main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph On Earth, Everyone Can Hear You Scream: The Prometheus / Alien Discussion Thread (Romulus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I believe they talk about the timeline for what happened to the weapons lab (where they landed) and how they'd planned to go eradicate Earth about 2000 years ago and something went wrong. Nothing at all about the Christ bits, just a basic timeline.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=125357
    Ripley?!?:eek:

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    @

[​IMG]

@spicer You frequent the same site as me! Do you comment? I love the comments it's brilliant. the infighting, the hate, the flame wars.

Seriously Ridley that's enough. Come On I can't take anymore. I'm going to end up on one of those fan forums aren't I?

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Given that the first film takes place in a time before Ripley would even have been born, I'm guessing that we'll be dealing with a relative of hers.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

"I'm Ellen Ripley's great-grandmother Helen. I feel like I know you guys so well already, so we won't have that awkward get to know you phase. In fact, you can just call me Ellen."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Anyone read the stories with Ripley's daughter? I go back to the "new" interconnected stories- the books and comics and ALIEN: ISOLATION were meant to all connect. I need to just get them don't I?!

spicer likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Jesus was a 9-foot-tall hairless albino (I assume he actually bothered to learn Aramaic or Greek or something and wasn't babbling in some Proto-Indo-European gobbledygook like his friend in the movie) and people in the ancient Near East thought it was nbd.

dp4m likes this.
  8. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    new basileus day?

9. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    @Darth Guy That is another of my problems with it (well most people). David some how deciphers languages to there roots and speaks the language of the Engineers. First of all the Proto language is a theory and only the proto Indo-European is "widely accepted" (Ie. likely but still not conclusive). How ? I mean we can't do it for languages we have evidence for let alone deciphering a language that is ancient. The purpose of language would be different, he wouldn't know how to pronounce the sounds. Why is the Engineers the same language as proto civilisation- Where they created at the same time?

10. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I think the insinuation is that the Engineers created the proto Indo-European civilization, and that's why the language is the same.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Ridley Scott and co.'s m.o. is to take (pseudo)scientific and (pseudo)historical ideas and make them ****. Recently most of his films have leaned on the pseudohistory (the Roman Republic was a liberal democracy in Gladiator; the Crusader states were secular humanist paradises and Saladin don't care about no Islam in Kingdom of Heaven). Yes, the reasonable interpretation of the Prometheus film (that is, not including bull*****ing in interviews and BD special features) is that all human language-- both spoken and written forms-- originates from the Engineers. Somehow Lisbeth believed this to be true so much (no idea what the basis for this assumption was beyond wild speculation) that Fassbender's task during the journey was to learn this original language. Problem is, while current linguists hypothesize that all language originates from a single source, they have not yet found evidence of it (AFAIK, one hypothesis is that language has multiple origins so not all languages are related). And even if they did, it wouldn't be possible to become semi-fluent in a reconstructed language and have a conversation with a native speaker. And written language is an entirely different beast. And the Engineers' own language should have evolved the same way as humans', so a guy who is "only" 2,000 years old shouldn't be speaking something that's over 10,000 years old.

But Jesus was a space alien! Deep!

12. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Kinda but what about the others? They were in the island of skye at the start, and they also mention that there are other messages left by ancient civilisations that weren't in contact with each other.

13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    If we're going to be all literary, this sequel should be called The Ringworld Engineers.

14. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Say how much do you know of ancient civilisations? Might want to talk to you about it.

How did Weyland develop a robot that can do that. It is impossible. We have done it somewhat in one article I read but it was ****** because they used modern languages and went backwards to develop a mother tongue. I don't buy that personally.
    Wouldn't it have been done already on earth developing the tech for an android.? And why is it the same. Unless they pull an Indiana Jones and say they gave us everything.

15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Eh, guess the Engineers wanted to spread the message to make sure everyone got it in case humans migrated or something.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  16. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    But they were already migrated? And correct me if I am wrong it mentions different times! The languages and cultures would already be different.

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Does beezel have a new nick?

18. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    The Engineers work in mysterious ways

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I forget the order of events, but David spends the journey analyzing or deconstructing possible language theories - however I don't think he starts speaking it until after they have an example of it in the recordings, no?

Of course the final film cut most if the Engineer's lines so maybe David didn't do such a good job afterall. ;)

One can certainly draw conclusions based on the timeline but there's nothing in the film to concretely establish the concept. The next film could come up with an entirely different reason from 2000 years ago and it wouldn't contradict anything in the first film.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Shaw & David end up in stasis at the end of Alien: Paradise Lost, postcredit scene they wake up in Alien 5 with Ripley & Hicks. Boyah!

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nah, they should wake up on post-infestation-devastated Earth with the Ripley clone, Call and alternate-ending-Army-of-Darkness Ash.

"We slept too long!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and darth-sinister like this.
  22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I thought we were created by the engineers DNA which he spilled in the water at the start . --?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We were created by a similar process (the planet in the opening isn't necessarily Earth, IIRC). The black goo seems to have a life seeding function as well as a life consuming weapon function.

24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Frankly the idea of tying the Space Jockey's (I'm not calling then "Engineers") to Earth at all was lame imo. It wasn't needed and was rather cliché/typical. And doing it in the way that they did was even more so. I mean AVP kind of did this with the whole "ancient civilizations around the world worshiped/learned from the Predators," but that was a Paul W.S. Anderson film. I expect his movies to be dumb, but I expected better of Sir Ridley Scottt. My mistake.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Three times.

[​IMG]

"Jesus is Chinese, Brian. Chinese. And it's Haung. Jesus Haung. He doesn't know where you get Christ from."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]