main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Riding the lightning - the JC heavy metal thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 13, 2016.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup, that song and two others from the new Mastodon album are available now (on iTunes, etc.), ahead of the full release. They all sound good.

2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The only one I've liked so far is Sultan's Curse, to be honest. Andromeda doesn't impress me all that much and Show Yourself was pretty crap.

3. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    SOAD > everything else

4. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Late to the game, but I've tried to put together my list.

Helmet - Meantime
    Mastodon - Leviathan
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Metallica - ...And Justice for All
    Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun
    The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
    Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
    Faith No More - Angel Dust
    Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction

5. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

So, I began listening to this this morning and I think I may be enjoying it more than Refuge Denied. It feels punchier and more visceral production-wise. Sure, it is a compilation but it sounds fantastic.

Nanaki

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Oops... in my best of post, I neglected to mention that I am listening to Memoriam who are 2 parts Bolt Thrower anyway; but outside of them, no new bands.

7. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
  8. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004

I kinda miss good techdeath.

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    As I digest a world without my beloved Bolt Thrower and the excellent Hail of Bullets, in stage dives Memoriam with their debut For the Fallen. Boasting two of my three fave peeps from Bolt Thrower (vocalist Karl and original drummer Whale), Sacrilege/Benediction bassist Frank and Benediction guitarist Scott, whose riffs do invoke Bolt Thrower, but also early 80s U.K. Hardcore punk (which given the band's histories makes perfect sense.)

I sit corrected in my worry about Memoriam and Karl Willetts' new vocal style. Yes, what I detected was true, BUT his style of singing in this band is very evocative of early 80s U.K. extreme music (particularly the singing-talking of Cal from Discharge (whom I still dig.) This kind of explains why Karl has constantly posted Killing Joke, Discharge and others in his Twitter feed over the past year. This fact bludgeoned me while spinning the very Discharge-like "Corrupted System" (Probably my favorite track. Oh to hear Whale playing D Beats - woot!)

Anyway...YAY! there are Whale's drums! (I have missed his awesome fills mightily.)

The guitar tone is great, though Frank's bass seems to be lost in the mix. I am still not keen on "Reduced to Zero" but that'll probably change. And yes, I still prefer fast/mid tempo tracks. The whole death doom thing, I get it, but speed demon me still wants my fast songs.

Marching Onwards...

10. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

It's this album's 20th anniversary. Still holds up.

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    The rest of the songs (the full album release) came out today. I've only listened a little bit, but it sounds good so far.

12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    What do you guys think of the new black metal movie currently in production?

It's based on the book Lords of Chaos, which at the time of it's release was slammed by those who where there for being largely sensationalized and inflammatory towards the genre.

Personally, as a long time black metal fan who was introduced to it probably a lot younger than I should have been, and like many others have said, including those in the genre were there and lived it, I think it's a travesty. The fact that it's being produced by Vice is an obvious indication that it's basically a movie made for hipsters by hipsters to make themselves seem "in the know" on a topic that makes them seem edgy for knowing about. Anybody who knows about the Norwegian Black Metal scene can see through this. I remember being at the Los Angeles showing of Until the Light Takes Us, and the whole place was just full of hipsters who hadn't listened to this stuff more than a few years. I'm honestly not trying to seem like some OG trve cvlt black metal fan. I'm a middle class kid from the US. But still, I was introduced to this music early on, and have followed it ever since. So to see it now being interpreted the way it is, there's really no choice but to remain apathetic to it.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    My thought is that the paragraph you devoted is way more energy than the film probably deserves. :p

Although for the record I'm squarely in the camp that thinks "hipster" was a played out epithet in, like, 2013.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Try living in Los Angeles. When it's your only defense against something you've been a fan of for so long, only for some hipster to start telling you what to think about it. It happens more often than you would believe if I told you.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I live in ****ing Boulder. :p

16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    At least it's not Austin, or Portland, which if you're not a rank and file hipster, doing all that they do, you simply don't belong.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Austin is actually just bourgeois techbro types now.

18. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    All I think about the Lords of Chaos movie is that having a Jewish guy play Varg is hilariously twisted.

19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    =D= Ah, thanks for the pro tip about what cities I should avoid; despite probably being weirder than most who want to keep Portland weird. NYC still feels more punk to me (I guess that's my inner youngling still freaking out about CBGB's toilets decades later, in spite of the redonkulous gentrification that has been going on for at least fifteen years now.)

and not ironically my favorite Memoriam track from their debut is Corrupted System which sounds more punk than anything else.

21. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awesome stuff.

22. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

The fact that this band isn't more well-known is an absolute travesty.

23. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    So, I approve of this nostalgia-ride and resurrection / new wave of Manowar-ish trve-as-steel heavy metal. :p

24. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    What's your favorite Manowar album?

25. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Torn between Kings of Metal and Warriors of the World. I guess Warriors was one of my first metal albums, hence the attachment. Also, it had Nessun Dorma - and how many metal bands do Puccini?!