main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Ring of Fire - The Final Story in Anakin's Saga - Author's final replies and goodbyes 2/23

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by geo3, Jan 18, 2005.

1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Such a sad and lovely piece - and I agree, it will make a perfect bookend for Anakin's saga.

However, to echo Organista, Brother Mine will always be a stand out favorite - note that this in no way shape or form is meant to be a detraction from ROF or PS, but a helpful insta link for those who have not read it. [face_love]

2. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    That was beautiful, geo! Your words have an almost magical way of captivating me - I lose all sense of where I am sitting, of what's going on around me. [face_hypnotized] It's unbelievable!

*sniffle* Oh my word, that was just gorgeous!

3. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    eeeek.. don't let Anakin die..

that was an awsome chapter Geo3.. just incredible.. one of your many feats of verbal magic..

4. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Rats! Late again! The week is over and I'm only now posting replies! I'm sorry...

VA_Parky Aughhhhhhhh!! Evil cliffie alert! Oh my word - I think... I think I need to lay down or something. Whew - that was some intense stuff right there!

I?m glad! That was the effect I was hoping for! [face_devil]

Oh, there was so much to love about this chapter, I don't know where to start. Anakin's teetering between darkness and light was so masterfully done, my emotions were swinging from one side to the other like a great big pendulum. You kept me on pins and needles until the last few sentences... and I'm still nervous about the outcome. Amazing!

* happy author sigh *

How fitting for V'ar to make an appearance at such a key moment. I loved that Palpatine couldn't see her - that made perfect sense given that he is like, the antithesis to what she is. V'ar has been the heart of the story and even in death, she still has an important part to play. Her final words to Anakin were just beautiful - I had to read them over and over again. They rang with poignancy and were just he reassurance Anakin needed.

I?m so glad that you found it plausible!

I love this story! You pull me right in and don't let me go. What a neat feeling! It's like the best roller coaster ride in the world but even better because I don't get all dizzy.... hee!

Thank you! [:D]

rocketscientist

well geo, it looks like you have succeeded in leaving us all speechless. You should be very proud of yourself It is almost impossible to pick something to remark on out of this post. The whole thing is remarkable!

Thanks! It is a little disconcerting to see my normally so articulate audience somewhat choked, but it?s way better than brickbats and bitter cries of deus ex machina! ? so I?ll take it! :p

Anakin's revelation comes through brilliantly! And the action is spellbinding! You struck the perfect balance of action and introspection during the fight. I for one like to see what the combatants are feeling, which you showed us superbly.

*whew! *

And Palpatine all the while goading! Very nice ? I'm so pleased that you made Palpatine such a force to be reckoned with. He didn't get where he was by being a slouch. I loved the logic you applied to the situation. Of course old Sid would never have confronted Anakin if he thought there was the slightest chance that Anakin could overpower him. You handled that beautifully!

Oh, thanks! Palpatine IS a force to be reckoned with - he should never, ever be underestimated, even by a brash young powerhouse of a Chosen One. (Oh, wait ? might that be a spoiler? ;))

He gave Anakin a taste of power and then held back - making him ask for it. That was perfect. The devil can never make you do anything, you have to want to do it.

I think this is one of the central themes of the Star Wars saga ? the idea that opening oneself to the ?dark side? is ultimately a choice.

Anakin's motivations were perfect. All powerful people want more power- they can't help it! I loved how Sid was so pleased that Anakin wanted that power in order to destroy him - making Anakin the perfect Sith apprentice. [face_awe] Your writing, you logic, your execution - wow. Just - wow.

:D I?ve been bounding up and down, waiting to get to this bit for a LOT of chapters ? ever since Palpatine reflected that he didn?t care whom Anakin hated, as long as he did hate? I?m so happy it made sense to you!

And then just when I thought - this is it - this is the fall - V'ar... thank you...

[:D]

Our Ani's no slouch either, is he?

Ani - [face_love]

You rock geo!

[face_blush] Thank you!

DarthBreezy All I can say is (for now) ....

Loved the ?Die, Palpy? animation! I played it over and over again? [face_devil]

So here we are, nine stories, four years, gobs of awards and untold amounts of readers, we are finally reaching the grand fan-ally of it all. What

5. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    Oh my! * gets all sentimental* I remember that story from when I first discovered you in the archives. I promptly did search for everything I could find that you had written. Eventually it led me to the forum itself.

It's a beautiful story geo, it transends genre and at the same tme is perfectly in character. Thanks for posting it and reminding me. Can't wait for your next post and the conclution of The Ring of Fire. But just know that it is bittersweet can't waiting. All of my favorite stories make me feel that way. I want to know what happens and how it ends yet I'm sad to see it come. The end that is. It's like the end of a visit from a wizard or perhaps the day after Christmas - or maybe like the day your best friend moves away. You're happy that you were lucky enough to have experienced it at all, and weeping that all good things must come to an end.

Bless ya - and when's the NEXT UPDATE?! [face_blush]

[face_peace]

6. DarthSilious

DarthSilious Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 4, 2006
    Well I've read all of the stories in this saga and have enjoyed them all mightily. While I'm pretty certain that I'm catching the very back end of it, can I be added to the PM update list for what updates there are for this story? [face_praying]

7. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Thanks so much to everyone who commented on ?Prodigal? ? organista, DarthBreezy, VA_Parky and rocketscientist. Your comments about that and about ?Brother Mine? and about how all these stories fit together in geo3?s version of the Star Wars universe made me realize that it?s time for a confession?

?Ring of Fire? has gone very, very AU.

I mean ? it has gone so AU that it doesn?t actually dovetail with other stories in geo 3?s story universe, even though it was originally intended to.

I sort of loosened the reins and let it have its head.

As a result the last few posts, beginning with the one below, are going to force us to take a considerable leap. For you see, instead of continuing the story ?frame by frame? and directly revealing what happened after the Battle of Nowhere, I have chosen to leap ahead nearly two decades in story time and to show instead the consequences of those events for the many and varied characters in the story. Thus the mystery of what happened in the hangar on the Victorious will eventually be revealed? but slowly.

Indirectly.

Circuitously.

* tiptoes away before anyone can start throwing things *

*sneaks back * Oops ? one or two more replies are in order?

qingauk eeeek.. don't let Anakin die? that was an awsome chapter Geo3.. just incredible.. one of your many feats of verbal magic?

Thank you, my dear! All I can say is, be brave and venture forth to the new post below?

Darth_Silious Well I've read all of the stories in this saga and have enjoyed them all mightily. While I'm pretty certain that I'm catching the very back end of it, can I be added to the PM update list for what updates there are for this story?

Can I just say how impressed I am that you have waded through this whole series? Welcome! I?m delighted you?re enjoying my tale and you are most certainly on the PM list.

OK. Without further ado, here is the next post.

*sneaks away again, seeking safety? *

Chapter 40. Day of Reckoning (Part I)

Despite the early spring chill, the smooth white heliostone of the balcony absorbed every ray of the sun?s feeble warmth, making Sabé?s favorite perch as warm and cozy as a fireside. The air was so clear and crisp that the violet mountains ringing Aldera?s high plateau seemed close enough to touch. She sighed and wriggled against the warm stone, trying to settle her shoulders more comfortably. Even the pleasantness of her perch and the stunning beauty of the familiar landscape couldn?t ease the tension that had accumulated from waiting for the other shoe to fall?

And fall it would. Or perhaps it already had. Any moment now, the backlash would come her way, in the form of ?

? ah, yes, there she was?

Quick, angry footsteps pounded the loggia beyond, coming her way. Sabé closed her eyes and turned her back to the sound, pretending she hadn?t heard what was coming while bracing herself for the onslaught.

The steps stopped abruptly at the entrance to the wide balcony. ?There you are!? the Princess of Alderaan called out. ?I want to talk to you!?

Sabé?s mouth twitched, wanting to grin, but she composed her face into an expression both serene and serious before turning to face her very irate charge.

?Hello, my love. What?s the matter??

The Princess stalked closer, fixing Sabé with a glare that once upon a time had flattened her playmates. In its adult iteration it had been known to silence emissaries from faraway star systems. Sabé was delighted to see it now. It meant that Leia hadn?t gotten her way. Bail hadn?t given in. Thank the moons and stars?

?Don?t play coy with me, Sabé Marterre,? Leia growled. ?I?m pretty sure that there is a conspiracy around here, and that you?re a big part of it!?

?Conspiracy?? Sabé asked innocently, patting the bench beside her in a friendly invitation. ?Whatever do you mean??

?Stop it, Sabé.? Leia flung herself down. ?That sort of nonsense is beneath you.?

?I don?t know what you?re talking about,? Sabé lied s

8. DarthSilious

DarthSilious Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 4, 2006
    Oooh. This story has gone off at an an interesting tangent. It actually makes it more enjoyable and fascinating truth be told even though it isn't anything like I expected.

Can't wait for the next update.

9. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    This is a great idea, and it would appear that we have gone very AU.

Not just very AU, but extremely well-executed AU.

Now, does she really mean what she implies: Anakin survived and is in the Obi-Wan role in teh desert; Leia shouldn't go to Coruscant because the Emperor would recognize who and what she is; and everything is about to change...

EDIT: BTW, I loved this:

??safe? Yes, Sabé, I?ll be very safe. As it happens, a Kalinadian trade mission is leaving Aldera for the Outer Rim tomorrow. Dormé has arranged passage for me. I will be fine.?

That, at least, was a relief. Sabé had never forgiven Dormé for marrying that Kalinadian Duke or Protector or whatever he was and breaking up their tightly knit group. But she had to admit that having a staunch personal supporter in one of the few economic and military powerhouses in the Galaxy that the Emperor actually respected ? or at least, that he had the sense to treat with a modicum of caution ? had contributed enormously to Padmé?s safety over the years.

?That?s all right, then. Nobody crosses the Kalinadians.?

?With the Death Star trawling the Galaxy, even their power and influence will come to an end.?

Why? Because you manage to do something with my Kalinadians that even I haven't quite been able to do: Give a good, succient, non-Jedi outsiders POV on them.

BRAVO!!!!

10. MoAngel

MoAngel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    I get it, I do. That I've been flown to an AU of an AU! But still, I'm sooo confused! Such an intelligent other worldly writing style will do that to you. This is not the end I hope?

Mo

11. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    ?Ring of Fire? has gone very, very AU.

Do tell? :p

I sort of loosened the reins and let it have its head.

Sometimes that's all you can do. [face_mischief]

Thus the mystery of what happened in the hangar on the Victorious will eventually be revealed? but slowly.

:eek: *GASP* <prepares to pull hair out and run screaming> AAHH - wait - what's this?

?There you are!? the Princess of Alderaan called out. ?I want to talk to you!?

Princess of Alderaan, eh? Well that means...

Sabé?s mouth twitched,

Sabé? and that means... ok - puts off screaming for a little bit.

?And yet,? Leia pointed out with steel in her voice, ?he does everything in his power to prevent me from becoming a Senator.?

Hum, I wonder why? o_O

?A man? What does he look like??

oopps! <reads furiously>

His hair and his beard are mostly white. And come to think of it, he was dressed in gray robes. He almost seemed to fade into the background, until he looked at me??

?Looked at you how?? Sabé asked, carefully hiding a sharp surge of relief.

Ah! Yeah, me too.

The mysterious Lady Starstone was a constant source of fascination to Leia ? more, Sabé knew, than anyone else the child had ever met.

?????? is it?

?Padmé Amidala.? Leia watched Sabé carefully out of the corner of her eye. ?The resemblance is remarkable.?

There was a long silence. Sabé used it to concoct a new strategy to thwart Leia?s latest line of questioning. ?I knew Padmé,? Sabé admitted at last. ?I loved her.?

?You did? ? Leia looked excited. ?And??

?She died during the Clone Wars.? Hating the lie, Sabé added some truth to it. ?Her funeral was one of the most wrenching, terrible things I?ve ever had to endure.?

Ah ha! [face_batting] but...

?I mean that the fragile balance we have achieved for the last nineteen years is about to shift. The stakes are unimaginably high. The Death Star has been completed, and will be put into service shortly.?

It is? It will? [face_worried]

Sabé had hesitated before plunging bravely ahead. ?? give him my regards.?

Is it?

Padmé?s smile had been an enigmatic masterpiece. It was exactly the kind of smile that Sabé was determined to master some day ? a composition of uncanny perfection that revealed nothing, and yet implied a world of knowledge beyond this one.

:eek: [face_frustrated] <resumes pulling at hair>

So - is he who I think he is? Or is he someone else? And who built the Death Star? And who's on Coruscant? and what's on first? or is that who?

geo, you. tricky. lady.

Can't think of a better way to get a reader to pour over every single word in the post! Have I mentioned that I love this?

I also think you are very clever to use Sabé to tell us all this. I'm so releaved that she is still alive. I wonder if she actually had to play Padmé in the funeral? No wonder it was such a harrowing experience. [face_thinking] Wow you just gave me a really twisted plot bunny! [face_mischief] See how you are? I think I may have a story for the geoverse after all... [face_skull]

Oops, where were we? Oh yeah - well, you have succeeded in making me want to simultaneously want to hug and strangle you. Coming from me you can't ask for a better reaction - unless it's running screaming. :)

I'm loving it!

I know you're going to tell us in the end - I know it. Right?

[face_worried] [face_frustrated] [:D]

@};-

12. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    So I?ve been catching up on stories all day and I finally get to this one. Thank the maker! :D

I absolutely love what you?ve done here, geo3! Absolutely astounding turn. You?ve done a remarkable thing in leaving us to sit here in wonder. What happened? Somehow Anakin resisted and got away. Somehow he found Padmé and they created a new life for themselves in the Outer Rim. Stories upon stories waiting to be told just scream out to us!

What strikes me powerfully as I sit here and read this is how, despite all that occurred, things turn out largely the same?Leia is again the adopted daughter of Bail Organa; the Emperor still rules the galaxy (a Republic, still, I noticed, vice and Empire. Interesting?[face_thinking]); the Death Star still looms over the galaxy; there are still smugglers in the Outer Rim; and?.a few rebellious souls have banded together to face down oppression and fight for freedom! In a way, it is sort of the antithesis of the notion that these demigods that are born to destiny will change the fate of billions with a single choice (I was just thinking about that discussion in Star Wars on Trial and this made me smile).

But there are differences, aren?t there? They may be subtle, but they are important. The Outer Rim is not a cesspool of villainy; Leia is not a Senator; the Jedi move in influential circles and are actively involved in the Rebellion; and, most importantly, the light from the love that is mythical in its proportions still burns brightly.

Padmé and Anakin no longer hold the fate of the galaxy in their hands. They no longer stalk the halls of power. They do their work behind the scenes. They influence in the shadows. They now live in hiding, but they do so together. They are?well...you said it best yourself:

He lived there.

In the shadows.

Watching over her son. Holding destiny in his hands.

He was her only home.

What a superb chapter!

I am amazed at how much you packed into a single post! And I know I probably missed a few things. I am really looking forward to seeing you tie all those pesky loose ends together! That said, I?m absolutely and utterly happy!! [face_love]

Thank you, my dearest Author. Thank you. @};-

13. Darth_Null

Darth_Null Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2003
    Terrific post. Just when I thought the story could not get better - BAM! - what a leap in time and AU.

"Long since freed from the oppression of the now extinct Hutt clan . . ."

It is easy to guess who did this.

Look forward to the next post.

14. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Haha, Leia's such an amusing brat. If I were Sabe, I would probably yell at her a lot sooner. Mmm, Lady Starstone, eh? What a romantic name Padme has adopted. I agree that this story has certainly gone AU and is no longer predictable... oh my. So who is this guy who holds her home? I mean, I doubt I'm allowed to think that anyone is dead, or changed... Mmm someone had better do something about that Death Star quickly, or Leia won't have too much of a home any longer. Very nice epilogue. I love how you managed to make it all work. This whole series has been a very enjoyable read.

Edit:

So I just took some time and reread your earlier fics in this trilogy. I actually didn't realize how long this series has been going until I looked at your old writing style, and everything that had been going on in Winds of Change... Wow, you really messed around with stuff! What's really interesting, is that at the end of Winds of Change, you really had us believing that Anakin was about to lose it. He killed two Jedi, was killing others with little hesitation, and had been so beautifully comforted by the Chancellor. If you wanted to follow canon and make him evil and screw over everyone else, you only really had to continue what you were doing.

But then, voila, one Padme scene, and the whole thing is reversed.

I really liked this line, from the end of WoC:

?You really don?t understand, do you? You?re part of me. You?re the best part of me. You?re the thing that keeps me going. The two of you now. As long as you?re with me, I actually do feel as though I can do anything.?

See, I find this interesting because in Lucas's interpretation, Padme's the reason why Anakin loses it, while in yours, she's the reason he doesn't lose it. Interesting, how your different views on their love affair changes the course of the story; I'm convinced that that's the reason Padme didn't die in your version: because she was successful. Why? Because of Bale, and the D'laians, elements that never appeared in canon? Or V'ar, looking out for them? Lucas built it up to be so inevitable, that Anakin was pratically evil to begin with, so there's really no saving him. But you really messed with him...

Ok, I'm done babbling about what has nothing to do with RoF. Just some random thoughts.

15. FitJedi

FitJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2006
    Wow, I am at a loss of words geo3... I don't even know what to say, i wasn't expecting that point of view what so ever. I'm amazed, I was so enthralled by the story. I can not wait to see where this goes next- I am very much intrigued to say the lease.

16. huzzah

huzzah Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2005
    Oh!

That was certainly an unexpected twist! Excellent. You've mastered the way to give your readers a warm glow of satisfaction after reading what you've posted, while leaving them still desperately wanting more.

You've turned me into a Ring of Fire junkie!

Great post, geo. I can't wait to see what happens.

17. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Well,this has me more intrigued than ever! Is the mystery man in the desert Anakin or Obi-Wan? Is Anakin perhaps now in control of the galaxy? (I hope not, but it would definitely be a shocking twist!) We do know that whatever happened in the hangar, no one really won, no matter how this turns out!

Brilliant job!

18. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    Wow!! What a treat. My two favorite AU writers universes cross meet. I thought that was quite clever and enjoyed it thoroughly . I especially enjoyed the unique approach to the conclusion and how you will go back to what happened. It definitely succeeds in maintaining the wonderfully constructed suspense and allows us the readers to just want more and more. I thought the conversation between Leia and Sabe was masterfully done. I thought both were well in character and the way you just allow bits of information to come out makes things even more intense (if that is even possible ;) ). I too like the fact that Padme survived and is a key figure within the Rebellion. Of course my curiosity about Anakin and his fate has been doubly peaked after this post so I anxious await your next installment.

As always, you've out done yourself, my friend. Very excellent work. The precision of each conversation and every vivid description are testaments to the hard work, dedication and time you put into the story. It definitely shows and I always come away thinking that I am reading a novel.

=D=

19. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Wow, geo! What a fascinating, wonderful, brilliant idea! I love the way we saw snippets of our all heroes and the ways their lives have changed since we last saw them. Just when I thought things couldn't get any crazier.... WHEW! I've gotta hand it to you, hon - you are a storytelling master.

I loved seeing Leia all grown up and wreaking havoc. She and Sabe cracked me up - I was grinning through the entire exchange, though I'm still aware of the undercurrent of danger that lurks around her. I cannot WAIT to see what you've got lined up for us. I'm so fascinated, I don't know how I'm going to stand the wait for the next post.

Beautiful job! Holy smokes - I love this story!

20. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    [face_worrying] I'm ashamed to admit that I can't recall which pivotal scene you're talking about. [face_blush]

I always thought that Anakin's meeting with Qui-Gon in Nowhere was the big, pivotal moment where Anakin began to resist the pull of the dark side. I've thought about this for some time and I can't come up with the scene you're talking about. Can you help me out? Thanks! :D

21. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Souderwan - Hehe, ok, I lied when I said i reread the entire trilogy. Just select excerpts that I really liked. Which is why I also cannot find the post that you're refering to. If you do me a linky, I'll do you one too :)

The thing that I quoted can be found here. I wouldn't really call it a pivotal scene, just a good representation of what I felt was an idea that pivoted the outcome of the story. I'm guessing that there's more than one factor that plays into this change of ending, which is why I'm interested in rereading the scene you're referring to.

I just thought it was interesting that up until the last few pages of Winds of Change, Anakin was turning so evil and messed up it was getting creepy. He killed Lon and Andros, and then started killing guards for just beiing in his way. He has a huge fight with Mace and is comforted by Palpy. Sure, a lot of that needy-ness disappears as Anakin starts to become a man, but if Palpy had revealed right then and there that he was a Sith Lord and Anakin was welcome to join, I'm not too uncertain Anakin would have said no.

Instead, he's given time to mellow, to chill with Padme a bit, and deal with the fact that she faced a death sentence. This, I feel, was Palpy's bad judgement, in condemning whom he knew Anakin had feelings for. He describes later his disappointment in Anakin's attachments, showing clearly that even he didn't anticipate Anakin to react so boldly to getting rid of Amidala. When Anakin confronts Palpy again, to defend his wife's life, he's on the opposite side (may be good or evil, but it's not the same side as Palpy) and I'm not convinced he ever crosses the line again.

Interesting, is it not?

22. organista

organista Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2005
    So,

Padme is alive - hooray!:D

She can't reveal herself to her children :_|

who are separated and don't (probably) know about each other:_|

but at least they (I assume Luke does too) know her under another name :confused:

and they know they are adopted 8-}

Sabe looks after Leia (at least one connection to Leia's origins)

and Dorme's became Kalinadian - hooray!!! [face_dancing]

Typho [face_worried] ?

Obi-Wan travels with the Allince [face_dancing]

so Luke is under whose protection? o_O [face_dancing] [face_whistling]

or should I go back to my worries (what happened when I read your intro to this post) that Brother Mine will finally fit into your saga...???? [face_worried] :eek:

*calm down my dear, calm down*

I'll stay with the option that HE-FROM-CORUSCANT is our old fellow Palpy, who suspects that Padme's children may be alive...[face_praying]

on the other hand your saga has became so AU (and I think that's why we all love it so much) that I can freely say - I know nothing till I see "THE END" inscription.

Oh, and no matter how tricky and cruel [face_frustrated] [face_devil] , I love this idea of guiding us to an end through OC's POV.=D= It makes the end a little less ultimate - if you know what I mean... :_|

@};-

23. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Just my little "lost for words at the moment" bump and to say "Happy belated 2 year anniversary ROF!! [face_dancing]

24. rocketscientist

Nov 16, 2005
    Happy two years Ring of Fire!

It feels a little weird, posting a story on someone elses thread - but geo said I could, and since she's the one who gave me the idea... it's all her fault!

So here we go, my personal contribution to the geoverse, (it isn't long ;)):

Title: Ceremony of Passing

Author: rocketscientist

Setting: Funeral of Padmé Naberrie

Characters: Captain Typho, others ;-)

Disclaimer!

A/N - The idea for this came to me after reading the latest chapter of geo3's Ring of Fire.

Ceremony of Passing

?? passing into the veil of night, the comet leaves our sight and our skies are darkened. Just so has her passing darkened our world, and we are denied her light.?

The girl ended her speech and lowered her head. The jewels of her headdress brushed her face, hiding its delicate outline. When she lifted her gaze, the painted mask of her features was composed. Regal. Well rehearsed.

So young.

Captain Typho allowed himself the smallest of sighs. They had all been young like that once.

With narrowed eyes he watched the pallbearers bring the litter down the stairs from the holy place. Under his stern glance they placed the body upon the catafalque. As the procession made ready to commence, he assumed his place ? the place of honor by her side. His heart began to beat painfully as his gaze rested a moment on her pale face.

I should never have agreed ?

Abruptly, he turned away and gave the signal to proceed. Typho set a dignified pace as the mourners fell in behind him, beginning with the young queen. All of Theed was silent. The bells had ceased to toll; even the mourner?s soft sobs subsided as they wended their way toward the royal crypt. It was as if the city held its breath.

Padmé Naberrie, Queen Amidala, Senator of Naboo was dead.

The stars were unusually bright. The contrails from the Royal Starfighter Corps? flyby salute had dissipated leaving the sky a deep, velvet blue. The distant suns glittered like jewels.

We?ve been to so many of those stars. He glanced again at the body of the young woman. If I told you that one day we would do this, would you have believed me?

He was unable to let his gaze rest in one place like the other mourners. His eyes darted about, unconsciously assessing possible threats, evaluating every angle.

Old habits die hard. I still have a charge, a duty, at least until we come to the end of this line.

And then what?

Leather clad hands fisted. Unaccountably, he wanted to remove the gauntlets and touch the unnaturally pale cheek. His skin would look very dark against hers. He kept looking for signs of breath.

He counted his steps carefully, fighting the urge to get the whole thing over with. But it was poor form to rush the last act, so he resolved to go slow, do it properly.

You are behaving like a nervous youth, Typho. Do your duty ? the child behind you is more composed than you are.

Yes, but she knows nothing,
    he thought. Nothing of his friend?s anguish, nothing of her fear.

Friend?

Yes, friend. We have always been friends. Although it was never said.

Looking at her now, like this, he regretted every argument, every disagreement.

It was your job, Typho. That?s what advisers do, they advise, they disagree.

Like a tired sigh, the procession seemed to deflate as it stopped at the base of the crypt. No one moved for many moments. Belatedly Typho realized that they were waiting for him to give the orders. At his gesture the pallbearers attached a magnetic handle to each corner of the bier. The Queen ascended the stairs followed by Typho and the ?body, then the family, and finally the dignitaries.

The hardest part, he thought as they set the bier upon the central dais ? the place of royalty.

The chapel above the crypt was softly lit, but it seemed brilliant against the darkened city. The painted child stood beside the head of the dais, as was her due.

?The Queen is dead,? she

25. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Wow.

This is an ab solutely stunning tangent. Amazing--there are so, so many questions. Who is looking after Luke? My heart is telling me Anakin. I want it to be Anakin, but I can't even begin to imagine what must have happened for this to be the way it is.

Leia is so prococious, and Sabe is taking care of her so well. I really love Padme's cool demeanor--it is so perfectly Padme, just the way I would have imagined her if she had survived RotS.

I want so much to find out what happened now! I can't believe it! I hope things can be revealed soon--you have left me perhaps even more on a cliffie than the last chapter, without really a scary cliffie at all! I can't wait for more! Loved it as always--=D=