main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Riding the lightning - the JC heavy metal thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

This album is an absolute masterpiece.

Master_Lok likes this.
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yeah that was a good album. I think I saw them on that tour too.

Talos of Atmora likes this.
  3. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  4. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I picked up The Key and Realm of Chaos on the same day I planned this massive gaming session with some friends of mine. I literally couldn't have found more fitting music for Sins of a Solar Empire and Dawn of War. That was seven years ago.

5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

By Realm of Chaos, I suppose you mean Bolt Thrower's best album? :D

6. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I think The IVth Crusade is the best with Realm of Chaos being an incredibly close second.

7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    They'd probably agree with you, though I finally heard Karl's thoughts on recording Realm of Chaos (a lot of fun). Jo loved the album but wasn't a fan of playing so downtuned, gosh I love their sound on that album though. Like tanks...

8. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    You know an album is heavy when art designers from White Dwarf step in and go, "Yup. 40K, it is" when it comes time to design a cover.

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Actually, Karl, Whale and possibly Gavin were big Games Workshop players back then so it was a mutual decision backed by Earache. Expensive though.

10. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Oh, I know. Still worth it though. :D

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Darn straight. I spent months looking for 40k Chaos gods shirts that were remotely like the ones they were wearing back then. Sadly, none of those were available here.

12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Trve kvlt guy here. Yea, Burzum Darkthrone Sunn with the O))) and parentheseeeez))). Yea. Name dropping. Been there. I get it.

Anyvays, its your attitude and countless others who make me love BabyMetal more and more. I don't think I ever didn't like them, it was more a wtf reaction, but looking at all the butt hurt pretentious metal guys act like they are some threat to all things pvre made me want to fully hop on the bandwagon that is BabyMetal. They, or who whoever is behind them, are just trolling the very pretentious attitude of those who hate them. And I applaud it. Metal has gotten so far up its own @$$ in its pretentiousness that it makes me appreciate commercial acts more than ever. Don't get me wrong, I listen to my Neurosis, seeing them tomorrow night actually. I just got back from a Wolves in the Throne Room show. I love my black metal. I get the deeper philosophical artistic element of it all. I can name drop all day long. You mention Myrkur, seen her, met her, great music, cool chick. and I agree that douchebags who latch onto that bandwagon are just as bad. But at the end of the day, I'd rather hang out with a bunch of BabyMetal fans than a bunch of pseudo intellectual Myrkur fans. Believe me, I know people in both crowds. I grew up on Nu Metal, and will always hold that near and dear. And whenever douche hipster pseudo intellectuals act like they are somehow superior to all that, it just makes me appreciate it even more that I don't have that outlook. If you don't like it, fine. But don't sit there and act like you're somehow superior to someone who does. I'm not talking directly to you, just in general, I live in L.A., and encounter this attitude all the time from people. Doesn't mean you can't appreciate the deeper stuff just because you also like the commercial stuff.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't know if it's coherent to complain about hipster attitudes while simultaneously saying complaints about something make you like it more. That's like hipster ethos 101.

Edit: And that's before you get into the whole "hipster has been used as such a broad insult it barely means anything these days" thing. Like what you like, but if the disapproval of others causes a contrarian increase in affection you're not really assuming the high ground.

Talos of Atmora and Ender Sai like this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Eh, I might have had a bit to drink last night, and when I got home saw that thread and went on a rant about it. :oops:

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Babymetal exists though purely as a marketing tool. It's not outsider music, which is what metal is - it's pop, designed to be a novelty or curiosity that sells. They won't be around in 5 years time.

Look, my favourite band of all time are deftones, and I went and saw deafheaven earlier this year. I was fully into nu-metal at the time (I even literally owned Limp Bizkit's 3 Dollar Bill and KoRn's S/T before they blew up. Same as SOAD). I get what you're saying. I'm not about trve kvlt or any of that. I just think when you're just selling a hollow product, like Babymetal or the St Anger album, you can identify such a gesture is firmly cynical and reject it.

Which is what I am doing.

Master_Lok and LostOnHoth like this.
  16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I got you. I'm sure we're more or less on the same page when it comes to metal.

I admit that rant was completely unnecessary, definitely some late night liquid fuel there......my bad.

Seeing Neurosis tonight, which is always a must go.

LostOnHoth likes this.
  17. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Thanks to this thread I now have Deftones and Isis pretty much exclusively on in the car during my commute to work (unfortunately all other attempts to play this glorious stuff outside of the confines of my vehicle have have been met with firm resistence from my wife). So, thank you Ender Sigh for making my trip into work much more bearable.

In terms of the elitism within the metal genre, it has always been there and always will be there. Growing up, it was like treading a careful path of respectability with the music you liked within the metal community. Of course now that I've grown up I simply don't care anymore, so I just like what I like and will listen to whatever I want and revel in that regardless of the social stigma.

edit: so I listened to Babymetal for the first time. It doesn't work for me but the riffing and backing band are ****ing awesome.

ShaneP, Talos of Atmora and Ender Sai like this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  19. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I've heard them before - I like them, but in reasonably small doses. She's amazing when you consider the aggresive factor of other femal vocalists in the genre, but I'm not a huge fan of the growl vocal thing. I like it in the way it is used in say "In the Absence of Truth" but I can't listen to an entire album of it. I've never been much of a fan of black metal or death metal for that reason either. The only other thing that annoys me about the film clip is the drummer. He's annoying for some reason, it might be the way he taps the drums like they're going to break or something. I mean, technically he's great but HIT those muthe****ers, it's metal!.

ShaneP likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah ok. Absense is a great album, but Panopticon is truly something else. Conceptually, musically... it's one of my top 5 albums of all time.

21. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I haven't got to that one yet.

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh you're in for a treat.

Though my favourite ISIS song is still "Garden of Light" on Absence.

And it's what I love about ISIS. ITAOT is about a few concepts - Don Quixote, and the cult of the hashshashins (assassins), under Hassan i-Sabbah. Sabbah is quoted in the CD booklet - "Nothing is true; everything is permitted."

Sabbah's cult, the hashshashins, would recruit members and drug them before taking them to the gardens at Firdous E-Bareen (the penultimate track on ITAOT is called this). When they awoke they'd be told they were in Heaven, and that Sabbah was a messenger from God.

Hence:

I fell asleep in
    a world dressed in grey
    only to awake in a garden divine

There was song and dance and untarnished flesh

It was you who brought me here
    yours whose face greeted me
    in the garden of light

you are the face of god
    you are my breath
    my life, my death

23. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Yeah that is an awesome track. I'm really digging the non-traditional song structure of these guys..the tunes just get you in a kind of trance state. It's atmospheric and dreamy but with parts that make you just make a fist and scream at the sky.

edit: I'm also a bit hooked on Karnivool's Asymmetry album.

24. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Ender Sai So, I'm currently listening to Dystopia for the first time and I'm genuinely surprised. I did not expect it to be this good.

EDIT: By the way, LOL at the first line of Bullet to the Brain. "No one knows what draws the moth to the flame".

James...seriously. o_O

Ender Sai and LostOnHoth like this.
  25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Same here. But musically and thematically, I love much of it.