main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph On Earth, Everyone Can Hear You Scream: The Prometheus / Alien Discussion Thread (Romulus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Oooh, just re-read the synopsis. The covenant is "a colony ship". to me, that implies it's rolling deep with maybe a dozen families or so. Whole lotta potential victims there and/or get transformed into monsters! Yay!

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Semi-related, Alien FB pg just posted this pic which is kind of fun. Look at Ash all ready to rumble!:

[​IMG]

Best comment winnar: "Why does the crew of the Nostromo look like they're about to drop the hottest mix-tape of 2015?"

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So additional news on AC (ha, Fassbender has two movies coming out abbreviated AC...):

The first is that AC will be the first of a new trilogy leading into Alien, not part 2 of 3: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ridley-scott-alien-covenant-is-844051

“It's a very complex story. It's an evolution of what I first did with Prometheus 1,” he said of the new film, which tells the story of the crew of the colony ship Covenant, who discover what they think is an uncharted paradise but is actually a dark, dangerous world whose sole inhabitant is the synthetic David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

“Prometheus 1 was born out of my frustration that on Alien 1 in 1979 I only did one as I don't normally do sequels. I was amazed that in the three that followed that no one asked the question: "Why the Alien, who made it and why?" Very basic questions. So I came up with the notion of Prometheus 1, which starts to indicate who might have made it and where it came from,” Scott said.

"So I’m now going to the next one, which is the next evolution directly connected with the first one, which was this Shaw, when he replaced Michael Fassbender in two pieces and we’ll kind of pick it up there and it will evolve. When that’s finished there’ll be another one and then another one, which will gradually drive into the back entrance of the film in 1979,” the British director revealed.

“So in other words, why was this space jockey there and why did he have an Alien inside him? And those questions will be answered,” he added.

Scott’s aversion to sequels is clearly fading in part inspired by the new Star Wars films.
    “Star Wars will be a juggernaut. Why do you think I’m doing sequels?” he quipped"

Next, Shaw will only have a minor role in the film and Fassbender will be playing two roles in the film: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Michael-Fassbender-Play-Two-Roles-Alien-Covenant-96877.html

Obvious speculation is he's playing "the" David from Prometheus and a different David brought with the crew.

Darthmaul208, spicer and TX-20 like this.
  4. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    2 Davids 2 Prometheus

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Sulaco Drift

Jedi Knight Fett, BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Bring it Ridley :cool:

rumsmuggler likes this.
  7. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

Frickin' lasers.

8. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Come on, really Ridley. Is this some kind of elaborate joke?

So you moan at the original three Alien films for not asking why the space jockey is there, despite them following the horror theme /action so to remedy this you literally forget what Promethues 2 should be and decide we will explore why the space jockey is there by another trilogy that leads directly into Alien. Using the same plot treads that doesn't need doing with two davids and a colony ship exploring a "paradise".

Basically we are getting Alien again. With david replaced with bishop. And some shady Ripley stuff, oh a paradise being bad as well as xenomorphs and all the frak that comes with it.
    Let me guess the twist will be that david is the space jockey or shaw is related to Ripley.

What a joke. I want more of Promethues not alien. Give the alien fans whatever the heck Neil Blokamp (the alien 2.5 fan dream project) wanted to do and leave it alone. Alien is done and you can't show us anything else that I REALLY need to see or want to.
    I want smart sci fi and Promethues was a step in the right direction minus all the horror and alien connection crap.

Ridley stop doing action and horror and do smart sci fi. Promethues 2 not Alien 0.2,0.5 and 0.8. Alien fans don't really care where the space jockey came from, they care about action and horror. I care but how the heck can you explore that using an alien type film? You cannot.

It isn't a new arguement because in the commentry and special features he talks about it. He also brought up the reason Engineer Jesus. Do we really want this? Can the world take it? He will be branded a lunatic.

Why assume he gets a whole trilogy to do what he set out to do in one film. Heck Promethues 2 was a push of a sequel, it might not even happen. Don't be suprised if in 20 years some guy makes a dream version of Promethues 1.5 where they thoutht it would go. (Me by the way)

Honestly I think it will end up being some hack job slaughtered together by Ridley and Fox, and after Ridley will say it was not his fault and that his "idea" wasn't fully realised. Does he really know what he is doing?

I am losing faith everytime he talks. I will see the film but I don't like where this is going or where it will end up.

Deliveranze likes this.
  9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't know what to say except it's disappointing Ridley is taking a sharp curve back into the Alien franchise right off rather than the sort of wide curve he suggested he was taking with the Prometheus storyline. I expected Shaw and David in search of something blue sky, where the big guys came from. Now it seems he's jettisoning this wide story arc back to Alien in favor of something more directly in line with the Alien saga right from the get go.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  10. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I was so disappointed in Prometheus, I for one am glad the next film will be closer to Alien in its subject matter. Those long-standing questions about the impregnated Space Jockey are more intriguing to me than... whatever Prometheus was about.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Personally, I liked Prometheus but still kind of want to see what Scott can do going deliberately closer to the source material, so it's basically win/win for me.*

*Admittedly I'm on record about being fine with a well-lighted chair for a sequel.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  12. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Is it not at least hinted/referred to?
    That was meant to be one of the first 'aims' of a prequel that turned into Promethues.
    "They were going to earth to destroy us", the ships are loaded with the vase things that mutate things bad/ evil. There's a mural of the Alien on the Head habitat room.
    Fill in the blanks. The alien escaped somehow impregnated the jockey whilst he hibernated in the chair.

Space Jockey = Engineer. They went looking for them, they found a staging area with ships full of vases, that one was going to head for earth. They awoke the Engineer and it was annoyed when some old guy (generalising here I know the story) asks to be cured of death and to be granted immortality. He refuses goes on a rampage and tries to complete his mission, fails because The Promethues crashes into it. Shaw and David survive and they find another ship and Shaw specifically says she wants to go where they came from.

Cue big adventure on an alien planet tackling contemporary issues ala Battlestar Galactica. Taking the fight/message to the creator (supposed)
    No lets have ANOTHER Alien film, full of horror and action.

If you can't tell I am disappointed. Promethues is in my top 5 favourite films. The sequel should have been alot different.

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

I see what you're saying. But, remember Scott originally intended for the third Prometheus film to lead back into the Alien films in some way. He said that in all the press leading up to Prometheus. But now, it's like he's cutting that all short and going forward from where the end of the third Promethean film would have left off.

I'll still look forward to it as Scott designs and builds worlds as well as anybody.

I just wanted something a bit different and ancient aliens is a fascinating bit of mythology to use as the bedrock of the storyline. Now it seems like Ridley, or most likely Fox, felt they needed their own SW so they decided to take this route.

14. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015

You're correct, of course. All of that definitely happens. I meant I'd like to see the origins specifically of that Jockey, the one we see in Alien. The one in Prometheus is a different Engineer, and the planet(oid) is a different world altogether. But I do appreciate the recap, as I only saw Prometheus once.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    While Lambert looks to be stoned.

Deliveranze likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think this next flick may have a bit more direct Alien references but I still think Scott is going to go for his more philosophical Space God route. I'm totally okay with some Fassbender v Fassbender scenes, though! If Scott ever reaches the end of his proposed Alien / Prometheus films, I think he would end if with the LV-426 chestbuster alien, though. But that is now 2 more movies away at this point.

(this series seems to keep expanding in Scott's mind, I remember I think at Prometheus he said at least a sequel or that was the start of a trilogy.)

17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah if Prometheus was successful, Scott said the plan was for a trilogy with the final film leading directly into Alien.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Bit more o Scott chatter. Nice to see he's taking his Martian hype and pushing it back into the world of Alien. And more Alien this time (probably origins)

http://www.thewrap.com/ridley-scott-martian-humor-prometheus-alien-prequel/

Your next film is a sequel to “Prometheus.”Yeah. Well, really it’s “Alien.” They’re going to go to the planet where the engineers came from, and come across the evolving creature that they had made. Why did they make it? Why would they make such a terrifying beast? It felt bio-mechanoid, it felt like a weapon. And so the movie will explain that, and reintroduce the alien back into it.
    There was always this discussion: Is Alien, the character, the beast, played out or not? We’ll have them all: egg, face-hugger, chest-burster, then the big boy. I think maybe we can go another round or two.
    When you were making the first “Alien,” did you think there was more to explore with that creature?Yeah, definitely. I knew we had done something special. I mean, I knew it as soon as I met with [painter, illustrator and creature designer] H.R. Giger. He was an artist in every sense of the word, but very businesslike. There was no rock ‘n’ roll — well, there was quietly, but he never brought it to the set. And I knew I had something special with this creature that he designed. Without that creature, the film wouldn’t have been the same.

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Given how simple the premise of Alien was, I've always questioned the need for THREE movies just to set that up. It's overcomplicating something that was pretty simple to begin with, and the first just made things convoluted to boot.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    He still doesn't get that those questions being unanswered is a huge part of why the original Alien was and remains so compelling.

Honestly, I feel like this is going to be a case where he's going to spend billions and billions of dollars and years and years of his life to put out three massive movies . . . and then I'm going to pretend they don't exist every time I watch Alien again. You know, like with Terminator. Because unless he's able to do something unbelievably compelling with this trilogy, Alien will still be a better movie if you have no idea where the alien came from.

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  21. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    I just always assumed, based on reading Sagan and others' thoughts about extraterrestrials, that the Xenomorph is just a natural, biological creature. It seems insanely different from Earth-based lifeforms because it's an alien. Why people, including Scott, think it has to be some engineered weapons-grade monster remains a mystery to me.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  22. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

Scott has had that thought since Alien came out..or at least that it was a natural creature being used as a weapon.

23. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    That's not what he's saying now, though. Why does he think someone has to have made it? To me it's a big space insect, naturally evolved, not a "bio-mechanoid weapon". See link in post #868.

Ridley Scott: Why did they make it? Why would they make such a terrifying beast? It felt bio-mechanoid, it felt like a weapon.

24. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I guess he caught Lucas syndrome and wants to **** around in something that doesn't really need it.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Because he felt Geiger's designs suggested a living mechaniod quality, most likely. That it was a weapon is something that has been around since the first film when you have a ship full of eggs as cargo.