main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph On Earth, Everyone Can Hear You Scream: The Prometheus / Alien Discussion Thread (Romulus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    :oops:

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    He's also having a hand in writing Bladerunner 2.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's a deleted scene that explains that- he had previously flown a mission evacing a military research facility where an accident took place and something got released. The similarities to everything else they've seen on the planet correlate to that experience which is where he makes the connection.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Guy Pearce's old man makeup was ****ing hilarious.

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Agreed. Laughter is not the reaction they were shooting for.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Shut up, Mr. Koth! You were not brought upon this world to "get it".

7. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    it wasn't so much the old man makeup, it was the sucky old-man-performance that was the problem.

8. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I love Guy Pearce, but in retrospect they probably should've just cast an actual older actor for the role. Max Von Sydow perhaps. Pearce reminded me of when Tim Conway would play The Old Man on the Carol Burnett Show. It took me out of the movie at a time when I should've been fully engaged.

Yeah, I noticed that when I was looking him up. In fairness to him, according to Wikipedia he co-wrote Green Lantern with two other writers. So while there's not much about the final script that I would personally say is very good, we also can't lay all the blame for it at his feet.

For Blade Runner 2 all I really need are awesome visuals and Vangelis and I'll be fine.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    When they cast Guy Pearce, the film originally opened with Weyland being younger and had a more significant amount of screentime to that segment of the story before jumping ahead to the Prometheus- so it made sense then to cast Pearce to play the younger version and to age-makeup him for the back part of the film.

But they eventually dropped that whole sequence from the film before they started filming and just stuck with the actor they already hired. It's shame-0 I'd have liked to have seen more of the younger Weyland like what we got a taste of in the TED Talk viral video.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Why couldn't Lance Henrickson reprise his role for the older Weyland parts then?

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think largely to distance themselves from "Alien Vs Predator" and "Alien 3".

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, he was a different Weyland, IIRC (though I suppose it wouldn't have been unreasonable to just change the character's first name if needed).

13. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I saw a little of that viral promotional stuff w/the younger Weyland and eventually learned of the original plan. But when the age gap is that big, I actually prefer using two actors. It just feels more authentic to me.

It's funny though, I recently watched Bad Grandpa and the old age make-up in that low budget comedy is light years ahead of Prometheus and I never once thought of "Grandpa" as a younger man in make-up.

14. Da'wid Yott

Da'wid Yott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2014
    .. agree with two points: the old man make-up was not good - and the "old man acting" was not good as well. I would have loved to have seen Max Von Sydow in that part, heck, even add a few more wrinkles onto Rutger Hauer!...would have tied Weyland and Tyrell... But boy, did they get the old man feet down...oh, I hope that was not a "foot stand-in."

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Would Ian Holm regard any interest for returning to the series?

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Well, Charles Weyland was dead by the end of "Alien Vs Predator" and Bishop Weyland was much further down in the timeline with "Alien 3". So Peter Weyland looking like Charles Weyland would be reasonable, but I think Scott wanted to avoid that all together.

17. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

The AvP movies aren't cannon. Fortunately.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, but Aliens and Alien 3 are.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    AFAIK, there's nothing that prevents their inclusion- it's just that Prometheus was supposedly developed without trying to link to any of the sequels/prequels/spinoffs except for the original Alien.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Probably not.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

True, but stuff revealed in "Prometheus" suggests that the xenomorph as we know it wasn't in existence until the end of the film. To make it work, you'd have to conclude that the Yautja figured out long ago how to make a xenomoprh and stole the original egg DNA from the Mala'kak and then went through the same process in "Prometheus", in order to get the xenomorphs that we know.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes and no- the Deacon clearly wasn't the exact breed of Xenomorph we saw in the other films (likely due to it's differing origins involving humans as first in the chain instead of last). So as long as the Yautja acquired eggs from the correct lineage of mutations, them breeding the eggs with humans to create game for sport to get "correct" Xenos would still pan out.

And, since AVP shows that the Predators have been visiting Earth for thousands of years with Xeno eggs, that would align with the timeline of events of the Engineers still being active in developing the black ooze that could create eggs as well as the supposed timeframe of the outbreak- thus allowing Yautja to potentially acquire eggs from downed Juggernauts or other facilities (and, with the Engineers potentially dead or demilitarized, explain why their use of the eggs would go unchallenged by their creators).

rumsmuggler likes this.
  23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You guys keep talking like they filmed more movies after Alien 3.

dp4m likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I still enjoyed the first 80% of AR, most of AVP (at the very least, it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be) and 1/2-2/3rds of AVPR (so long as you ignore any scene involving human storylines). It doesn't make any sense to fracture the series to me, even if you're not going to acknowledge the others directly.

And I still think, one day, we'll finally get a third AVP movie with Colonial Marines (would actually be a great way to follow-up Predators), which is pretty much the movie people wanted out of the franchise to begin with.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    AVP is totally as bad as people make it out to be, what in the hell are you talking about? It's ludicrous.

If they had just taken the insanely good original mini-series storyline and done that it would have eliminated all of the insanity and made it awesome. That they bastardized it into something taking place on Earth, making it nonsensical, should have been a non-starter...

spicer and JoinTheSchwarz like this.