main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Prince thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Jun 12, 2007.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm honestly surprised, but relieved, that Prince didn't have a document lying around ordering the destruction of the vault upon the event of his death. He was very protective of his work. It's strange that it has been left to, so far, the open world to dissect and distribute.

3. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Are we sure there's been some good will hunting?

Okay I'll stop now.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Yo, Willing and Able.

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Ummm... this is one historical concert - the live debut of most of Purple Rain (including the original live take, as seen annotated on the internet on and off for a few years)

7. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    A killer setlist.

Right now the main focus is on Purple Rain, with stories about how it was conceived and questions from newcomers if there are any "lost" tracks from that period. (They need to hear "Erotic City": one of his best B-sides.) It's natural that the people who are new to his discography flock to Purple Rain, but I hope they'll dive deeper than that. I read somewhere that Sign O' The Times was his last "classic" album, but that is poppycock; although, that said, I do notice that Batman and Love Symbol are slowly, rightfully in my eyes, achieving "underrated" status--which means, obviously, they are no longer underrated. I think Graffiti Bridge, hurt by the flop film that accompanied it, probably will be re-appreciated too eventually: "New Power Generation", "The Question Of U", "Joy In Repetition", "Graffiti Bridge", all great songs. So many great songs actually that never make the Greatest Hits/Essential/Ultimate/Definitive collections: "Glam Slam", "Let's Pretend We're Married", "Paisley Park", "Under The Cherry Moon", "Gold", et cetera. I mean it might sometimes snow in April but I hope they don't get snowed under.

Oh wait, the focus isn't on any of that--it's on how much his estate is worth, how he died, if he had AIDS, if he took drugs and what drugs he took and since when and why. My bad.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So at bar trivia on Tuesday, Purple Rain gets played, and literally anyone with a lighter takes it out and flashes it above their heads. It was really moving.

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    People still smoke?

10. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    80% of Portland does.

11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    scan scan scan NO LOVESEXY?!?!

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Maybe that was his plan? Maybe he figured "let the fans figure it out. I'll be gone so they can make of it what they will."?

SuperWatto that is criminal.

13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    [​IMG] No

ShaneP likes this.
  14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

lol

15. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I don't know what to make of your posts.

16. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    That the album Lovesexy is fantastic, and its best song is "Eye No"

17. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Well, great that you like it. So do I.

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The whole album is one big track.

[​IMG]

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

None of us do. :p

Seriously though, Prince was always so unpredictable too. Lovesexy's structure was one example.

20. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I've been listening to his Batman and Musicology records. Front to back.

His arrangements are amazing. So many great melodies and hooks, yet often used so sparingly and subtly. A few ingenius musical lines are played one time only! Prince's loss is devastating to the music community.

Jedi Merkurian and Pensivia like this.
  21. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I personally think 3121 is his best latter day album.

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Kevin Smith talks about meeting Prince and shooting a making of documentary.

Warning: This is Kevin Smith so it contains foul language.

SuperWatto and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  24. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    This is why i'm glad the leaks on YouTube are happening. The obscure stuff is really starting to come out. Never heard this before:

SuperWatto and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  25. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    That is why so many fans lost track of Prince. He'd release an album a year, and some were only available for a short time, online, or via a newspaper, or whatever. It became a frustrating chase. I'm not sure if he simply wanted it that way--his way--or if he was just as frustrated, trying to release his stuff without having to utilize the regular channels. My uncle, still a huge fan, would tell me about a new album and I'd wonder, Is it this year's new one or last year's new one, or a new one yet again? Artists should beware of releasing too much. (And still everybody keeps talking about that vault.)

I do think at one point he stopped caring. The NPG Music Club releases looked terrible, like stuff you printed out in the 1990s. The intention behind it all was interesting (different, Princian), but the execution was lacklustre, as if he didn't want to commit. He needed the freedom to fly off into another direction on a moment's whim.

Has anyone noticed yet how often the number "7" appears throughout Prince's life and work? Aside from the obvious, like the song "7", there's 3121 (=7), he was born June 7, died 4/21 (=7), NPG membership was $7.77, and so on. It probably doesn't mean anything (unless you see it), but you always have to watch out with that kind of stuff. You curse yourself.