main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ring In The New Year!! - Official Fan Fiction Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JadeSolo, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Heh, same here. My friends and I walked into the lounge to pop some popcorn, and we noticed it was on. We could have been responsible citizens and joined the students who were wathing, but we took the much more amusing route and watched Finding Nemo.

2. Artanis

Artanis Jedi Master star 2

May 10, 2005
    WyoJedi: No I have not seen that one, but it is on my list. One of my favorites is 'I was a Male War Bride'. Hilarious film.

AKA 'You Can't Sleep Here'? [face_laugh]

I didn't watch the State of the Union address...I wonder if I missed anything terribly important. :p

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Taxes are higher, IQ is lower, did I miss anything?

4. Artanis

May 10, 2005
    I think I'd take Finding Nemo over politics. :)

Taxes higher and IQ lower, hm? Doesn't sound like anything new.

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    No, that sounds about right...

Oh, and the military's at the breaking point almost.

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, that's why I'm not into politics right now.

7. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I vote, but it really does seem like the lesser of two evils when I do.

8. Artanis

May 10, 2005
    I'll vote in the next election for the first time. Not sure whether to be excited or frightened... :)

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Be excited. You're contributing to your country! I vote, but got very fed up with my ex who chewed out a poll officer for not having write-ins because he wanted to vote for himself and three dead guys.

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Wow. Your ex wasn't only scum, he was insane, too!

11. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I'll vote in the next election for the first time. Not sure whether to be excited or frightened...

I know how you feel, Artanis. Unless there's *another* election before March, I'll be old enough to vote next time, and I have very mixed feelings about it. [face_worried]

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I was like "Um, no offense, but voting for George Romney and George Washington won't get them elected," but he claimed it was better than leaving it blank."

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    *Arches eyebrow* Oh, wow. I'm speechless at that. That's just pathetic on his part. I thought my ex-stepfather was bad.

14. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    I remember when I was in Sweden on my mission that an election was held and people actually wrote in votes for Donald Duck (he even got a few percentage points worth). Now that's just nuts.

Cheers,
    Wyo

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey all!

I vote...I don't think you can complain if you didn't vote:p (unless of course you aren't old enough). I kinda feel if you hate someone so much why didn't you go vote for the other person! I did, he didn't win, but at least I tried, and I can say that when people start complaining about Bush!

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I want to scream at everyone on the phone right now. I had a drunk lady who is clinically insane and needed a product that is not able to be printed, so she spent 20 minutes screaming and swearing at me, then I got yelled at by the person she was working with, then I got on the phone to tell her that there really wasn't anything to be done and she screamed at me more. I've had eight of those calls today and am now on the phone with the elevator music from hell.

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    [:D] For Ish!

I would take the yelling over the elevator music any day! At my last job as a leasing agent for the apartment complex I lived at, I got yelled at all the time for things I had no control over. I was usually just sickingly sweet to them, and laughed at them (not where they could hear me). I found if you are really nice to them they do one of two things. They either difuse pretty quickly and then feel bad for yelling at you, or they get even more angery and start to sound like a bumbling idiot, in which case it gets REALLY funny!

18. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I voted for the first time this year (missed it the last time around). I can't really picture you being frightened all that much, unless your system of voting is radically different from ours.[face_thinking] :p

True or not, at least you people have a military.[face_frustrated]

Oh, and Artanis, there are a few good excerpts from it here.

19. Artanis

May 10, 2005
    Q_M! [:D] Thanks for the link.

Mainly I'm excited about voting. It's relieving to know that my particular vote won't ruin the government, or anything. ;) So what did you think of voting for the first time?

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I voted for the first time in a presidential election this last election , and I must say it was less than exciting.
    I had to vote by absontee ballot, and the tiny pencils they give you to do it with (and they say you must use that one)are really hard to use. It was about the same lenght and diameter as a cell phone antenna! I felt like I was a giant using a normal one.:p
    Not to mention for a lot of the smaller county/city election I had no clue who the people were,or what they stood for, even though I read up on them. I ended up calling my parents and asking them who I should vote for, concidering my dad knows many of them(being on the city board of zoneing appeals), I figured that was better than just putting any name down.

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    One of my favorites is 'I was a Male War Bride'. Hilarious film.

I loved "Florence" and her horse-hair wig! [face_laugh]

I voted for the Libertarian candidate in '04. Yep, I'm a rebel. :p The local-level elections are a lot harder, even just for state officials. It's harder to get information on them, especially when you're not even in state.

But I also voted for Obama, and I proudly stand by that. :D

22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I voted for the Libertarian candidate in '04. Yep, I'm a rebel.
    I wanted too, I really did, but I thought maybe if I voted for the lesser of two evils, it might help....I guess not.

I'm registered Liberatarian which my parents think is hillarious, because apparently 1 Democrat(my dad) + 1 Republican(my mom) = 2 Libertarians (my brother and me) :p

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I vote for people rather than party, so I've voted everything from Libertarian to Democrat depending on whether or not I agree with the principles of the candidates. I'm just like that.

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, that's gotta suck, Ish. *Hugs*

I've never been fond of the party system in the government. Makes it too much 'us against them'.

25. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Glad to help. [face_peace]

Same here. My entire privince went entirely Conservative during the election, and the riding I live in has been deemed the most politically stable in the entire country, something like 85-90% of the vote going to the Conservative Party.:)

It was a bit anticlimactic. I was given a piece of paper, I went behind a large piece of cardboard, checked off the Conservative candidate's (now incumbent's ;)) name on it, folded it back up, came out from behind the cardboard, gave it to the scrutineers, they ripped off the pull-tab, put in a cardboard box, and I left.

Ah, democracy in action![:D] :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.