main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph On Earth, Everyone Can Hear You Scream: The Prometheus / Alien Discussion Thread (Romulus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I didn't love it, but I have watched it more than once on cable, and it's good enough that I look forward to the sequel.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It really just seems as though Scott spent all his effort making the film look pretty and assembling a great cast that he forgot to make sure the script was worth the wood pulp it was printed on. It's as though he said, "Ehhh, space Jesus or something" and Lindelof turned it out while he was taking a **** and used the draft as toilet paper.

yankee8255 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Agree with the fella above me.

4. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    No, no. He's Darren Aronofsky's Noah.
    [​IMG]

God help those poor tigers...

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, this is the first time I've heard of Exodus- or at least it's cast. I loves me my Ridley epics, even when they don't entirely succeed.

As for Prometheus, I liked it when it first came out and it's grown on me since then, but a lot of that is going to ultimately depend on this sequel answering the questions the first film raised.

As a stand-alone, it's flaws can sometime outshine it's highlights (though those highlights are often superb), but as the first chapter of a larger story it's shortcomings could seemingly be minimized by a proper context, explanation and overall payoff.

Plus, if we can just get more Fassbender as David it'll be worth the price of admission alone. ***damn, do I love that character.

GenAntilles likes this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Meh, I think pretty much all of Lindelof's writing is crap.

Atm I can't say I'm aware of any unanswered questions, or even any questions at all. It's probably because I just don't care.

I love it as it is.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I didn't say it wasn't his usual writing style. :p

8. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I feel the same way, though I really don't know how they're going to make a compelling sequel that begins with Noomi Rapace ringing the Engineers' doorbell and whining "Why do you hate us?!?!".

Hear, hear. Great character and a great actor. Fassbender and Idris Elba are probably my two favorite actors working today. Maybe they can find a way to bring Elba back, too. Hey, it's science fiction after all.

9. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    so i guess the last days on mars has the potential to become the prometheus that prometheus never was. i mean the alien that alien never was.

10. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    starring fastbinders.

11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I love Prometheus and can't wait for the sequel, since it's obvious that the first wasn't meant to be a standalone film. Even Ridley said he wanted to shoot two movies back to back.

12. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    i kind of want to shoot ridley in the back.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  13. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  14. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    multiple fastbinders might be interesting. like you know one fastbinder is sitting at the table in the mess hall eating cereal and another fastbinder comes in and says, "oh! hello there!" and the first fastbinder looks up and says, "doing well are we?" to which the second responds "quite!", and flashes a brilliant smile. then a third fastbinder walks in carrying a heavy load of power fasteners and, seeing the other two fastbinders goofing off snaps "listen fellows, there are a LOT of things we need to get done before we reach alpha sigma 9. we don't have the luxury of carousing about so GET TO WORK." fastbinder three storms out. the first two fastbinders are silent for a moment. then, fastbinder one says "what's up his evacuation tube?" "a small, furry animal with sharp claws, methinks." replies number two. they both chuckle. suddenly, a fourth fastbinder struts into the mess hall, totally nude. "HELLO BOYSSSSSS!" he booms, with a glint in his eye and a naughty smile on his face.

15. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Its impossible to top ALIEN so Ridley is going uphill, he set the bar high its a great movie and cast Yaphott Kotto, Harry Dean Stanton, Sig Weaver, Veronica Cartwright, Ian Holm and on and on c'mon its pretty east to rip PROMETHEUS. The writing was off but IM cool with the bog picture the tie-in with WEYLAND was great looking forward to this more than just about any movie in the works.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Nah, Prometheus is a bag of ****.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  17. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Nah, Prometheus is a barrel of fun.

spicer likes this.
  18. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    The visuals were outstanding though. If you exclude the plot when judging the film and just go by everything else it is pretty good.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Your tongue is sticking out your cheek like an alien popping out of John Hurt.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  20. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    The acting was good, the script was terrible, the visuals were great, the plot was convoluted. Everyone put in an A effort except the writers who delivered at best a D+

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Nah. It's garbage.

22. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    The two biggest "Huh?" moments in this film for me were 1) Nobody even mentioning the zombie attack after it happened and, more significant, 2)When the pilot character declares out of nowhere that he has everything figured out; that it's a bioweapon storage facility. I don't have any problem with that particular plot development. In fact, I think it's pretty clever that the planet doesn't turn out to be the Rosetta Stone of panspermia and instead is just one piece in a much larger narrative. But nobody is ever shown deducing or vetting this theory. He says it once, out of nowhere, and that's it. It's concrete fact.

One potentially interesting loose thread for a potential sequel: Will Rapace's character ever discover that it was in fact David who killed her husband?

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Relax, everybody. It's being written by the guy who co-wrote Green Lantern. We're in good hands.

24. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    If you take this statement:

The acting was good, the script was terrible, the visuals were great, the plot was convoluted. Everyone put in an A effort except the writers who delivered at best a D+

and combine it with this observation:

The two biggest "Huh?" moments in this film for me were 1) Nobody even mentioning the zombie attack after it happened and, more significant, 2)When the pilot character declares out of nowhere that he has everything figured out; that it's a bioweapon storage facility. I don't have any problem with that particular plot development. In fact, I think it's pretty clever that the planet doesn't turn out to be the Rosetta Stone of panspermia and instead is just one piece in a much larger narrative. But nobody is ever shown deducing or vetting this theory. He says it once, out of nowhere, and that's it. It's concrete fact.

I'd say you end up with the equation that was Prometheus.

It would be interesting to see how much of the final result was due to the process it was created under. Directed and Produced by Ridley Scott who called the shots. Written by Jon Spaihts, new to Hollywood and Damon Lindelof, television writer. Prometheus was going to be a sequel to Alien(s)....then it wasn't. Then it was. Then it wasn't. Then it ended up "touching the same universe, but not being directly related to it." I'd bet there is enough material to make a feature length film on how Prometheus was created.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, if you take everything terrible out of Prometheus, you end up with some decent material. Same with Gigli and Plan 9 from Outer Space.

dp4m likes this.