main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph On Earth, Everyone Can Hear You Scream: The Prometheus / Alien Discussion Thread (Romulus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. DataMB

DataMB Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2017
    Prometheus is only 5 years old since release. Scott should finish his Alien films first. He wants to hurry up though, he is heading for his 90s!

2. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    It's time for this franchise to die, especially this teasing incomplete prequel series. Too much retreading here; it turns out "Aliens" is the only original sequel of the series. It's time for me to stop having my interest piqued whenever Ridley Scott's name is attached to something. It doesn't even look like a Ridley Scott movie. The action shots were too shaky and close. At first I thought it was nice to see the crewmembers didn't have the same stupid quirks as "Prometheus," only to find they did other nonsensible things (mentioned in other spoiler tagged posts) only to move the story along. There is nothing new here, other than following up what was introduced in "Prometheus." That's probably all that matters, since a lot of people going in will be really familiar with "Prometheus" who prefer it over "Alien" and "Aliens" simply because those movies are "old."

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, I enjoyed this overall (the opening scene and ending probably makes it worth it- and the overall ride there is pretty good, barring a reset for the finale. I think it's weaker than Prometheus on the whole (but then I liked Promethetus) but isn't bad as Prometheus 2 (seriously, at some point Prometheus is just going to get "Indiana Jones and the"'d with an "Alien: Prometheus" title). Like, the characters were more fleshed out in Prometheus but the Covenant characters act more competently. The action is aggressive and it's gorgeous to look at.

Also, can we just have Michael Fassbender play every role in a movie from now on?

Some negatives and observations:
    1) Answer questions before asking new ones! I've long said that the final verdict on Prometheus cannot be made until a sequel to it provides the answers to the questions it raised and that it would ultimately be judged upon those answers. Here, we effectively do not get any answers to those questions- only a continuation.

What was the ultimate purpose of the Engineers? Were there two factions? Why did they create us? Why did they want to destroy us? Why were they welcoming the Juggernaut back?

None of that is answered- we only know why David eradicated them in the present, not their motivations in the past. And now we have questions of what is David's end game? We know he wants to stop humanity from continuing, but how will he do so from the colony planet? Now, perhaps it is Scott's intention to answer all of the above in the next film (or whatever the final film ends up being), but that's putting a lot on the plate to answer in a single film. It runs the risk of making the same mistake as Lucas when he got to Episode III.

2) NO MORE AIRLOCKS. EVER! They managed to add something badass to this one, granted, but that's the third time they've used spacing to kill a Xeno (possibly the fourth if you could the death of the Newborn in Resurrection).

3) An Alien 3 sin: Killing Shaw offscreen between films. Have you learned nothing from the Newt/Hicks controversy?

4) Environmental suits on alien worlds! For fracks sake, use them! Keep them on! You cans till have monsters or accidents rip them and allow infections without making people seem stupid or careless.

Beyond that it's smaller details that could be explained down the road: How do these Xenos gestate so quickly (even compared to the "purer" Prometheus creatures? Why do they not have a chestburster snake stage now but do have one later and instead pop out fully formed here? It's kinda funny that the AVP films might actually answer this a little by suggesting the Yautja could induce a quick gestation for their purposes, despite these newer films ignoring them.

I did like the Alien POV shot- it makes it look like a normal POV looking through a translucent shell, which ties into the human-like skull underneath the smooth head of the original creature.

Also, there was a little cameo by the Deacon amongst David's work so at least there's another connection there.

4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    How the hell do we get the eggs in this movie? I understand that Ridley Scott may not like the Alien queen concept to lay them, and at first I thought that David might have made Shaw into an egg.....but there are several eggs in that chamber, right? I really really wish that was better explained.

I didn't care a whole lot for the movie overall. You could just watch the first hour of Prometheus, the last hour of Alien, read David's wiki page and largely get the same experience. I just feel like they're remaking the movies, just not doing it as well this time. Granted, Ridley Scott can still direct the hell out of a movie. The look is great, the acting is overall amazing, and Scott knows how to move his camera through the world (that David-Walter flute scene was great). There's a very compelling short film from David landing on the planet and eradicating the Engineers, communing with the neomorph, and his relationship with Walter that I would gladly watch than the whole movie all over again. It's just so derivative of Prometheus and Alien I can't possibly see why I'd want to watch it again, and the characters who aren't androids are generally so underwritten or straight up insultingly stupid that it comes across more as a dumb slasher movie than a proper alien movie.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Looking forward to seeing this this afternoon with the son in law. Daughter isn't really interested, but how much you want to bet she goes with? lol

6. Organafan

Jan 14, 2017
    There was a sound effect that kept popping up throughout the movie that seemed familiar. At first I thought it was in "Alien" but I'm wondering if it was from Ridley Scott's 1984 Apple Macintosh commercial. Someone going to the movie listen for it.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Took in $36m this weekend- compared to Prometheus's $51m. But AC also cost $30m less so if the worldwide total% favors international to the degree Prometheus did (almost 70%) then AC should do pretty decently on the whole.

8. Organafan

Jan 14, 2017
    Yes, a sound in the movie, heard in this "prologue" video (spoilers) towards the end of sounds similar to the recurring sound in the 1984 Apple Macintosh commercial
    (

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So, will David

become the Space Jockey?

10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

You think he'd have to be for the whole story to actually pay off.

Somebody on twitter put it nicely that WALTER was the film fans wanted Ridley to make. David was the film Ridley wanted to make.

David is the only interesting thing about these films.

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    It was ok, totally predictable, but at least not terrible.

12. Organafan

Jan 14, 2017
    He's not big enough.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My current theory is that something will happen that requires David to get more of the virus (perhaps a final act by the crew of the Covenant), so he returns to LV-223 to get more/steal another Juggernaut so that he can produce more eggs in order to hit Earth.

However, intervention by the jumbo space jockey scuttles those plans and crashes on LV-426. Then David either sets off the warning beacon that will eventually lure the Nostromo to it or manages to send a message to the company informing them about it, knowing they'd search for it eventually.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    When the movie started, I was confused by the timeline. When the movie ended, I was confused about the overall franchise timeline, so I looked it up online. I feel there has been some type of retcon, but I'm not so attuned to the details of the Alien franchise.

I definitely have to watch the original film again and learn more about Origae-6. I'm not sure how they'll be able to follow up Covenant.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's really not that confusing, unless you mean specific dates and the various viral promos.

-Prometheus prologue/seeding Earth
    -(AVP backstory, if you count them)
    -(Predator & AVP films, if you count them)
    -Prometheus Weyland TED talk promo
    -Covenant prologue/birth of David
    -Prometheus David sales promo
    -Prometheus
    -Covenant David/Shaw backstory "I have become Death."
    -Covenant Walter promo
    -Covenant Last Supper promo
    -Covenant
    -(Awakening/next film)
    -Alien, Isolation, Aliens, Colonial Marines, etc.

EDIT- if we're talking specific dates:

-1987: Predator
    -1997: Predator 2
    -2004: AVP/AVPR
    -20XX: Predators
    -2018: The Predator (presumably)
    -2089-2093: Prometheus
    -2104: Covenant
    -21XX: (Awakening)
    -2122: Alien
    -2137: Isolation
    -2179-2184: Aliens, Alien 3, Colonial Marines
    -2379: Resurrection

TX-20 likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Thanks!

My confusion of the timeline about specific dates and amount of time that had elapse; like how much time passed between the opening scene of Covenant and the events of Prometheus, and the time between Covenant and the original Alien movie.

I thought "the space jockey" was like a hundred year old when it's discovered in Alien.

And what planet was in the movie Aliens.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    A lil something from the movie.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The more I think about it, the more I want to do a Quest's Qut merging Prometheus and Covenant into one film...

Still open with the Prometheus prologue but then use Covenant as a frame story, starting with them already meeting David (or possibly their descent to the planet- either way, dropping the solar sail damage sequence).

Insert the birth of David, Drop the archeology of Prometheus and jump to the debriefing. Let Prometheus more or less play out (maybe intercut some more of Covenant in the middle as things are revealed but saving Shaw's fate until we're done with Prometheus. End with the escape from the planet on the cargo loader but cut the alien aboard the ship and just go to the David reveal. Boom.

You can use
    Weyland's visual age
    to ballpark the time between the prologue and Prometheus.

Aliens was LV-426 (aka Acheron), the same from Alien but different from LV-223 from Prometheus.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Okay. Thanks! I think that clears up some confusion.

So it was a different Engineer ship in Alien, right?

One thing I didn't like about Covenant, is that...

the alien was changed into a virus that can be airborne to infect a host.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's a different Juggernaut in Alien/Aliens than the one that crashed in Prometheus or the second one from Prometheus that now crashed on "Planet 4" in Covenant.

Now that I think about it- they never say why the Juggernaught crashed in Covenant (other than David's lie to coverup Shaw's death).[ it was still airborne and functional when he deployed the virus bombardment.

TX-20 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

If I am not mistaken...

Daniels figured out when talking to David that Shaw did not die in the crash and David said he killed her afterwards in his experiments. Now I am brain farting a bit...is there not a scene where he puts her to sleep in a pod? If so then he may have woke her up, launched his attack, and she crashed the ship. That would not make much sense though. If you're David just leave her asleep and make the attack. Otherwise we have to assume something not mentioned like lack of fuel or power or the ship just went to far and was not longer operable. I would have liked a more direct answer.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the pod scene was in that prologue clip they released online for Alien Day- it might not have been in the final version of that sequence in the film though.

EDIT- yeah, here it is:

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

Ridley Scott isn't just attached to this film in name only he directed it!
    I loved Prometheus thought it was Alien back to its roots and I loved all the practical Effects! I am a big fan of Danny McBride and James Franco I love them in all those stoner Seth Rogen Films!

I am Seeing Alien Covenant Today at 12:00PM I am leaving my house at 11:00AM

spicer and rumsmuggler like this.
  24. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Well I got back a little before 3pm, Me and my dad really Enjoyed It, Right up there with Prometheus and the original Alien IMHO! Did anyone notice how short the credits were? must mean lots of Practical effects were used!

@DataMB
    Ridley Scott was born in 1937 he Is 80 years old. he isn't closing in on 90 or were you being sarcastic?