main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph On Earth, Everyone Can Hear You Scream: The Prometheus / Alien Discussion Thread (Romulus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Like "Little green bag?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    [image=http://i44.tinypic.com/oadtdw.jpg]

Assuming that is the Space Jockey, am I the only one bitterly disappointed he doesn't have a trunk?

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/aliens/images/0/0a/Space_Jockey.jpg]

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Your point being?

5. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    I can only assume that that's just the "chair" we saw in Alien...unless I'm missing something.

6. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    From what Scott has said, that was the corpse wearing a biomechanical suit.

It's the helmet that has the trunk.

[image=http://theomniscientmussel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/dr-zoidberg.png]

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The trunk:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/eethit/jock.jpg]

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    According to the wiki I grabbed that pic from the concept art had the runk as nothing more than an air hose like you see with a fighter pilot.

I will say though that I have an issue of an Alien comic which shows a far more scary pic of the jockey with his trunk rather than just an air hose and it was rather cool.

9. Mortimer_Snerd

Mar 14, 2004
    I'd like to see that...any chance you could scan it or something?

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Um, dammit not at the moment but I'll see what I can conjure. Be patient.

11. Mortimer_Snerd

Mar 14, 2004
    *anticipates*

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok, I cannot find my own actual comic. Alas, it may have been a victim of theft along with a decent original collection of SW stuff that was stolen long ago...

But google is my friend:

[image=http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/Boolu_666/3-3-2009104936AM.jpg]

And one panel of higher quality:

[image=http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5oa8gseeT1qa1o5zo1_500.jpg]

I do not recall what came right before this so the context escapes me.

Here is another from an apparently different comic which obviously goes with what I posted above:

[image=http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/Boolu_666/3-3-2009104811AM.jpg]

Now here comes something AWESOME that i found while looking this up:

9 Things We Might Know About The Alien/Prometheus Space Jockey

From page 3:

So, it?s beginning to look like the picture the comics paint of the Space Jockeys is that they are a lot like early 20th century Germany; they just could not get along with anybody. In the ?awesome? Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem, a Space Jockey skull can be seen on the Predator ship, suggesting that at some point a Predator killed an armed Jockey, possibly in a jungle surrounded by several other Jockeys for hire. Okay, that?s just silly.
    But the various back stories of these series imply that the Jockeys and Predators have their own uses for the aliens, and this has led to them hating each other, kind of like interstellar Israelis and Palestinians, with the aliens being a multi-mouthed Gaza Strips

That has nothing to do with Prometheus but this does:

Ridley Scott has gone on the record saying that the Jockey we see in the movie isn?t a shot of the being at all, but rather the suit it was wearing, like the biomechanical suits the aliens in Independence Day were wearing (not that ID4 ripped off Alien for the idea. Surely it was from one of the other 20 old sci-fi films it borrowed from).

But here?s a direct quote from the guy who directed the original movie, who may have a thing or two to say about it?

?I think beneath that carcass? it?s not a carcass, it?s a suit. Inside the suit is a being.?

So the comic renderings of the elephant-nosed creature with the hard exoskeleton are off base. Screw you for trying to be clever, comic artists!

Of course, when Prometheus finally comes out, it will likely turn out that everything the other writers have speculated will be wrong, because Scott, if he is even familiar with them, would probably want to surprise the audience with completely original ideas, probably leading to large numbers of fat pimply comic nerds shrieking in rage.

13. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Calling AVPR awesome made me stop reading.

14. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    um yeah it had better not be a man with an elephant nose.

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Except for that line, which I passed with a snort, I enjoyed the article.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    AvP; I can watch it. It is not terrible entertainment, but it is a bad comicbook version of good movies.

AVPR; the human sub plots were useless. The Predator and Predalien scenes are frickin cool. I wish the human stories had been all but dropped, perhaps reduced to quicker encounters. The whole film could have been the two alien beings hunting each other amongst human victims and it might have been great.

While I'm at it:

Alien - Obviously awesome.

Aliens - Also awesome.

Alien 3 - This actually holds up. It did piss me off at first. Such emotional investment is made for Hicks and Newt only to have them killed off before the 3rd film starts? However, I grew out of that thought and it says something that not every story should have a happy ending.

Alien 4 - I actually like the first 30 minutes of this, the pirates are cool. The captain gets killed and it's all downhill from there though I did like the underwater scenes. And the alien/human hybrid? That is perhaps the worst film monster ever.

17. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    The main problem with AVP was....it's in freakin ANTARCTICA. In all of the other Alien and Predator movies, the emphasis has always been a HOT environment.
    Predator - Ana: "Only in the hottest years this happens. And this year, it grows hot."
    Predator 2 - Reporter: "As drought-ridden Los Angeles swelters in agonizing heat, drug lords wage bloody warfare in the streets."
    Alien - Brett killed in part of the engine room, right under the condensers. The only weapon aboard is a flamethrower. The last act of the movie takes place on a darkened, steam-spewing Nostromo illuminated solely by red and yellow warning lights, giving it a hellish appearance.
    Aliens - The alien hive is located right under the power plant. Frost becomes a flaming homo*. Hadley's Hope is finally destroyed when the power plant overheats and turns into a crater the size of Nebraska.
    Alien 3 - Red tinted planet. Use of burning magnesium flares as flashlights. Climax takes place at a leadworks where Ripley gives a heroic sacrifice into a giant furnace.
    Alien Resurrection - Replicated environment of Alien aboard the Auriga; steam vents, sweating characters, red and yellow flashing lights. Ends with firey re-entry into Earth's atmosphere.

Antarctica is just plain wrong for the series.

The alien life cycle is also put on fast-forward. Facehuggers pop up, chestbursters two minutes later, adult aliens another three minutes after that. They rush through it and as a result there is no tension whatsoever.

Ideally, Alien Vs. Predator would have been the movie released in 2010, starring Adrien Brody.

AVPR was nothing more than a hodgepodge of everything that had already been done.
    - Alien hybrid monster? Check.
    - Tough military Latina character? Check.
    - Doctor being attacked by an alien that pops out from behind a plastic curtain? Check.
    - Dusting off and nuking the site, just to be sure? Check.
    Nothing new, nothing original, just the first four Alien movies put through a blender, shoved up the Strause Brothers' asses, and farted out onto a reel.

*literally.
    Frost: Hey, I sure wouldn't mind getting some more of that Arcturian poontang! Remember that time?
    Spunkmeyer: Yeah, Frost, but the one that you had was a male.
    Frost: Don't matter when it's Arcturian, baby!

Then he gets set on fire.

EDIT -- And for all you nerds out there....While Kevin Peter Hall provided the body of the Predator....the voice was none other than Peter Cullen.
    Just imagine Optimus Prime gargling out "What the hell are you?"

18. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    No the problem with AVP and AVP2 is that it takes place on Earth. Nobody wants to see the Aliens on Earth,or in the present. Especially when the stakes aren't that high. IMO, a lot of the appeal to the aliens movies is that they took place in the dark corners of space, far away from this planet. It added to the mystery, it added to the illusion, and it added to the horror.

AVP should have taken place in space, far in the future, with colonial marines in a brutal war against both Aliens and Predators.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You think this is the main problem with that turd? I hope you're kidding.

20. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    The cold environment was the big thing that poisoned the movie for me. That it was set on earth, not so much given that once they were inside the pyramid, Earth doesn't really matter, and I was able to forget about the blatant Stargate ripoff.

The concept of aliens finally hitting earth had been around for 10-12 years...the original draft of Alien3 had the xenos in Europe and attacking a group of Luddite monks, which was then changed to reformed religious prisoners at Fury 161.

Watching a CGI queen alien running through the snow made me laugh and cry at the same time.

21. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i need you guys to keep your avp out of my prometheus thread. you're really mentally-challenging it up.

22. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Not quite. Just wait til Robert Rodriguez makes Predators 2 with space jockies ;)

23. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    damned ruinous!

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Alien on IFC 8 pm Michigan time.

25. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    It's highly doubtful Prometheus will inspire toys, except maybe for items made for the adult collectibles market, but let's look back when Kenner planned on making a 3 3/4-inch Alien action figure line in 1979. The only thing they ended up making was an 18-inch toy of the Alien that's a highly-prized item on the collectibles market, but these figures are a neat look at what could've been. They would've made a neat companion piece to Kenner's original Star Wars toyline.