main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rise to the Next Level- Heroes (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jek_Windu, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't care for him. I loved Peter before he became a whiney baby. I like Silar. But now they've just made a new character who has the same powers, except deadlier.

2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    They killed off Adam :_|!

3. Lord_Lahmien

Lord_Lahmien Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2008
    And he died awesomely.

Peter and Sylar's similarity in powers makes more sense now that you can see the source. I am not sure why he needs the others or ever needed anyone else for that matter since he can just take what he wants and does not seem to care about killing people to get it.

4. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I'm not sure how I feel about Peter's powers being reset. It does explain the scar for future Peter but I liked that he was a repository for so many powers. I wonder if the base, fundamental power to absorb powers remains with him or whether his father took that baseline from him too. I imagine Peter lost everything or else he could immediately reabsorb the powers and be more powerful than ever before.

Also, Adam's death was excellent. Sad to see Sark die but whatever.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, Adam's death was a shocker and almost justifies unburying him and ruining Season Two's best moment. i wonder if his powers would allow him to survive that though?

6. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I don't think that Adam could have survived it. We know that Clare/Peter/Sylar can be 'killed' by damaging the brain, so I think that complete disintegration would prevent anyone from being able to revive themselves.

As to Peter's powers, it might be something similar to what we saw with Sylar. He still has the potential for all of them despite losing his abilities, and thus will regain all of it when he eventually is healed (my money is on Sylar being the one to do that).

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Um, his powers won't allow him to survive, because he doesn't have his powers. Petrelli didn't disintegrate him, he stole his healing factor. When that was taken away, his body aged its hundreds of years all at once. Unless you're asking whether, if Petrelli can reverse his powers, the healing factor will reanimate that dust?

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, I think I just didn't get the connection between him disintegrating Adam and him stealing Peter's powers. I thought he did something to Adam, not take something []away[/i], which was my mistake.

9. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I'm not sure what to believe about the true cause of Adam's death. I've heard theories from other fans that it was the result of his regeneration power being stolen and that caused his body to "catch up" and age centuries in a moment, and I've also heard fan theories that the disintegration was a separate power Arthur Petrelli used on Adam after stealing his regen power. Right now I think I'm going with the separate disintegration power idea. If Adam lost his heal/regen ability only with no other weirdness tacked on, I think he would simply proceed from that moment as an injure-able, regular aging person. Any damaged cells could no longer heal or regenerate on their own, and the constant cell refreshing (if that's an acceptable way to view "stop aging") would turn off, allowing him to age. I don't think his body realized it was centuries old as if it was in its own little time bubble that burst. But I've been wrong lots of times before on this show, and I'm looking forward to seeing if it's explained further. :)

My favorite lines of the season so far:
    "I'm being awesome!" -Ando
    and "High five, Turtle!" -Matt
    [face_laugh]

-Thumper

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I thought it was like Rogue with Wolverine, only he sucked Adam dry. All Adam's old wounds returned and because he held on, Adam turned to dust.

11. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    . . . .

Is anybody else starting to feel a bit confused by the current season?

12. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    That was actually pretty epic, despite being mostly flashbacks.

"I understand you've been dreaming about me." [face_laugh]

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That was one of the better episodes they've have in a very long time- the ending was a great cliffhanger too.

14. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I just hope Hiro doesn't lose his powers. It's bad enough Peter's lost his.

15. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    This is where Heroes writing annoys me. Didn't they solve that little issue last season when Claire and Adam were revealed to have the magical healing blood? Sylar got his powers back, the Haitan, etc.

So a little blood from Claire and Peter should be able to start aborbing powers again. I assume that is how he will end up defeating his father. And I assume that is what will be done with Hiro if he did lose his abilities. I hope he didn't, else he's pretty much stranded. [face_laugh]

16. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Going on what Arthur said (not leaving a trace of the power behind), that can't be the case. Arthur's ability, for lack of a better term, removes their X-Gene. When people lost their powers last season it was just repressed, like how ones sense of smell is repressed when they have a cold. Claire's blood couldn't get Peter his ability back because there's nothing there to heal. If the writers do go that route I will be majorly peeved.

17. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    But Peter's ability can be re-booted by an injection of the completed formula.

18. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Does it though? I am not clear on how his ability works and they seem to keep things intentionally vague in case they write themselves into a corner. But if Linderman was able to heal the suppression of Angela's memories, could the same not be done for other talents of Arthur's? Perhaps not but I am willing to bet that the talents aren't necesarily gone, as one by one people will be wiped of their abilities. I hope this won't be a "No More Mutants"/M-Day thing.

Using your analogy, not everyone with the X-Gene is necesarily a mutant, some are simply carriers. My understanding is that what makes them mutants is the activation of that genetic sequence, the manifestation of whatever abilities their DNA permits. But even when those talents are removed, is that Gene now gone or simply dormant? I tend to think the latter.

Within Heroes it may not be a simple matter of healing someone with blood. Previously the loss of abilities was due to a virus that dampened one's special talents to nothing, but when the healing blood of Claire or Adam was used that virus went away and the talents returned. That may not necesarily be the cure necessary to fix what happens when Arthur "removes" your talents.

However there seems to be some kind of formula that grants people that don't have talents with abilities. I doubt that it infuses them with the Heroes equivalent of the X-Gene, but rather awakens the dormant gene inherent in everyone. To me that suggests that everyone or at least most people seems to have this same gene but not everyone manifests.

So if such a formula exists that can awaken dormant potential in those that haven't manifested, is it at all possible that the same formula could be used to reinvigorate the talents of those who have manifested but their genetic potential was "turned off." Meaning some people could have their talents returned. Obviously not Adam. :p But others could I suppose. In the case of Peter I would guess that it would simply reactivate his sponge like talents to absorb the talents of others, but not reactivate those that he had already borrowed before, thus providing a blank slate.

Then again I could be way off. I guess I am just theorizing out loud. :p

19. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Am I the only one who thinks that this week's episode was really terrible?

It was full of retcons and timeline violations (Sylar was already a force to be reckoned with and a classified name with the FBI by the time Suresh was driving his father's cab; Nathan was barely DA by the time the episode ended, yet his run for Senate should have been well underway; etc), and for a season subtitled Villains, it sure is creating a lot of moral ambiguity with a LOT of the characters. Linderman was a little bitch the entire episode, and Mrs. Petrelli attempted to murder Mr. Petrelli -- and yet they decided to follow through on his plan ANYWAY? Linderman, Mister .07%, had qualms about killing ONE GUY for the greater good? And why were they trying to kill him when according to previous seasons, they had been planning his whole life, including his Senate run and Peter's explosion, for decades?

Early on the show really felt like it had a long-term plan, but now it feels like it has no idea where it's going anymore.

20. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Was I the only one who thought the fire effects in the convenience store were pretty poorly done??

21. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    These comments typify my thoughts as well. I kept wondering whether the background stories synced with what happened in the first episode. I have a really hard time buying the retconning and I thought it was a really poor decision by the producers/writers to try to fit everything together.

I thought that at the time Sylar and Elle were flirting, Sylar should have been hunting Molly Walker's family, right? Problems, problems.

22. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    In the case of Linderman, I'm not sure Arthur was the one with the plan for NYC. Angela once remarked that many had input on that plan. Also, keep in mind in just a year that Isaac had already started painting the end of the world. And a certain President Petrelli. Perhaps Linderman had already seen the pictures and knew he couldn't kill Nathan if this plan was to succeed. A better question is why didn't Arthur just influence Nathan like he did to Angela?

I suspect what we already know about Arthur's disappointment with Nathan's lack of powers made him the bigger blacksheep than Peter. He might have been embarrassed by Nurse Peter, but at least he knew Peter had a big ability (as Angela told him so). But Nathan had already gone as far as possible. Perhaps he was expendable. A way to get rid of that blemish in the Petrelli line. I didn't detect a huge dilemma for Arthur when it came to deciding Nathan had to die. So, when Linderman couldn't reason with him, he went to Angela. It's pretty clear Linderman feared Arthur. But Angela was close to him, he'd never suspect her after he made her so docile. A perfect way to get rid of Arthur.

23. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I took it that the storylines weren't running at the same time...

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The Petrelli family storyline was "18 months ago". Everything else was "1 year ago". But even that doesn't solve the continuity glitches involving Sylar. And while it's interesting that HRG was basically responsible for releasing Sylar into the world, he has never once shown an ounce of remorse for the danger he's put his family in because of that. And why didn't Elle and Sylar recognize each other in Season 2? And why the HELL did Eric Roberts let Claire's mom go? I'm still confused by that.

25. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    But it's not really that Noah was responsible per se. Sylar had already made his first kills, including Chandra Suresh before being hit with remorse and possibly trying to find some control over his hunger, but was impeded by Noah and Elle's intervention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.