main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Riddle Rebels

Discussion in 'Archive: Daytona Beach, FL' started by Q99213, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    'Remember, all you need are three folks to get the ball rolling.'

Ok, being the kind of guy that hates to see things die down and will do whatever it takes to get something good going, I have decided to try and push a Star Wars club at ERAU, and I really like the name Riddle Rebels that Karma came up with. So today I went to Student Activities and found some of criteria for a new club, mainly we have to draft up a proposal and get a petition with at least 50 people that would be interested in a Star Wars club. I figure if we get a club going on campus, getting an official FF Chapter shouldn't be a problem, and we could use Riddle to get the word out. Is anyone else here interested? If so, then I think we should start getting the word out ASAP and maybe set some dates for events, like movies or games or something. I thought it would be cool to post flyers around saying something like 'Join the Rebellion: coming Fall 2004' or something to that effect. :)

And speaking of getting things done, I have a punching bag in my living room that's been looking at my funny lately *Goes to show Wavemaster some Jedi-Fu!*

2. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I volunteer to be the staff/faculty advisor, so that problem is solved.
    I am sure 50 signatures would not be a problem if the petition is given to the Gamers Guild, ERFSEDS, Anime club, Modelers network, Internet Gamers, Robotics Association, Astronomy Club, mars Society, NSS, etc....any science or sci-fi related clubs.
  3. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    That's what I was thinking. Woo-hoo! Two people on the right track so far! Everyone I talked to would want to have the meetings on either a Monday or Wednesday, both of which are fine for me. I know the Gamer's Guild meets at 7pm, so before that would probably be ideal for everyone. I volunteer to be any position that needs filled and to create the club logo :D

4. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hey all, forgive me for being hasty and perhaps a little too optimistic, but I have once again comandeered the ERFSEDS site to help spread my own little propaganda campaign ;) Check out the scrolling text at the top of the page. As time progresses I may have to start adding little 'easter Eggs' on various pages. 'It's good to be the webmaster' -Q Brooks :D

5. Jayna

Jayna Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Wow! Way to go Q99! I love it!

I'll spread the word to the people that I know would be interested.

When can we start getting signatures? Do we have to write up the petition ourselves or does SA have something for us?

YAY! *Does a Force-assisted cartwheel*

6. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    It sounded like we can do the petition ourselves, and I was thinking as soon as possible. I won't meet with Wendy again until the first week of Summer A, so that gives us lots of time to get things in motion. She gave me a look that kinda made me think this club doesn't have a chance to get started when I told her about it, so I am thinking that if we can get things moving this semester, when it comes time to get approved, the board won't have any choice but to approve it. "And if they don't agree then I will lock them in a room and force them too" ;)

7. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I think there's an official petition form or something like that in Student Activites....

I can already think of club activities- SW Marathon Weekend, gaming days, costume meetings, yay!

8. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I'll check into the peition today. Costume meetings would be great! And I'm all about gaming :D

9. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Well unfortunatly Wendy wasn't in her office today, so I will check back Monday.

Hey Karma, do you have really, really, really, I mean C-3PO colored blond hair? I saw a girl that I thought may have been you driving a golf cart with a little brown box in the back, but I was too far away to yell anything :(

10. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Ya, that was me!

11. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Well darn! :p We'll get this right eventually. Now, if only to find the elusive Jayna...

12. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    OK, my boredom has been transfered into ambition yet again. This weekend after KSC I was too hyper to sleep, so I thought I would dabble in photoshop a little and create a club logo. Jeez, only three people know about the idea and I'm already working on a logo. Somebody slap me! :p Anyway, you can check it out here. Riddle Rebels And keep in mind that this was done at about 0200 on nothing but pure adrenaline, so it's not even close to being perfect. :) Let me know what you think and what you want changed and such things.

13. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Hey I tried to see the logo but it wouldn't download from your site...it kind of just sat there saying, "Transferring from site...."...

14. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hmmmmm *cracks IT knuckles* lemme see what I can do :)

Edit: Ok Karma, I had the pic in the wrong folder :p

15. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    That's pretty good for working on adrenaline!

Maybe we can incorporate the eagle someplace, as it is an ERAU club...?

16. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I thought about that, but I haven't thought of a way to do it yet with the pictures of eagles that I have. I have the colors in the lightsabers, and I was thinking of maybe a big eagle behind the rebel emblem. Lemme do a little more image searching and see what I can find :)

17. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    Very fun!
    I can't wait to get together with you guys!
    Great Job! :)

18. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Ok, I finally got a hold of Wendy and got the 'New Club' packet. It doesn't appear that there is an official petition form, so I think as long as we all use the same one, it should be ok. The only thing is making sure that someone doesn't sign it twice. So, what are we calling ourselved officially? I like Riddle Rebels if everyone is cool with that. The only other issue I see is getting 4 people for the executive board (or Jedi Council if you will ;) ). I don't know who will be staying for the summer, but there is a traning session for all of the board members. I'll be here, but that means we need three other people, not including the advisor. Something to think about. I'm willing to take any position not filled, or just sit back and watch as things unfold. Then there is the proposal which isn't due until Summer A, and all that is, is what our club is, why Riddle would benefit, and what we plan to do, so that shouldn't be too hard if we tie it into the Fan Force thing. Then once the club gets approved, the Jedi of the Council (I am such a GEEK) will have to sit down and draft a constitution. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM, IM, or e-mail me. :)

19. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    We're moving right along then! Great! :)

These are all issues that have been on my mind and I think it would be best for us to sit down and talk about it. I think tomorrow would be the perfect opportunity for such discussions. I suggest that any ideas regarding these things should be brought to our meeting tomorrow. Sound cool?

20. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Sounds cool to me.

21. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm sure that once you start getting the petition around, you will find more potential members than are present on this board.
    Maybe a free ad in the Avion to drum up awareness? Or flyers around campus (I can make copies for free here at work)?
    If you'll have me as your advisor, I will be involved as little or as much as the club members want. I know some advisors who don't even know if their club still exsists, and some who are at every meeting.
  22. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I was walking back to work (nobody missed me) from our meeting today and while looking at the ERAU logo on the back of a service van a logo idea struck me. Y'know the rebel symbol, right? Maybe we could make the club logo a cross between an eagle and the symbol. Imaging the symbol, if you will, with the outer parts as 2 wings and the middle part as an eagle head. I'll try to draw what I'm thinking if you promise not to laugh.
  23. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    That's actually kinda like what I was thinking Karma, but I was going to have the eagle behind the Rebel symbol, with it's wings kind of wrapped around. Either works for me.

As far as the name goes I love Jaina's idea of making it like a Jedi Academy theme, so what about the Jedi Rebels? Stop thinking of the rebellion on a galactic scale and think if it as someone on a campus scale, like the Jedi Rebels-an elite group of Jedi chosen to represent all Jedi at the extended Jedi Academy, Daytona Beach Campus or something. *waits for laughter to die down*

I would have to say that this was a very successful meeting. Just being able to talk SW with people again had me skipping all over my apartment, saber in hand ;) I say we definetly try and do something soon before the momentum dies down. *hint*Farscape Night!!!*hint*

24. Jayna

Apr 19, 2002
    I think the eagle idea is great- although I know that the Rebel Legion's Ra Kura base (in Florida somewhere) has a very similar logo. We would just have to make it a point to make it different.

25. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Speaking of Ra Kura, they are a great group a people. I'm a member and so's the hubby. If you have a rebel-related costume (Jedi included), do join!
    This is their symbol:
    [image=http://members.aol.com/inxsary/rakura.gif]
    They do have an "in the works" symbol with a screaming eagle going across the rebel symbol.
    If I havea few extra minutes today I'll sketch out what I have in mind and try to post it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.