Rise to the Next Level- Heroes (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jek_Windu, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    I don't know. What I do know is that this volume has been lackluster at best.
  2. Lord_Lahmien Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes. No way they would leave both Peter and Hiro powerless especially after killing off Arthur. I am still a bit confused on Nathan's sudden fall to the dark... change of heart and does anyont else think and platoon of post-war marines are the best test group?
  3. R_Zion Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe this has something to do with the one episode I missed, but is Papatrelli supposed to already have time/space powers before he takes them from Hiro? It's the only thing I can think of that explains how he keeps cropping up at just the right time behind Hiro to do his evil mojo, even 16 years into the past. I'd like to know from whom he seemingly got these from, if so, since Hiro's been the only Time/Space manipulator that we've seen thus far...
  4. CaptainBinaca Force Ghost

star 3
    He may have gotten that ability from Peter when he took his powers. He got quite a bit from Peter
  5. Mustafar_66 Force Ghost

star 5
    Arthur got all of the powers Peter had when he took his powers. Hence why he had Elle's electric ability.

Something I was wondering. If Sylar doesn't need to kill people to get their powers anymore, does he just take their powers like he did with Elle's and then kill then for ****s and giggles or does he get their powers the old fashioned way?

Either way, the last two episodes have sucked so bad.
  6. R_Zion Force Ghost

star 4
    D'oh! I completely forgot about Peter. Blasted Petrellis and their catalogue of powers...
  7. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Lionel Luthor is Sylar's Dad!

To restore the super to Heroes, the show is going -- but of course -- to Smallville! Sources confirm to me exclusively that the struggling NBC drama has tapped John Glover, a.k.a. Lex Luthor's dad, Lionel, to play Sylar's father. "When Sylar meets his father, he's going to see a path ahead of him that he doesn't want to take," reveals a Heroes insider. "He has a lot more in common with his father than he realized." The Tony award winner, who recently booked an arc on Brothers & Sisters as a love interest for Ron Rifkin's Saul, will turn up towards the end of Heroes' forthcoming "Fugitives" chapter.
  8. Lord_Lahmien Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think Sylar lost the ability to take powers empathically when he turned back into the old evil version, thus him needing to take Elle's powers again my force.
  9. Mustafar_66 Force Ghost

star 5
    That'd be the most ridiculous get out I'd have seen a TV show pull.
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    John Glover? Sylar's father is the Devil? That's all kinds of perfect awesome.
  11. RedHanded_Jill Jedi Master

star 4
    He was awesome in Brimstone. He is just awesome in anything. He is probably the nicest guy in real life. I never liked sylar as a hero. but if he becomes the villain again peter needs his powers back. plus a pair. if he gets them back does he get sylar's too? can he control it?
  12. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    No, it wouldn't be that. To take powers empathically would require Sylar to 'get' the person in question. Too long, too hard, just take what you need instead.
  13. Lord_Lahmien Jedi Knight

star 1
    Anyone else dissappointed in last night's 'finale'? Other than Sylar's awesomeness in killing the bad guys (especially the puppetmaster guy) that HRG released, the episode was not worth the wait. And Nathan becoming a prick like Arthur was so unbelievable. As a side note Lt. Commadner Worf = Awesome President, hope I can stomach another season.

P.S. Please kill Suresh and ALL of Ali Larter's characters, no one cares.
  14. CaptainBinaca Force Ghost

star 3
    I'm running out of patience waiting for this show to pull itself out of the toilet. Why didn't Claire's mom use her ability against Sylar? Why didn't Suresh defend himself against Fire-Redneck-Guy? Isn't he a lot stronger? What happened to the Haitian? He went after Sylar after Arthur's death and then...what? He vanished into Caitlin-Land? And speaking of Caitlin, when are we going to find out what happened to her? I have never see show with less respect for it's own plotlines. And why would they introduce that Marine Corps character, give him a sad little backstory and then kill him in such a callous way?
    I'm reading encouraging things about Volume 4 but this show has its work cut out for it.
  15. LordRevan19 Force Ghost

star 4
    They introduced the marine character becuase it proved Nathans point, if there were soldiers with powers it would turn the tide in battles. The marine would of been able to save his friend. Im not upset at all with this volume. Yeah the finale could of been more climatic but the overall story that was started in Villians will be concluded in Fugitives. I liked the preview for Fugitives, it reminded me of the "Mutant registration act in the Marvel comic books. Oh, Claires mom didn't use her ability because there was probably no point, she knew he was stronger than her.

Good Stuff
  16. Lord_Lahmien Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm not sure if that particular Marine would have tunred the tide of any battles he was rather worthless. I am also not convinced that Claire's bio-mom is dead, her brother haphazardly mentions the fact that he cannot be burned and since they have basically the same power it would not be a strecth for her to survive. Peter got his ablility back but they left Hiro surprisingly powerless (for now) and Ando got completely screwed. Do we see a HRG/Nathan hook-up in chapter 5, HRG is the best at catching people with abilities he could easily head Nathan's new department until Nathan tries to lock Claire up that is. I may ride or die with Chapter 5 but Febuary 2nd is a long way off, hopefully something new does not steal me away.
  17. LordRevan19 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well him alone no, if you read in my first post I said "If there were soldiers with powers it would turn the tide in battles." I didnt say one soldier would. Yeah I agree, I don't think she is dead either. It would defeat the purpose of haveing the power to make fire if you can get burned by it. How did Ando get screwed? He helped save Hiro, that was why injected himself with the formula in the first place.

Good stuff
  18. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    The way the show was callously killing off characters last night, I half expected Hiro's plan to destroy the formula in the past to work. That would have effectively erased this season, restoring dead characters to life, restoring powers to the de-powered characters, and nullifying Sylar's temporary rehabilitation. I'm glad they didn't though. Saying an entire season "didn't happen" never sits well with fans.
  19. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 5
    Please. In Volume 4 Episode 1, in the first 5 minutes: Pull a 24 and kill both of them. No one will miss them. At all.
  20. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 5
    If Quesada were writing that episode it very well could have happened. [face_plain]

And Noah makes a much better Rebel. I could see him heading a resistance and finding ways to rescue the heroes. He's the Jack Bauer of this show (and pretty much the sole reason I watch at the moment :p )
  21. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I kind of like what Ando's powers turned out to be. It indicates that what Hiro saw happening in the future, which he believed was Ando killing him, was probably something else entirely.

I thought that last night's episode was actually one of the best-directed of the season, maybe of the series. I even thought that some of the writing, if this episode is taken in isolation, was quite good.

But in the context of the whole series, and especially this season, this was a culmination of a lot of bad writing, bad continuity, and awful character work. I do not buy Nathan's turn, at all. I didn't buy the fear-powered guy's turn, either. And I wish, like everyone else, that the Ali Larter characters would just go away.
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, Bryan Fuller is now back on the show (his first will be the 19th episode), and has been saying the first three episodes (the next three to air) of the Fugutives volume are "amazing", so hopefully we're about to see a solid direction for the show now.
  23. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Don't big shows like this have a "series bible" to cleave to if they start to lose their way? Where's that been the last season and a half? Seems like one contrivance after another.

Though I was relieved that Sylar wasn't really a Petrelli.
  24. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think they went off track from any series bible once Season 2's initial reception was so negative. Combined with the writer's strike, i think they've been shooting from the hip trying to change course from what people weren't liking and now are at the point where they pretty much need to take a new planned direction with only the broader strokes retained.
  25. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Force Ghost

star 7
    Here's something that's been bothering me for some time: The computer generated fire, it looks bad (as I understand it, elements like fire and water are really hard to animate). The blue fire looks cool, but Claire's mom's fire looks so fake. There was a shot in either this episode or the episode before where a character was shown in a medium closeup with flames at the bottom of the frame - that were obviously fake.

Yet, LOTR, a multi-million dollar movie, solved the fire (In the faramir cremation scene) by just building a real fire and then reflecting it over the action with mirrors.

There are several instances where this technique could have been done in Heroes, yet they opted for CGI. Obviously, I'm not saying the scenes where a character is shooting flames out of their hands should be real, but there are instances where it could have been done simply like that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.