main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Riding the lightning - the JC heavy metal thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I'm torn between Into Glory Ride and Hail to England.

Also, I've been listening to this lately.

[​IMG]

This is one of the best albums of the 1980s. Not just in metal. Of all genres. This album is a landmark in both progressive and power metal.

2. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

So, I just figured out about this. I'll give the next album a whirl just to see if I feel any differently about it than I did her debut LP. I'm not too optimistic though. I don't really like the production here either.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I've been listening to a lot of 90s death/metal recently - Suffocation, In:Extremis, Morbid Angel's offerings (Eyes to see), Napalm Death, Entombed, Carcass and I ended up back at Demanufacture. That album is just an absolute masterpiece from start to finish.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Is power metal allowed in this thread?

Got tickets to Helloween for my birthday. The Pumpkin United tour - Michael Kiske and Kai Hansen are back. I'm ridiculously excited!

LostOnHoth likes this.
  5. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Of course! After all, it is...

[​IMG]

TCF-1138 and LostOnHoth like this.
  6. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I've been listening to Helloween Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt 1 all week. No Australia on their world tour.:_|

7. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Man it's almost like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke.

Talos of Atmora and tom like this.
  9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    don't underestimate what ll cool j did for the sales of radios, thus opening up vast segments of the population to the very possibility of rock and roll.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I did hear him talking to Aisha Tyler on her podcast Girl On Guy, and um... he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But I don't think it warrants emotion from me on the hall of fame question.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think it's just one of those generational things - everyone has to independently discover the HoF isn't worth caring about, and then wonders why anyone still does. Like sands through the hourglass or something.

SuperWatto likes this.
  12. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Evidently, the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame doesn't understand that it's supposed to be the Rock n Roll and ONLY Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

The fact that Van Halen, of all bands, had to wait 4 years to get in when they should've been in the second they became eligible tells you all you need to know about their credibility.

And Judas Priest's first year of eligibility was 1999, a year the Hall CLEARLY dropped the ball on, because it was also the first year of eligibility for Bad Company (are they even in?), KISS (Class of 2014), and Rush (Class of 2013).

And while I'm still ranting, get Ozzy in as a solo artist! You already have all 4 Beatles inducted twice, you have at least 3 Yardbirds in twice, and you have Eric Clapton as the only 3 time inductee, so there's no excuse for not having Ozzy inducted twice!

Where's Eddie Trunk when you need him?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Appears Nanaki hasn't discovered it yet Ramza.

Ramza likes this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Thought I'd start posting here again with this thing I do with people on another forum where we post our top tens for specific years. I've actually found really cool stuff doing this and I hope to do that for anyone here too.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I have to put Mastodon's Emperor of Sand and glassJAw's Material Control at equal #1, with Rosetta's Utopiod at #3. Beyond that I wasn't getting a lot of new music this year so I can't really committ to a top 10 :D

16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I meant that we could also do past years as well.

Emperor of Sand was definitely better than the last couple albums.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I sorta listened to the Hunter but it was really Crack the Skye where I stepped off and spent more time exploring Baroness instead. But, Emperor is amazing.

18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Listening to more Black Breath lately which naturally promoted a stage dive back into Dismember's early material. Much prefer Dismember to Entombed (even though it was pretty great to see Entombed in 1991.)

19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I'd probably say the same. Entombed doesn't hold much appeal past Clandestine.

20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    For me, Dismember held onto their heavy yet catchy edge a bit longer, and I do not think Entombed ever recovered from Nicke leaving.

21. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
  22. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Top Ten Metal Albums of 2017:

1. Bestial Invasion - Contra Omnes
    2. Droid - Terrestrial Mutations
    3. Akercocke - Renaissance in Extremis
    4. Crimson Dawn - Chronicles of an Undead Hunter
    5. Lunar Shadow - Far from Light
    6. Malokarpatan - Nordkarpatenland
    7. Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
    8. Venenum - Trance of Death
    9. Pagan Altar - The Room of Shadows
    10. Schizoid - Evil Incarnate

23. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
  24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Memoriam U.K.'s debut for the fallen and the Sacrilege cover they did (The Captive.)

Ufomammut's 8 had its moments, but I much prefer their output from 2012 backwards - I like more heavy, less ambient from them.

I do not listen to much modern metal, circle the bands/musicians I've loved for decades (or bands that pay serious homage to the ones I still enjoy.) Waiting for new Triptykon (whom I finally came around to), Black Breath and Asphyx.

25. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Wait, they did a Sacrilege cover? Interesting.