main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ridley Scott's PROMETHEUS ( the ALIEN prequel / spin-off )

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Lilapso, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Well folks the official preview teaser for Ridley Scott's Prometheus is here! The teaser is attached to the film The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. You can find the teaser on-line.

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!

------------------------------------------------

Prometheus is a prequel and spin-off to Ridley Scott's ALIEN. The 'Space Jockey' species is the major element that ties Prometheus to ALIEN. In the teaser one can clearly see the biomechanical horseshoe-shaped starship used by the 'Space Jockey' species. OH, MY WORD! This film looks frakking GREAT! Scott used little to no CGI in Prometheus. He filmed Prometheus 'old school' - with built physical sets and models. The teaser for Prometheus has that Forbidden Planet / Planet Of Space Vampires vibe to it. Do not expect to see the xenomorph from ALIEN in Prometheus. Scott has said that the ALIEN creature has been rung dry by AVP misuse. Instead expect to see other 'Space Jockey' bioweapons. June 2012 can not arrive fast enough!

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Trailer link

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those urn-looking canisters are holding some eggs.

Great teaser though- love the throw back to the Alien(s/3) trailer logo style, as well as a merger from the modern "BWOMMMMM! BWOMMM!" trailer audio design and the "KaWAhhhhhh... KaWAhhhhhh..." siren from the Alien trailer (which really is an ancient blueprint for the modern "BWOMMMM!" anyways).

Also, you can see them scanning the Space Jockey head in that lab if you look fast enough (it's hard to look at the visuals as the emerging title words do tend to draw one's attention ;)).

I read somewhere else that it was said that this is a different planet, which could be interesting- as this might be a different Space Jocjey ship altogether. Some people have commented that the ship in this trailer, while clearly almost the same, is much rounder than the tighter U of the original model design, so they could very well be different SJ ships that crash.

3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I kept waiting for the Xenomorph at the end of the trailer...and it never came.

and I was sad.

-----

In some ways, I can see the nods to Alien, but in others, it's almost like "Lost in Space" in style...it's kind of goofy.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    This is the very 1st time Im hearing the term Space Jockey for the dead pilot in film 1. Cool.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think I read somewhere that Ridley Scott doesn't even know how it became known as the Space Jockey- they just started calling it that on the set of the original film and it stuck.

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Thats pretty crazy and neat if ya ask me! lol

Im rather confused about this being an Alien prequel without the Aliens though.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As I understand it, it began as an Alien prequel but as they developed the story, Ridley really liked the one direction they were heading and decided to explore that more thoroughly, making it more of a spin-off set in the same universe, though still with the Space Jockey origin as the through-line between the films (as Ridley mentioned even as far back as his commentary track for the Quadrilogy DVD release).

With the talk of this being a search for our beginnings, I suspect there may be the suggestion that whoever/whatever created the xenomorph (presumably as bioweapons) may have had a hand in our creation as well, with the Space Jockey(s?) involved somewhere inbetween.

8. Darth_Lilapso

Jun 25, 2007
    Recently Ridley Scott stated that the classic xenomorph from the four ALIEN films will not make an appearance in Prometheus. Instead we will see other bio-engineered products. Perhaps prototype concepts that will lead to the classic xenomorph. For example rumours seem to indicate a proto-facehugger the size of a large truck. This proto-facehugger attempts to mount the huge biomechanical head that serves as the central computer for 'Space Jockey' spacecraft. Another rumour is that the initial original form of the xenomorph was the clear goop that serves as the creature's saliva. In other words the xenomorph prototype was a clear jelly-like substance that took on it's humanoid form from its progenitor the 'Space Jockey' and it also came into contact with insect analogues. The result will be a 30-50 foot tall xenomorph that terrorizes both 'Space Jockeys' and humans alike. That monster of the Id is big enough to squash the future queen xenomorphs. Another rumour is that the clear jelly-like goop infects a Prometheus crewmember and transforms the crewmember into a monster. Yet another rumour is that one or more of the female humans will be impregnated by a 'Space Jockey' - maybe by choice. Only it goes horribly wrong in a bloody way. Not like the chestbursters exactly, but rather rupturing the entire human female crew member's body. Though I think it important to remember that Ridley Scott has stated that Prometheus not so much a haunted house-in-space type film like ALIEN was. Rather Prometheus is more akin to 2001: A Space Odyssey and it's sequel 2010: Space Odyssey II: The Year We Make Contact. June 2012 will reveal all.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  10. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    One of the movies I'm most looking forward to this year. Btw, I'm back. Anything new going on here? [face_dancing]

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fire, brimstone, cats and dogs living together- it's awesome.

12. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Don't forget the giant Twinkie.

I have hopes for this movie. As long as it scares me as much as Alien did many, many moons ago.

13. Darth_Lilapso

Jun 25, 2007
    I suspect the factor of fear is different when comparing ALIEN to PROMETHEUS. With the film ALIEN the fear is more of the physical type. Whereas with PROMETHEUS the fear will be more of the cerebral type. ALIEN goes for the gut level reaction. PROMETHEUS goes for the mind. ALIEN is a simple story based on the Ten Little Indians dynamic. PROMETHEUS is about challenging the scaless of sentient cosmic powers.

14. Darth_Lilapso

Jun 25, 2007
    Has anyone visiting this post heard / read anything about the PROMETHEUS novelization? I'm hoping that writer Alan Dean Foster will supply the novel based upon the film.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  16. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    Looks like one of the better Ridley Scott movies (when he's good, he's brilliant, when he's off, he's really weak). I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

But I am predicting another John Carter flop here. There just ins't a big enough "Alien" fanbase to make this the success it has to be to recoup its cost. Like JC, we're getting a really teasing ad campaign that doesn't give the average audience member a reason to care. Throwing wild imagery at the audience didn't work for Tron : Legacy or John Carter, both really fine SF films that failed to reach large audiences upon initial release. I hope it's otherwise, 'cause things are looking down for ambitious SF on the big screen right now. Audiences are saying "no" to films that are closer to literary (true) SF than the usual fantasies in space we get. Studios probably aren't going to get behind Foundation, Lensman, Ender's Game, Dune etc. let alone anything original. There are no established characters, not even the familiar "creature", to sell this film. I'm afraid, "It totally takes place on LV-426!!" means ZERO to the average moviegoer.

The bottom line with Prometheus is that the ad campaign has yet to tell us what the heck it's about, who the characters are & why we should care about them. Same mistake made with T:L & JC.

BTW, my predictions for JC were 100% dead-on.
    As I said, hope I'm wrong, but audiences would probably prefer something like "Aliens" meets "AVP", sadly.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd completely disagree with you- first off, the Alien fanbase is larger than anything John Carter or Tron had going for it (and is unquestionably far, far more mainstream in terms of general audience awareness). There's also the wildly positive reaction to the trailers so far (compared to the indifference for John Carter's)- this is easily the 3rd or 4th most anticipated film of the year after TDKR, Avengers & The Hobbit.

Second, while the ad had teased with some imagery, there has been a clear premise promoted: scientists following an archaeological clue to an alien world that holds the promise of information on our origins, but instead leads to a threat against our world.

(I'd also point out that Tron Legacy also had a clear premise hook presented in all of it's trailers, as they all focused on the son searching for the missing father)

Add to that the fact that it's built in style on the original Alien trailer (which was obviously effective and is well known, not to mention that it's the progenitor to the modern BWOM! BWOM! BWOM! trailer structure that's proven effective).

Neither film is anything like John Carter's marketing campaign, which took until a couple weeks before the film was released to provide any context for the events being shown, or even convey that it wasn't set on Earth or that there was even a threat to Earth. Not to mention the hazy tone/genre/demographic issues.

Prometheus is clearly aimed at a sci-fi/horror demographic.

18. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    We'll see opening weekend.

Lots of "big buzz" trailers did zero to make hits, see "Watchmen".

I'm sticking to my guns with this one. It's nice to have a relatively adult SF movie from a great director, but any young people I've met who've seen "Alien" describe it as "not scary" "boring" and "old fashioned". Most Americans have zero clue what "Prometheus" means, let alone have the ability to relate the story to the unhatched back-mythology to a movie they've probably never seen, or think of as "really old".

It'll do slightly better than JC but if it makes much more than $45 million opening w/e I'll eat my hat...and it's one helluva nasty old hat!

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Look, Prometheus 2 teases a Giant Turd in Space. Gone less symbolic and more literal this time round, it seems.

[​IMG]

Darth Guy and Ender_Sai like this.
  20. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    In space...no one can hear you poop.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Vin, are you Cleveland Steamering the Alien franchise again?