main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Riding the lightning - the JC heavy metal thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Oh, man. I'm gonna miss them. First song I ever listened to by them was Electric Funeral at a record store as a child. It was the darkest, gloomiest, sludgiest piece of work I'd ever heard at that point.

2. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    The Dillinger Escape Plan has been involved in a serious bus accident. The good news? No fatalities. The bad news? The remainder of their European tour has been cancelled because not only were there injuries from the crash, but the band's gear was destroyed as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah crap, I like DEP.

So, Megadeth finally won a grammy for Dystopia, which is long overdue. And the houseband played Master of Puppets. That's 10 more years of Mustaine fury...

Talos of Atmora and SuperWatto like this.
  4. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I loved Dave's twitter response though.

5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Hangar 18 is one of my all-time favorite metal tracks. I don't know the album Dystopia, I've zoned out from metal decades ago.
    Same with grammy awards, so that's fitting.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Wow, hope the DEP guys are all OK. Kind of weird timing, since they've recently released their final album and this tour is probably therefore kind of a farewell tour.

7. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    I knew the Grammy house band was trolling Dave. He's already gotten over his ejection from Metallica anyway, so I'm sure even he found the trolljob humorous.

The way Metallica got treated that night, however, was far worse. I've already ranted on other threads over this, but that was a slap in the face to us as a community. It's up there with omitting Jeff Hanneman (a 2 time Grammy winner as a member of Slayer, by the way) from the "in memory of" section. The Metal category already has a well-documented history of being awarded to songs that are at least 20 years old, whether they're from live albums (the most common case of this) or covers. At least two of Metallica's Grammys are for cover songs, and one of their original songs was awarded a Grammy for a cover done by Motorhead, a band that was one of Metallica's primary influences to begin with. I've already accepted the fact that metal (and heavy rock in general, for that matter) has not been very well respected by the Grammys to begin with, and I've already given up on taking the Grammys seriously, especially when you consider the fact that Hendrix, KISS, Deep Purple, and Queen have a combined total of zero Grammys. Learning about Jethro Tull winning the Best Metal Performance Grammy back in 89 was what drove me to boycott the Grammys anyway (I have nothing against Jethro Tull, but they're not metal, not even by the standards of when Aqualung was released).

Back to the Dillinger Escape Plan situation...it just came to my attention that they were already on a farewell tour when this crash happened, but this is not how I want to see them go out; injured AND with their gear totalled in an accident like this. I'm happy to hear that they got through this with their lives intact though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    This will make it all better:

9. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I've never thought that metal and the grammys ever went together. It's one of the things I have come to dislike about Metallica, this craving for mainstream acceptance and rockstardom. We the metal community know who the legends are and we certainly don't need something as purile as the grammy awards to validate our music. I wish we would stop pandering to it and just refuse to have anything to do with it in future.

The grammy's 'house band' played puppets as about as good as my old high school band played it. Were these peeps supposed to be professional musicians? I actually think Dave was literally correct -they probably listened to a few tracks off Dystopia and just scratched their heads,

SuperWatto likes this.
  10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Master_Lok and LostOnHoth like this.
  11. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Yep. I watched that and it was rather fascinating, seeing Metallica live on TV. It was a novelty back then. The only time metal and TV went together was to play a DVD or watching rage on ABC or when we saw Black Sabbath and Zep reunite for Live Aid. But yeah, that was the moment when I realised that i'mainstream' awards and metal just don't mix because the main streamers just don't understand it. I mean Jethro Tull? Seriously?

12. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    "The flute is a heavy, metal instrument."

I'd bet money that Ian came up with that.

LostOnHoth likes this.
  13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I remember it too, and it made me realise that awards in itself are a useless, unnecessarily divisive concept (except the Wattos of course). It always says more about the people giving the awards than about the people receiving it.
    I liked when Steely Dan won a grammy - they put it up for auction on their website the next day.

14. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Yeah, you see Lars will put his on a wall and then ring other people who have won grammys and do lunch with them and talk about collaboration before moving on to his next marketing meeting to discuss the the details of the next line of Metallica action figures, the next Metallica movie, comic book and line of mens clothing and pimple cream.

SuperWatto and Talos of Atmora like this.
  15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Metallica II: The Case of the Malfunctioning Microphone

LostOnHoth likes this.
  17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
  18. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I've got to post the pictures I took of a Brioni store in Milan featuring Metallica in the store windows.

Ender Sai likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    [​IMG]

20. Bagliun Edar

Bagliun Edar Jedi Knight star 1

May 3, 2014
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Erm. This is the metal thread.

I'm not sure why awful Christian hair music was posted.

22. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Jesus. ****ing. Christ.

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  24. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    Metallica and Brioni - photo taken in Milan last year

[​IMG]

Another one

[​IMG]

25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Ender Sai LOL at the Cathedral post (I adored that album at the time).

As far as the Grammys, the voters are tone deaf as far as Metal is concerned. I couldn't care less (Ah, I see teenaged F'Off me still exists).

Another Memoriam song dropped...(which I happen to love, a bit more of a crusty Bolt Thrower sound).