main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rings and Sabers.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Elven_Jedi, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightknight

lightknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    OK, OK, I haven't red ROTK yet...!
    But we'll have a talk about this when I finish reading it! :p

2. Elven_Jedi

Elven_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    The RTK is the best out of the three. It rocks the house.

3. Rogue-Leader

Rogue-Leader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    I'm only in the middle of reading The Two Towers.

4. KongZilla

KongZilla Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2001
    It should be very interesting to see what is taken from the books for the next 2 films. Considering the way the books are divided into 2 separate stories that take place at the same time. The journey of Sam & Frodo and the adventures of Merry, Pippin, Aragorn, Gimli & Legolas. I know it's been said that PJ is going to interweave the two stories in a more linear fashion.

How many here are reading or have read the books before the films? In either case of SW or LOTR...

Of course the difference with LOTR as compared to SW is that all the books have been available for 50 some years.

5. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    I had the first and the second books already red, but I had no money to buy the third.
    At last, someone bought it to me as a gift...but I did not start to read til a lot of time later...and when I did it I realized that I had forgot part of the second book!
    So I took it and I started reading again...Now I'm finishing it.Much better this time...Tolkien is always wonderful when read a second time...

6. Elven_Jedi

Mar 23, 2002
    Ive read THe Hobbit and all three Lord Of The Rings. And now Ime reading The Book Of Lost Tails wich tells how the world was created ect. But im not going to read any of the Star Wars books that pertain to the movies untill ive seen the movies because I dont want to be expecting to see a character and then not see him *Tom Bombidal cough cough*.
    Shelob in the Two Towers is going to rock!! Has any one found pics of what she will look like??

7. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    Elven Jedi-- sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but Shelob will not be in TTT movie this Christmas. that came from Peter Jackson himself. my LOTR community are guessing that the story might end in the Stairs of Cirith Ungol or something.

recallingthat has gotten me a bit hot under the collar. i so badly wanted the movie to end like the book, its the classic cliffhangher ending. why PJ, why?!

anyway, i've read all LOTR books, The Hobbit (which is hilarious btw :D) and The Silmarillion--which is pretty good.

8. Elven_Jedi

Mar 23, 2002
    That is garbage. O mt gosh what a moron. What kind of a boob would take Shelob out of LOTR????

9. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Did I not tell you guys that already???

10. Elven_Jedi

Mar 23, 2002
    I dont thing you did. *curse curse grumble grumble*

Are they going to keep the paths of the dead??????? In RTK

11. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    from what i know they shot Paths of the Dead, and in all likelyhood it will get included. ROTK is the shortest of the books, so they should keep it all intact

...well except one: Scouring of the Shire is confirmed to be out. (PJ said so in the same interview). he said that Frodo seeing a kind of scouring in FOTR (Mirror of Galadriel) is PJ's homage to that scene, but that's it. that's why in the gift giving scene (going to be on the DVD), Sam recieves the elven rope as his gift instead, not the golden box with soil.

but take heart. Shelob is not completely out. she was just moved to the early part of ROTK. its also said that the forging of Anduril will be featured at the beginning of ROTK as well.

12. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    Shelob... there must be something I've missed with the translation...Does she have another name? Tell me how she looks, or what she is and I'll know which character are you talking about...

And, about Farngorn the Ent,which is his common name in English?

13. Elven_Jedi

Mar 23, 2002
    Shelob is the giant spider creature that has Gollum lour the Hobbits Sam and Frodo into her lair.

14. KongZilla

Mar 29, 2001
    It is a bummer that we have to wait another year and 7 months to see Shelob in all her glory. But at least she's not gone all together.

I know this is not going to happen but I have this dream that PJ actually did film all of the Old Forest and Scouring of the Shire scenes and is just waiting to bring it out for some ten hour version after all three films have been released.

Keep dreaming, I know. :D

15. Greesha

Greesha Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    Oh, so that's who Shelob is! How can they take that part out of the movie???

Sorry, but I read the books about 2 years ago and don't remember most stuff...I'm going to reread them all over the summer.

16. KongZilla

Mar 29, 2001
    No, I don't think they're taking her out of the movie. They're just stopping the movie at a different point in the book.

At least that's my understanding.

17. Jenba-Bagro

Jenba-Bagro Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Did anyone find it annoying to have Christopher Lee in both movies playing the same type of charactor. I was expecting Gandolf to bust in not Yoda. Just curious.

18. Elven_Jedi

Mar 23, 2002
    I know what you mean. O well mabey they are just makeing more room for TTT. I know a lot ofpeople that said that Tolkien should have left the Shire out in the end. I for one liked it.

Did you guys?

19. Alderaan_

Aug 14, 2001
    (Hey, I did mention the Shelob cut here ;))

The scouring was a very good way of completing the books, and showing the hobbits' legacy. But I really don't think it would be an adequate end for the movie.

20. KongZilla

Mar 29, 2001
    I completely agree. Going from Minis Tirith to the Grey Havens is the way I picture ROTK ending. I still think it would be cool if they filmed The Scouring of the Shire though and put it on the DVD or something. Just for the fans.

But like I said, I'm not holding my breath.

21. eye_of_iluvatar

eye_of_iluvatar Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    by my name, you can guess that I've read the Silamarillion as well as LOTR. For all you guys haven't finished LOTR, finish it if for no other reason to read the Silmarillion! It's my favorite book of all time, even if I was REALLY confused on my first reading. But the same thing happened with FOTR [face_blush]

Anyway, have any of you considered Aragorn as the Light Side of the force? I mean he does arise from a long period of darkness to throwdown darkness by rallying the forces of good, which is pretty much what happens in ROTJ.

BTW, how many of you guys really know what a Balrog is? In the Sil. you find out that they are actually divine spirits corrupted by Morgoth, the first Dark Lord. The only reason that Gandalf could stand against one in Moria was because he was of the same order of spirits, just a good one. How can force-users stand against Demi-gods??? I've never understood how the Balrogs that are slain in the books actually "die", since they don't really have any body to kill. Maybe they are sent to join their master, beyond the Door of Night...

22. lightknight

Feb 21, 2001
    Well, in the Bible also appears the idea of killing demons (who are spirits too);it is, like you say, to send them to the eternal Doom of the Night...but finally it talks about destroying them.So there is a death for those who have a body, and another kind of death for those who just have a spirit.

23. Greesha

Greesha Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    Guess what everyone!!! I wrote a poem in Elvin and entered it in my school's creativity contest (with English translation, of course), and I guess they thought it was pretty creative because I won!! Of course, I got half the verb conjugations wrong because I'm only up to lesson 8 or something like that and have pretty much no idea what I'm doing, but no one knew Elvin anyway.

24. Alderaan_

Aug 14, 2001
    Congratulations :D

25. Elven_Jedi

Mar 23, 2002
    Elfish rocks......are the any "vanya varde" here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.