main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rick McCallum on THE most powerful Force user ever (Hyperspace)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Sidious_1983, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Sidious_1983

Darth_Sidious_1983 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    In the "Becoming Sidious" documentary, Rick says this (pretty much confirming my original position on Force users and their relative power - and who just owns everybody in terms of Force power):

Ian is a classical Shakespearean actor, you know. The last thing in the world that he can do, or wants to do, is be a Jedi master, you know. He is not a Jedi master; he's got to be even more powerful than the Jedi.

2. padawan_Timmins

padawan_Timmins Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    If by "power" you mean the strength of his lightening or his skill with a lightsaber then perhaps Sideous is the most powerful. But in terms of wisdom or true knowledge of the Force he is lacking. For all his "power" he is a miserable man, twisted by anger, greed, & fear. He does not understand all sides of the Force as he claims, he is blinded by the Dark Side, otherwise he would have seen the good in Vader. Palpatine's fury, anger, and hatred is beaten by the patience of Obi-wan, the wisdom of Yoda, the faith of Luke, & the love still smouldering in Vader.

Wisdom is the true power of the Force not throwing lightening bolts or weilding a lightsaber.

"Is the Dark Side stronger?"

"NO -- quicker, easier, more seductive."

3. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    It is pretty clear that the Emperor is the most powerful Force user. He is never defeated by anyone, and he controls events throughout the six episodes of the saga. No one even comes close in terms of power and influence. The manner of his death is also instructive: he is betrayed and surprised by Vader. Clearly the conclusion is that even the most powerful individual (the Emperor) can fall almost by accident.

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The Emperor exerts outer-power. He is able to manipulate the darkside in a way which gives him an edge over the Jedi. He has control over his anger and fear and is able to release them, but at the same time it seems as if his anger and fear also control him. A rather complex relationship. So he will probably win any duel against a Jedi.

However, in terms of inner-power and strength, he is by no means the most powerful.

There are distictions and it all depends on context and definition.

-Seldon

5. MASTERJOEDA1974

MASTERJOEDA1974 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    I find it amazing that everyone says it's Palpy who's the baddest. Least we forget who was handing Sidious' wrinkled arse to him in the senate (both with and EVEN MORE SO WITHOUT THE LIGHTSABER!). Was it not Sidious who was trying to LEAVE while our little green friend begins to talk the smack? And don't give me that Yoda was beaten the minute he walked in when Palpy zapped him with the lightning. It's called a CHEAP SHOT! Do we expect any less from the Sith? Yoda clearly is the greatest force user for one mere fact, he doesn't obtain his power from the darkside which is easier to tap into. No...he works for his mojo people.

6. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Thats just B.S.

"Into exile, I must go... *Fail(sob)ed*, I have,"

Sidious *is* more powerful than Yoda- but he and Obi-Wan Kenobi, the last of the Jedi, are destined to be given the wisdom from beyond the funeral pyre, to train a New kind of Jedi, to defeat him.

So, perhaps, even Luke wasn't as powerful as Sidious in "Jedi" terms, but the Force was with him.

That's all that matters.

7. MASTERJOEDA1974

May 29, 2005
    If it's such BS then why DOES Palpy try to leave the fight with Yoda? The ONLY reason Yoda didn't continue the fight with him was ummm maybe because a few million clone troopers would be on their way. Yoda was beating Palpy WITHOUT his lightsaber. He shoved Palpy's lightning right back up Palp's wrinkled rear end. Thats just a plain and simple fact unless you saw a different version of the movie.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    McCallum is not Lucas.

9. Winston_Sith

Apr 8, 2004
    Come on... we all have seen that Yoda can deal with Clones, quitle handily...

But, a Force user more powerful than he is? That's another story.

And it was Yoda who ran away at the end, simpering, NOT Sidious.

Sidious was just trying to relocate himself into a position that would allow him to toy with Yoda better.

After Yoda pulled off his greatest feat in the fight, sending Sidious (and, himself, in the process), over the edge of the Senate pod (and notice how Yoda bumped into *multiple* pods during his fall). Yoda was wincing, and grunting while he was hanging off the edge of the Senate pod.

And what was Palpatine doing while hanging from the same pod he was thrown from?

Laughing.

In fact, he was laughing most of the time during their duel, while Yoda was grim and determined, and got his little green rear-end handed to him.

10. MASTERJOEDA1974

May 29, 2005
    Palpy was laughing for the mere fact that his plans were coming to fruition. Second because Palpy knew if he held out a little longer, send in the clones. Now please, did you NOT see the look on palp's face when Yoda threw the lightning back at him? Did you just block that scene out? It was the face of fear, fear that his powers were just not going to get his little green friend. The only way to get him, outnumber him, overwhelmingly. Yoda is powerful but not stupid or suicidal.

11. Winston_Sith

Apr 8, 2004
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... whatever.

I've seen ROTS about 10 times now, and no, that fearful look on Sid's face, and that confident, and ,<Yoda voice>determined, yes, very determined</Yoda voice> look on Yoda's face as he was getting his little green butt handed to him in the Senate Rotunda were not lost on me, at any time.

But look at what Yoda's determination (determination inspired by a thousand years of archaich, and faulty Jedi Council doctrine) got him: He was flung off the Senate pod, same as Sidious,

Big deal.

He lost, and he never had the nerve to face Sidious again.

Sidious, like Obi-Wan on Mustafar, had the high ground.

Yoda never did.

Anyway, my point in my first post in this thread was, however, that Yoda was later given an advantage in the Force, through Qui-Gon's teachings, that Sidious never had any knowledge of.

So it doesn't matter if Yoda was a weaker Force user than Sidious in ROTS.

He still won in the end.

So there.

12. MASTERJOEDA1974

May 29, 2005
    Alright I got ya now. However, who knows if we'll get some backstory on Palps from Lucasfilm? It would definetly fill in the holes. Remember, just because we don't see or hear about how Palpy got to be such a bad mofo, it doens't mean he does or doesn't have someone or something to refer to. Come to think of it, we barely know Yoda is getting the 411 from Qui Gon when you think about it. I thought that was a very WEAK part of the movie. Lucas should have left the Qui Gon scene in or create one that flowed better. Just to have Yoda tell Obi, in exile we'll go and by the way I just had a chat with your dead master left some people in the theater going WHAAT?

13. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Ian is a classical Shakespearean actor, you know. The last thing in the world that he can do, or wants to do, is be a Jedi master, you know. He is not a Jedi master; he's got to be even more powerful than the Jedi.

Is McCallum talking about the actor or the character here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.