main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson wanted to "Move Beyond" the Skywalkers

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jaqen, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Alpha Cloudleaper

Alpha Cloudleaper Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Yet you continue to do so.

2. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    You think someone is being ridiculous by suggesting that TLJ is a remake?

3. Alpha Cloudleaper

Dec 28, 2015
    You act as though I want SW to fail. You miss the mark in what I am saying. TLJ is a quality stand alone film. I have said that in many previous threads. MY ISSUE is the continuity within the process. I would be saying the same thing if Lord of the Rings for example had poor continuity.

MY FEAR is that the QUALITY of the films is in jeopardy. If they continue to make films that IMO don't make smooth transitions from one to the next when they call it a trilogy, then yes, I will lose interest as I suspect many others will.

NEVER took for granted each film would be great, did take for granted that the connection between films in a TRILOGY would be clear & concise. That's where my concern lies. PERSONALLY, I did not think we got this from TFA to TLJ.

Again, JMO.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Shadao and 2Cleva like this.
  4. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    Speaking from personal experience, as someone who works in t.v. land, Disney will 100% be concerned with the backlash. People involved in production hate even the slightest bit of negativity.
    Now im not saying Johnson will lose his trilogy, that heads are going to roll, or that they will be sat under desks with tinfoil hats on... but they will have eyes going over all the negative press no matter where it's popping up or who it's from.

5. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    All due respect this was not the case even during the OT.

Empire ignored aspects of ANH's story, just as ROTJ spit in the face of everything by turning Leia into Luke's sister. You can't tell me there was a 'clear and concise' plan for that.

Flawless continuity would be great, but at the end of the day all we can hope for are good movies.

jaqen and Alpha Cloudleaper like this.
  6. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    Yeah that is true and I know the reasons Disney are going in that direction but FOR ME I want the saga films to be focused around the Skywalkers and have a conclusion (which we may indeed get) and then have loads of other stories set in the same universe.

2Cleva likes this.
  7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Absolutely.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I don't think "moving beyond the Skywalkers" is a good idea for the 8th movie in a 9-movie saga.

Terrible story planning.

But I highly doubt Rian will lose his trilogy. Disney doesn't care about the negative backlash that much because there are still tons of casual fans who loved TLJ, and the new trilogy will make $$.

2Cleva likes this.
  9. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    - Main heroes from last movie are split apart and endure own separate adventures.
    - Underdog rebels on the run from overpowered imperials.
    - Young jedi hopeful seeks training from old hermit on isolated, distant planet.
    - Planet is home to a 'dark side' dwelling where hero must enter for the sake of soul searching.
    - Student learns the nature of the force and the danger of the dark side.
    - Teacher purposefully holds back information from student in order to shield the truth.
    - Jedi hero believes dark jedi villain can be redeemed.
    - Jedi hero leaves planet against the wishes of their master.
    - Jedi hero willingly turns themselves over to dark jedi villain and his evil old master who can shoot lightning.
    - Evil old master warns hero that they've been led into a trap, hero claims that they are overconfident.
    - Villain betrays his evil old master and aids our hero.
    - Evil master has his own guards in full red armor.
    - Good guy rebels disguised as imperials as they infiltrate evil headquarters.
    - A new character is introduced. He is a friend at first, turns out to be a traitor.
    - Battle on snowy white terrain featuring speeders and imperial walkers.

Pop Quiz: Which Star Wars movie(s) am I talking about.

10. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Please explain how Disney is supposed to do that? Please explain how Disney is supposed to take Star Wars in new directions while keeping things exactly as you want them to be?

11. Alpha Cloudleaper

Dec 28, 2015
    Cannot disagree with your point. I do feel the plot points however in the OT need a little more latitude b/c GL had no idea if he would ever make another SW film. That had to change some of the dynamic when he was making ANH.

Ultimately though, I don't feel the plot points you mentioned really affected the films in terms of continuity. We still knew who the main antagonist & protagonists were. We still understood what the struggle was going to be. We still knew Luke had to face DV. They also threw in the one of the greatest cinematic twists w/ the father reveal which I thought was excellent story telling.

My issue w/ the continuity is that Idk what's considered within the realms of believable in relation to the force, Idk what the KOR role is or if we will even see them after they made action figures out of them for the TFA, had flashbacks about them, credited them w/ helping to overthrow Luke's temple, IDK if Maz K is important or not after I thought she was going to be really important, Idk if we'll ever find out how she came upon Luke's saber after they teased us it would be a story for another time. I feel like I could continue with the Idk's but I think I made my point.

Maybe it will be revealed in ep9. MY CONCERN is that b/c they are using different directors for different movies with their own takes on things etc & seem to be writing a script for each movie separately from the whole is that many of the plot threads get lost from one to the next.

That is the issue for me & I believe most who did not like the movie. I don't think most fans are pouting b/c it's not the story they were hoping for. I think most are pouting b/c it's not really a smooth transition. At least that's how I feel anyway.

Like I stated in an earlier post, if Lord of the Rings felt this incongruous I would feel the same way.

12. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    There is no Star Wars movie that hits all of those points.

13. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    Half of them belong to ESB.
    Half of them belong to ROTJ.
    All of them belong to TLJ.

Just like TFA was a remake of ANH, TLJ was a combination remake of ESB and ROTJ. Unless you want to argue against these blatant similarities.

14. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Turns out Luke was even a bigger a hole. Leaving a child is nothing compared to being about to kill his nephew.

15. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    *Ducks in the TLJ threads to see if people are still complaining about TLJ. Doot da doo. Ducks back out*.

jaqen, Ruffmeian and rorow1 like this.
  16. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Rey: "Who are you?"

Lando: " Lando Calrissian. Man I haven't seen you since I left you on that planet jakku"

***Rey Calrissian***

Commence threats towards disney

jaqen, Hopeless and Ren Kylo like this.
  17. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    lmfao. so casual

18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Perhaps one of the issues is that when Disney announced a new Star wars sequel trilogy people were excited by the idea of a continuation with the Original characters while introducing new characters next to them who could take over from them by the 3rd of the new trilogy.

The mentality was that luke was still gonna be very important to this new trilogy but TLJ sorta showed he wasn't all that important.

19. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    Hit the nail on the head (for me at least). Totally expect and even want the torch passed on but not yet. Perhaps our complaints are premature though because we don't yet have IX and it could be that Luke is still fairly prominent as a Force Ghost? Obviously Carrie dying has screwed with any plans KK JJ and RJ might have sketched out.

Alpha Cloudleaper likes this.
  20. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    There is no snowy terrain in TLJ.

21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Correction: It's Rando Calrissian.

jaqen, Ren Kylo, rorow1 and 1 other person like this.
  22. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    Okay then.[face_laugh]

2Cleva likes this.
  23. Alpha Cloudleaper

Dec 28, 2015
    The only problem I have w/ what you are saying (not actually a problem w/ you but with the fact Disney has put us in this situation which in turn necessitated your comments) is that after 2 years of speculation, TLJ comes out & I feel like it basically says "we're going to make you speculate for 2 more years......ABOUT THE SAME QUESTIONS. Who's Reys' parents? Are they REALLY nobodies, or is that KR telling us so prob a lie. What's Luke's role in the trilogy? Is he gone - gone, force Gohst Luke mentor, or w/ the "new force" stuff can he actually participate in real life still since Yoda looked real v. spirit, Who is Snoke for God's sake? Now we also have to guess if Snoke is even really dead? I mean, we got NOTHING.

That's what pisses me off about TLJ. Not that it's bad, just didn't answer a lot of stuff we get teased about in the TFA...so then we have to wait 2 more years to see if we get any answers to many of our questions, or .....do they just say meh...

24. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Well, they said there never were any set plans for the broad strokes of the trilogy. But the extent to which they don`t have an outline means each movie is basically a case of "this is my movie, no idea what the next guy does".

So I would say RJ has pretty much ended the Skywalker saga already but that tells us nothing about JJ having the exact same plans or not.

MS1 and 2Cleva like this.
  25. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    You asked what movie it was. I answered honestly.