main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ridley Scott to develop and direct new Blade Runner film

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by denryanj, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denryanj

denryanj Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2003
    http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/ridley-scott-ready-to-direct-new-version-of-seminal-sci-fi-film-blade-runner/

2. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    So long as it isn't based on that stupid BladeRunner2 book. That was just flipping awful to read.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    More on the Blade Runner follow-up

Yesterday's announcement of Ridley Scott returning to the world of "Blade Runner" which he created pretty much floored everyone with its unexpectedness. Now 24 Frames has done a feature piece explaining how Scott was brought back into the fold. In the process, they've revealed some new story details and a potential production schedule.

Alcon Entertainment landed the rights to the property earlier this year and were desperately keen on landing Scott for the film. Producers Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson had a sit down meeting with Scott in London earlier this year where "they hashed out how a new film would look, how it could avoid seeming too similar to the many movies that have since paid homage to the original, and how different the new film should be from the original itself. They eventually decided it should stand as separately as possible."

Scott struck a handshake deal with the pair, Kosove saying "I believe he sees an opportunity to create something that?s wholly original from the first 'Blade Runner.'" A few months later, after all the legals and contracts have been sorted out, here we are. Scott is now expected to meet with writers which he and the producers will have to agree on, a hiring that could happen as early as in the next few weeks.

It's expected the earliest that shooting could start is the beginning of 2013 which would mean a 2014 cinematic release at the earliest. Scott, who recently finished editing "Prometheus," could direct one of several other films in development before jumping back into the "Blade Runner" world.

Asked about the skepticism over the announcement, Kosove says "Everything Ridley does as a filmmaker is fresh? with Ridley coming back there's a greater level of comfort. And once we have the writer, I think fans will feel even more comfortable. We want people to know that we're very serious about doing this in an artistic way. This isn't just commercial fodder."

Kosove also says don't expect Harrison Ford or his Rick Deckard character to show up - "If you're asking me will this movie have anything to do with Harrison Ford, the answer is no. This is a total reinvention, and in my mind that means doing everything fresh, including casting."

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    So no Deckard then? I would think that Harrison Ford's participation would be a must for Blade Runner fans.

5. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    So, kinda a TotalRecall2070 thing?

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    They been playing the OG on SYFY lately. I think it is funny how the movie is placed in 2019. Reminds me of Back to the Future II taking place in 2015. Im an 80's kid myself and I can so remember everyone saying we d have those damned flying cars and hoverboards by 2000 lmao!!!! What happend????

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, 2019 is not too far off. No replicants on the way but I bet the Rhoomba robots will be REALLY advanced. I was around when Bladerunner came out, and I recall 2019 being in a far away place.

As I posted in the other 2 threads on these forums I wish to see another city, make the Bladerunner universe bigger. And eastern seaboard super city would be nice.

8. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    First the Alien Prequel, now this?

Ridley feeling nostalgic, or just lazy?

Oh, I bet I know what it is...it's that he hasn't had a real solid hit at the box office since Gladiator.

Time to go to the bank of past successes and cult followers.

Probably saw "Tron Legacy" and thought "I can resurrect one of my 5 dollar bin classics and make people pay $20 a piece to see it with more CGI and 3D..."

9. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    They might not be sequels or prequels as we think of them, like SW, but just set in that same universe.

Sounds great to me.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Hey, at least now you can get the shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.