main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rick McCallum wrote the opening crawls?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TCF-1138 , Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viceroy_Wagar

Viceroy_Wagar Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2004
    http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/production/f20050126/index.html

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/production/f20050126/indexp2.html

Rick M DID NOT write the crawls. In my opinion, they are all very well written, interesting, and differnt. I especially like the one for Episode III. Very original.

2. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

I think the ROTS crawl was actually written by a six year old.

3. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    If McCallum had written any of the opening crawls I think we'd know about it. I'm sure the censors would have something to say about that amount of profanity in a family film.:p

Re: Episode 3's crawl, I'm still curious to know exactly who these "heroes" were on the Separatists' side. Grievous maybe?

I remember reading the ROTS crawl online and just refusing to believe it could be real. Actually, the same could be said of a lot of what ended up in the movie.[face_mischief]

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I think the "heroes on both sides" line is part of the "point of view." From the Separatist point of view, they DO have heroes, and the heroes of the Republic are seen as villains.

5. Sanctuary_Moon

May 20, 2004
    Ousley - but aren't we, as viewers, meant to be rooting for the heroes of the Republic? What do we care if the Separatists think Grievous, Gunray or Dooku are heroes? I know that in ROTS, the line between good and evil is supposed to be a fine one but this was a vague, throwaway line that does nothing for the opening of Ep 3.

I won't even get into "War!"[face_plain]

No matter whether Rick had a hand in it or not, I do feel that ROTS has by far the worst crawl of the Saga. And that is something I never thought I'd say after seeing "The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute..."I-)

6. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Not necessarily. Remember, in this film it's hard to tell who the "bad guy" is. Palpatine places a lot of focus on "point of view" - he uses it to twist Anakin's mind. I think that the crawl sets up the viewer for what he/she is going to see in the film. We think that Palpatine is a good guy, but he turns out to be the Sith Lord. We think the Republic is good, but it's actually going to support the destruction of the Jedi and turn into the Empire. Saying "there's heroes on both sides" muddies the water a bit from the get-go.

edit(s) - markups and adding a sentence

7. Sanctuary_Moon

May 20, 2004
    Hmm...not quite sure how well this sits with "the fiendish droid leader General Grievous" or Nute Gunray's multiple attempts to murder Padme. Not to mention the origins of the Death Star seen in AOTC, or the fact that the Separatists were led by a Sith Lord!

My point is, Lucas has painted the Separatists as villains throughout the movies, and all of a sudden they are "heroes"? This crawl comes off as badly written to me. If it is meant to do what you suggest and muddy the waters, it might have helped if Lucas had introduced a bit of ambiguity earlier on and not been so clear that the Separatists were the bad guys in AOTC.

8. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I have no problem with the RotS crawl...I mean isn't the ANH crawl also kind of cheesy as well : EVIL GALACTIC EMPIRE!!! Yes we get it,the Empire is evil [face_mischief] And what's wrong with WAR!It's the clone wars and not everyone coming to see the film knows what the situation is in the beginning.Better to explain it right at the start.
    And it's also kind of funny... :D

9. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Not necessarily. Remember, in this film it's hard to tell who the "bad guy" is.

The problem with this is that the opening crawl isn't for the character's benefit, it's for the audiences. However, at no point does the audience get a sense of heroism from the Seperatists. Lucas is consistant in painting them as evil in ROTS. In AOTC there was a part in the movie (early on) where they could have been viewed as OK, but by ROTS they are openly led by a Sith and someone who goes by "Grievous", attacking worlds, and kidnapping politicians. We don't see the political idealism from them anymore. They're pretty obviously pawns of evil.

10. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Point taken. ;)

Personally, I see it as a nice addition to the ambiguity in the film, but I certainly see where you're coming from.

11. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    In any and all wars, there are "heroes on both sides". End of story.

12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Sure, the Separatists are pawns of evil, but they aren't evil themselves. That's pretty evident in the Mustafar slaughter.

Lord Sidious promised us peace
    /LM

13. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    If Rick McCallum wrote the opening crawls, there'd be far more references to things being "so bold" and "****ing awesome!"

Duuude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.