Randoms

Thanks I’ll pass!

16. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    What's the point of making a distinction between them, then?

speckledroman, nightangel and km31 like this.
  17. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Something tells me this was a, if not the, source of disagreement between GL and the new powers that be at LFL.

18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Maybe the idea is to bring the Skywalkers to an end in EpIX, making it the definitive end of the Skywalker Saga?

19. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Maulish, 2Cleva, LordDallos and 5 others like this.
  20. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Bright side. There is always a chance of a new Vader film. Even if JEJ can't do it, dude is in a mask. He doesn't age. Great new voice and away we go. If we are going to break the barriers, lets get the interesting stuff.

But even then, you need the focus to be on the Skywalkers to do that and make it meaningful. Not make them supporting characters in what are supposedly meant to be their own movies. I like the new characters but I have to admit, in my heart of hearts, for the grand scheme of the story, I don't care about Finn, Rose or Poe. Not at this point, so close to what is supposedly the end of this 40 year family tale.

And even then, having the non-Skywalkers there at the end doesn't really matter, its their last movie too. Its not like they are picking up and going forward anyway.

km31 likes this.
  21. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    I have to agree. It's not a matter of it being about "royalty" or whatever. The ST is the 3rd act. It needs to be a culmination of what came before. Every decision made in the creative process that didn't think of this trilogy as an end to a narrative was the wrong one.

Maulish, KSkywalker, 2Cleva and 7 others like this.
  22. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    We still have one living Skywalker in IX. And ghost Luke will no doubt be around.

Birkendoc likes this.
  23. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    The Episodes are about the Skywalker saga.

Rian can 'move on' past them with his own trilogy and anthology movies. But they should have kept the episodes about the Skywalker saga, at the very least, until episode 9.

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I agree with that sentiment. IMO, if Lucas intended for the franchise to be based solely on the Skywalker family, it would be called THE SKYWALKERS instead of "Star Wars. Anakin's story was the PT. Luke's was the OT. Yes, you have another Skywalker (Kylo) in this ST, but the storylines do not have to revolve around him.

25. VengefulRepublic

VengefulRepublic Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2016
    I agree with Star Wars being larger than simply the Skywalkers, but why is the Sequel Trilogy advertised as part of the Skywalker Saga ? There is a disconnect. Lucasfilm would have been better served simply to have avoided the ST altogether and used Rian Johnson's trilogy as the starting point for a new slate of films back in 2015.

Maulish, 2Cleva, Miriedis and 8 others like this.