main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph RIP David Gemmell

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by FatBurt, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Fantasy writer Gemmell dies at 57 :(

Fantasy novelist David Gemmell, best known for stories such as Legend and Waylander, has died at the age of 57.

Gemmell had heart bypass surgery two weeks ago and appeared to be making a good recovery, according to his publisher Transworld.

His career began in 1984 with Legend, a tale of a fortress under siege. He wrote 30 novels in total.

Transworld managing director Larry Finlay said Gemmell was "writing at the peak of his powers".

"He was a true pleasure to work with," he said.

"We will surely miss him, as will his thousands of devoted fans around the world. Our thoughts are with his wife Stella and his two children."

A statement from the publisher said he died on Friday morning.

The world of Fantasy literature is now missing a great author.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That's really sad :( Hopefully he's now in a better place.

3. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    i'm gutted :(

my thoughts are with his family.

@};-

4. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Excellent writer who probably ( and unfortunately ) will be more well regarded in his absence. He really was the master of revisionist mythology. How myths may have actually correalated to reality was most definetely his fortay.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's really sad. I have a few books of his but not all of them. He was still pretty young as well.

@};-R.I.P.@};-

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

His books will appreciate. Was he working on any unfinished published books? Sometimes you get other writers in to finish them off.

7. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Thats a shame, I always liked his work.

8. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Oh my! I was planning on getting into his books soon (and still will). This is sad news indeed.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    That's a pity -- for an author he died really young, considering most authors get started in onest of middle age.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I was near-devastated when I first heard about this earlier this month.

David Gemmell has been my favorite writer for several years. I used to religiously buy his books. I absolutely loved how human his characters always were.

I started getting bored with his repetitive plot lines, though (The Hawk Queen books were eseentially the same as the Rigante series, only less cool).

He's written more than half of my top ten favorite books ever, and I was eagerly looking forward to the second book in his Troy trilogy...which will most-likely be rendered into a duology now. :(

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note for David Gemmell fans in the London area (or who can be): There will be a memorial service for him on October 30 at 3pm. It will be held at St. James' Church, 197 Piccadilly. All are welcome to attend.
    You can see more information here.

It has also been announced that his wife will finish Fall of Kings, the final book in his Troy trilogy. (Details are on the page linked above).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.