main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rings and Sabers.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Elven_Jedi, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Hello. Sorry it's been awhile, but I used to post here. My computer has been ill for a few weeks. :(

I can't wait for TTT! I watch my poor quality trailer for it that I watch all the time. It looks so good. And I got a screening copy of FotR, very good quality. I watched it the other night; it truly is an exceptional movie. The part at the end with Sam and Frodo still makes me cry.

Is anyone else waiting for the second verison of FotR to come out before buying it? The extra footage is going to be wonderful.

2. double_bass_in_space

double_bass_in_space Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    Hi. I'm new here. Anyone heard Food Wars: The Empire Bakes Off? In it you get to hear Yoda say, "my preciousss"

I'll be a little more serious now. I actually did download a course in Elvish, but never gor very far because I'm learning Russian too.

There was a brother-sister romance in the Silmarillion. Not quite the same as Luke and Leia, but I just thought of it and thought I'd mention it.

3. Elven_Jedi

Elven_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    Stick with Elfish, Russian will got you no where. I dont know if I will wait for the second version of LOTR. I might just buy both. I am all excited aabout Ents though. I cant wait to see that gt busy on Isenguard.

4. double_bass_in_space

Jun 19, 2002
    Russian will be more useful than Elvish when I am an astromaut.

5. double_bass_in_space

Jun 19, 2002
    I mean astronaut.

6. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    You want to be an astronaut, double-bass? I'd love to as well. But I must disagree. Elvish would be more important to know. ;) Where could I get a program to learn it? It's such a beautiful, musical language.

And Elven, the ents are going to be great, though personally I can't wait to see more Legolas. He was the pleasant surprise of FOTR for me. The way he fought was just incredible.

7. Greesha

Greesha Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    The brother/sister thing in the Silmarillion was too weird. And Russian sounds like a cool language to learn.

8. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Yes, it's cool.And I also was amazed when I realized it is very musical too.Sound a bit like...italian! really!

9. Rogue-Leader

Rogue-Leader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
  10. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    I've yet to read the Silmarillion. I have and am going to read it this summer. I've heard it can be a hard, somewhat confusing read. Any thoughts?

Have you guys seen the new TTT trailer? December can't come soon enough!

11. Elven_Jedi

Mar 23, 2002
    It is kind of harder to read then your conventional novels but it is by no means less interesting. The book of lost tales is also real good.

12. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    I have to search for that book.The name sounds familiar to me but I think I have not seen it yet...

BTW, how's everyone doing?

13. eye_of_iluvatar

eye_of_iluvatar Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    There are two ways to read the Sil.; either read very carefully, and keep checking the map, glossary, and family trees to keep yourself straight, or to read it through without really paying attention to the names, get the jist of what's going on, and keep going back until you get all the details, which is what I did. However, it's probably better to do it the first way. I enjoyed doing it the second way all the same, though, so if you don't like reading detailed stuff, give it a shot!

14. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    lightnight, you should check out that National Geographic special about Tolkien and the LOTR. Finland seems to be one of the influences of Elvish. The whole show is good. Not really about the film, more about Tolkien and the book's parallels to the real world. :)

15. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    National Geographic talking about Tolkien?
    Wow! I have to find that.
    Anyways, I'm finding that the whole LOTR has some kind of paralel with the Bible ...anyone else has thought about that,or noticed something?

eye_of_iluvatar:there's a lot of attention needed to read the main Tolkien's trilogy, specially if you want to remember all the names and battles.Is there even more attention needed to read The Silmarillion?

16. eye_of_iluvatar

May 26, 2002
    I read LOTR in a similar fashion, just going back until everything made sense; the good thing about this is that you get many "Ohh! NOW I get it,"'s, so you gradually appreciate the depth that JRRT put into it. On reflection, the Sil. is probably less confusing than LOTR, with respect to names and locations. Since it starts from the beginning of time, and deals with only a very small area of ME, it probably wouldn't be hard to keep track if everybody if you read slowly and carefully, since you do have all the reference to check on. Whichever way you do, good luck, and enjoy! It's definitely my current favorite book right now.

17. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    Hey, are we alone here? :eek:

18. eye_of_iluvatar

May 26, 2002
    Guess we've been abandoned :(

Ah, well, guess they're too busy reading the fanfiction, or something...*sniff*

19. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    That National Geographic special is going to be included on the special edition DVD in November. So, you may want to wait before you but it now.

20. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
  21. eye_of_iluvatar

May 26, 2002
    I just finished reading Unfinished Tales. GREAT book, lots of expansion of previous stories (Gladden fields, the Oath or Eorl, etc.) Suggest you read the Silmarillion first though.

22. Elven_Jedi

Mar 23, 2002
    Really? I thought they tied togerther fine both ways.......mabey I should re-read.

O MY GOSH!! Has any one seen The Two Towers trailer??? I CANT WAIT ONTHER DAY!!!!!

23. Tatooine_Rose

Tatooine_Rose Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 24, 2001
    The online one doesn't have Treebeard!! :mad: Oh well. They didn't show much of him in the theatrical trailer either. But you know, they always leave the best parts out of the trailers (like Yoda vs. Dooku)!

24. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    Perhaps you're right, Tatooine_Rose.
    I can't wait to see Treebeard in action!!

BTW, I've been thinking about this and I would like to see what do you think about:

Do you remember the Argonath?In some draws done before the movie, they were raising their hand in salute.
    But in the movie, their arms were completely straight.I think the position chosen to recreate them in the movie is more suited to the books' description.

I remeber it was said that their salute was noble, but terrible at the same time, as if they were saying: stop!! Don't go ahead, or you will never return alive.Go back now you're still on time!

What do you think?

25. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Hey, what's going on? Has anyone seen preview of the new footage for FotR? :eek: It's absolutely amazing; I can't wait for November.

Additionally, I have a question. What is the proper order to read the Unfinished Tales and the Histories of Middle Earth? I was at the bookstore and couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.