main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph On Earth, Everyone Can Hear You Scream: The Prometheus / Alien Discussion Thread (Romulus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    While I am happy to accept this, back in my long term memory, when I first encountered Alan Dean Foster doing novelisations of films, I am sure he was using either Weyland-Yutani, or just one of the names, in books not necessarily connected to Alien. So there was a time when I thought he had created it.

2. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    alien: application
    alien: admission
    alien: orientation
    alien: registration
    alien: exertion
    alien: examination
    alien: celebration
    alien: vacation

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Aliens: The Bourne Requiem

4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Ahh, another Space Opera with white brunette women as the main protagonists....

5. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    With awkward cameo by Ripley's grown daughter. "Are you okay, main character? My name is Amanda Ripley. Good luck." Shot of RIPLEY name badge on jacket.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Thanks for clarifying!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    rumsmuggler and TX-20 like this.
  8. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    TX-20, ukijedi, rumsmuggler and 5 others like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, most excellent. I'm looking forward to this more now. It would have soured things to have just ignored the fate of the character after she was effectively the drive behind all the events happening.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  10. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I feel like Noomi coming back is a bit of a spoiler. We aren't supposed to know that. She's a plot twist. She's the equivalent of robot spider Darth Maul.

Revyl Ren and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Or she's the Peter Weyland is alive third act. Spoiler, not a spoiler, got to see this awesome photo of her

[​IMG]

So worth it. And I'm happy cuz Shaw is really the heart of the first movie. Now here's hoping something mildly pleasant happened with Shaw as opposed to "David betrayed her and she got eaten by Aliens" in a flashback.

spicer and Darthmaul208 like this.
  12. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Quite a lot has been rumoured and I've wanted to post but been away from a computer.
    Is there a way on Tapatalk to find the thread even if it isn't active easily?

I couldn't work out how so didn't post.

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Glad to hear Rapace is returning. I was having all sorts of scenarios play out in my head of the David head somehow getting rid of her.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm watching Prometheus again right now.
    It's alot better than I remembered.

I think it's simply a matter of the reaction to a few silly scenes. The whole snake thing.
    And I'm pretty sure Ridley deliberately put them in, a sort of tribute to such illogical moments in horror movies. He thought it was funny.

Ahh here we go, the Cesarean....

15. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    The alien snake scene was funny, but I have a twisted sense of humor, and I like to see idiots get what frakked over by their own stupidity. I feel that the film wasn't overly terrible, but I read the original script before Lindelof got involved and liked that better.

16. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    And as we learned in Game of Thrones this week, don't run in a straight line.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    GOT spoiler
    Indeed, but no matter how he ran, he was still dead. He was dead from the moment he resurfaced.

18. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree. I don't need Shaw to be the lead this time around, but she was the center of the previous film and I think her arc deserves to be completed/continued. We had Ripley for FOUR films.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    For the billionth time:

1). Watch the movie again, Vickers and Shaw do NOT run in a straight line. They turn slightly (emphasis on slightly; see point 2 to see why) to their left, but the ship is so massive it's not that easy to get out of its way.

2). Watch the movie again and you'll see that there are massive burning chunks of debris falling all over the place. They had a far better chance to survive if they ran under the ship being covered by it.

I sincerely hope this clears the whole argument, but I'm not very optimistic. It seems that it's just cool to complain about it to a degree.

darthdrago and Darthmaul208 like this.
  20. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I've seen it enough times to know all of that, but it has become a running gag over the years. Cinema Sins gets great mileage out if it.

spicer likes this.
  21. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Unfortunately, that's true .

rumsmuggler likes this.
  22. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Cinema Sins is the worst.
    Some of the Promethues points are brought up in the next sentence. They just ignorantly ignore it. They don't understand the film.

23. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    They ignore stuff from films all the time, so I don't think it's about them not understanding the film.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Most of CinemaSins videos are full of nitpicking and hold films to unrealistic expectations, which are tongue and cheek critiques. I don't take them too seriously.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  25. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    The Cinema Sins guys don't understand film period. Instead of pointing out "sins" like "hair style out of place in next scene" they'll just go on and on about how this movie is a ripoff of.......over and over again.

Get some new material.

Darthmaul208 likes this.