main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Prince thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Jun 12, 2007.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Sadly, yes.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I know this is a nitpick, but... Portland is the 10th most smoke free city in the country, according to the site linked at the bottom. 86.5 percent of Portlanders are non smokers. That article is from 2008 so, as smoking is on the decline in the US, I assume today it's an even higher percent.

http://health.usnews.com/health-new...mokiest-us-cities--and-10-most-smoke-free-too

3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm talking about pot.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Then it's probably the exact opposite of the cigarette smoker study. Those 85% of non tobacco users have probably gone from one carcinogenic smoke to another. Like a constant Grateful Dead concert.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    In that case, it's even lower. According to the Oregonian in January, 10% of Oregonians use pot.

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm pretty sure it's higher than 10%.

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I just realized something cool: real life imitating art.

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    :eek:

That's some Louis Farrakhan level numerology right there.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    4/21 (=7)

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    He's adding, not dividing.

jp-30 likes this.
  11. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Carcinogens in tobacco smoke are amplified by the nicotine, and THC in marijuana smoke greatly reduces them. Marijuana smoke will ALWAYS be less dangerous than tobacco smoke, but people should still just vape shatter or stick to edibles.

12. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    The reason I mentioned numerology it in this thread, regarding Prince, is that I suspect he was super-superstitious. That's probably why he didn't draw up a will: that would have been like inviting death. Just my guess, though. Religious beliefs may have come into play too.

As it goes with superstition however, it starts off small; but then these small beliefs can grow into compulsive rituals. Once John Lennon became aware of the significance of the number 9 in his life for example, he became a little obsessive with it: certain events had to be planned on the 9th, he'd hire staff based on all sorts of numerological constructions built up around the number 9, et cetera--and inevitably, the number that at first seems significant actually becomes significant. The snake bites its own tail.

It's like when a pregnant woman mentions that everyone around her suddenly seems to be pregnant. It's because her mind is drawn towards that: pregnancy. So she sees it everywhere. Similarly, when you get the thought into your head that a certain letter or number is significant to you, you'll see it everywhere. Right? I could now randomly say the letter "M" is meaningful to you--and you can bet you'll be able to connect that letter to tons of experiences, people, events, addresses, et cetera, in your life. You could start to believe there's a secret system behind everything, and that the letter "M" is of great importance to you when it concerns your part in that system. It's trickery basically, but effective trickery.

People who lead isolated--lonely--lives are especially susceptible to stuff like this, for obvious reasons.

As for me, I have an eye for such wacky numerological weirdness because I have a playful spirit and a sense of the absurd--and I like pseudoscience--but I attach zero importance to it. I acknowledge it the way I acknowledge the Pope exists, without believing in God.

13. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    WB will be rereleasing Prince records on vinyl starting next month. Approximately one record per month.
    This project was in the works before he passed away.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    That makes me wonder how many vinyl discs will be used for Emancipation. Somewhere between six and eight?

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  15. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Ha. I get your point, but it's only going to be selected records.
    I think Around the World in a Day is first.

16. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Oh. I took your post as a complete vinyl reissue of his entire catalogue released to date. Much like Warner Brothers are doing with Metallica's work.

17. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    That would be great, but I don't think that is the plan.
    At least not yet.

18. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm sure it's on the drawing board...along with an entire strategy that they no doubt want to span over the next twenty years.

By analogy...

19. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Lol. That's a relatively safe assumption.

20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Which thread is the Prince thread, and why do I have to rip it?

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Would be nice if they remastered and rereleased his albums on CD as well.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It's like 100 times as potent as morphine and something like 40 times more potent than heroine. That tends to be a figure concerning a prescription strength. It is hundreds of times more potent than heroine as a street drug. The possible side effects are numerous.

24. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Then factor in his physical size...it's really a wonder he performed to regularly in his final days. Two shows per day!

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Radio today said he weighed 112 pounds. I have no idea what his normal was was though.