main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Riding the lightning - the JC heavy metal thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    2005:
    1. Hieronymus Bosch - Artificial Emotions
    2. Stargazer - The Scream That Tore the Sky
    3. Galneryus - Advance to the Fall
    4. !T.O.O.H.! - Order and Punishment
    5. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    6. Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
    7. Kamelot - The Black Halo
    8. Adramelch - Broken History
    9. Bruce Dickinson - Tyranny of Souls
    10. Dream Theater - Octavarium

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    So, what does everyone here think about Ghost? Not the JCer, the band. I already know what some of you think about the JCer (@Ender Sai).

I only recently started listening to them and I must say I dig them quite a bit. Does this make me a bad person? Have I lost whatever metal credibility I had left? Are they even a metal band to begin with? Because at times it seems like they're barely a hard rock band.

TELL ME HOW I SHOULD FEEL

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Ghost usually gets a pass, I've found; the lyrical cred carries them with metal fans when the music really doesn't.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  5. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Has anyone heard of Sabaton before? I've picked up some songs

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I always knew you were a secret metalhead at heart, Arlol.

7. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Uh no. There are some songs I find interesting. But that can be with any genre. Sabaton is historical related that's why I'm liking listening to it. But RWBY has some great songs that are like that.

My former manager at my other store was a HUGE metalhead. Would keep talking bout stuff I never heard nor knew about. Still don't neither do I want to really.

8. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

Late Death/Control Denied has to have some of the most unimaginative songwriting I've ever heard. I mean, barring some actual good moments and riffs on tracks like Consumed and Expect the Unexpected, the rest of this a haphazardly strung-together amalgam of plodding riffs that have no dynamics with Steve DiGiorgio literally flailing to add some excitement to the wealth of boring moments on this. Not to mention that the lead playing is evenly divided between some actually impressive interplay and sappy melodic lines that are nowhere near interesting enough to drag out for a minute. The worst part is that Aymar gives a great vocal performance that evokes the best of '90s Warrel Dane but it's ultimately wasted on a lot of the one-note composition which basically just sound like a bunch of outtakes that Jim Matheos discarded a decade prior.

Seriously, the fact that Chuck's borderline cult of personality by the late '90s/early '00s compelled people to say that this is a masterclass in progressive power metal when The Fragile Art of Existence, in many ways, just comes off as primitive and ill-considered by the time it came out in '99 when compared to its peers is ridiculous. Arguing that this is somehow on par with the best of bands like Fates Warning when the entirety of the album is comprised of both watered down prog/power and tech thrash riffing in equal measure is laughable, to say the least.

Just a maddening listen that promises substance but ultimately fails to deliver.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Master_Lok likes this.
  9. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  10. Nergion

Nergion Jedi Padawan

Jun 8, 2019
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Impatiently waiting for next Memoriam album as Karl and co. may fixed the issues plaguing them (Namely his disappointing vocals and song structure).

And already pining for something new from Martin Van Drunen.

Possessed’s Revelations of Oblivion had some good songs, but it is not as memorable as I’d hoped. I’ll stick with Seven Churches. Fingers crossed Dark Angel’s album delivers the goods.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  12. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    IT'S REAL. IT EXISTS.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  13. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

Strange to think that Sabina Classen was so ahead of her time vocally. In 1982, no less, predating the likes of Quorthon.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Master_Lok likes this.
  14. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Anyone watched or heard of Goniloc on YouTube? I found out about him this past week. He does these "Bastardized Histories" of various metal subgenres and they're very entertaining.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    There's a very fine line between seeing the humor in all of it and being a snob about it. I get what this guy is trying to do, but it's not quite the angle I would go for.

Master_Lok likes this.
  16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    His videos are awesome. One of the few metal channels on YT I actually enjoy somewhat.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  17. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

Russel Allen rules.

18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Not a YT video watcher unless it’s a few tech reviewers or how to art tips. As far as lyric videos, I am so over the pseudo concept lyric videos. I think I’d enjoy more bands if they’d skip those completely (Looking at Incantation etc), Tom Fischer is the only one who gets it imo.

So, Heeey! it’s Tom G. Fischer’s birthday today. He’s one of handful of metal musicians I still enjoy. I like some Triptykon, but Frost and Hellhammer remain my jams.

Tom’s Hellhammer tribute band, Triumph of Death, performing one of my favorite Frost songs

And ToD performing Hellhammer’s Massacra

Talos of Atmora and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  19. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Something I completely expected while staying up late to check on the election results:

ACTUAL NEW MUSIC FROM SOAD WTF AHHHHH

EHT and Master_Lok like this.
  20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    This song is insane!

Master_Lok likes this.
  21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    So -for 2021 after years of metal drought- I’ve been blessed with two great albums so far: Asphyx’ Nercoceros and Nervosa’s Perpetual Chaos.

Incoming Memoriam album number four at the end of March. And Crypta’s debut comes probably late Spring (They delivered their debut to the record label last week.)

I ‘attended’ my first gig in eons last month: Asphyx’ virtual gig was freaking brilliant (They played as if the club was a packed house). Could get used to virtual gigs and I would be glad to pay again too.

22. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I've been getting into Gojira recently. Some of their riffing is just beyond ****ing awesome.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  23. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    They released a new song today!

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    [​IMG]

LostOnHoth likes this.
  25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Is this band cheesy? Yes. Is it Iron Maiden? No..but almost? Are they amazing? Yep.