main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RIP to the original fan artist... :(

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CaptainHamYoyo, Mar 3, 2012.

1. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Ok, so he wasn't exactly making fan art, but Ralph McQuarrie was an inspiration to us all. He took a young director's crazy dream, and painted it to life. He created the look of Star Wars, and now the galaxy far, far away(as well as this one) has grown a little darker without his paints to give it light.

Here's to you Master McQuarrie. If it wasn't for you, I'd probably be drawing something boring, like a plant on a table, or something.

2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    It is a sad loss. His imagination has touched and inspired so many people and across a few generations. I have The Illustrated Star Wars Universe book and I remember exploring his paintings and imagining being transported to locations like Coruscant/Imperial Centre and Alderaan.

Ralph McQuarrie's influences are still with us. His designs are continued to be referenced and felt in Star Wars with The Clone Wars series and we might get to see more with future productions. There are great people like Paul Bateman that preserves his works for all to enjoy. His legacy will continue to live on.

3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    That is nice that we have a memorial in here!

@};-

He was indeed talented and his work was breathtaking.

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great to have a memorial for him

@};-

He inspired me to expand my world

5. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I have a challenge for my fellow fan artists...

Since we all owe so much to Mr. McQuarrie, I propose we all draw something to honor him. Whether it's a drawing of him, or taking his production paintings and adding your own twist to it, or using his character designs in your art...whatever you want.

If you choose to accept this challenge, please post your art here on this thread. There's no deadline, I know we're all busy. I just figured it'd be a nice way to pay tribute to the man, in the best way we know how, using the medium he's best known for.

6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I'm glad there is this tribute thread, sad to need one. I bought each book of his drawings upon release; his take on the universe that Lucas created made the entire story glow. Goodbye, Ralph.

7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Ralph was a great artist, with a distinctive style that I liked a lot. May the Force be with you, Ralph.

As for the challenge, it sounds like a nice idea. Thankfully, there's no deadline, as I can't commit to anything right now. Still busy wrangling Darth Real Life.