main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rise to the Next Level- Heroes (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jek_Windu, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm not sure how I feel about Matt. On the one hand I admire him for trying to make things right, but there's something about the invasion of privacy that disturbs me. He is, to a certain extent, manipulating her.

It's official, I love this show. I enjoy watching every second now, even the Nikki bits, and that's quite a stone's throw away from the usual experience with Lost - that I like on a sadomachistic level.

2. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I do like the "Sylar is Claire's father" theory, but wasn't the shadowy figure in one of the future paintings what kills Claire Sylar?

Why would Sylar kill his own daughter?

But I must say that I haven't actually seen the show, it hasn't come over to England yet. I have read a lot about it though.

I must say that I too had a bit of a geek out when I heard about Sean Bean, stupid IMDB misleading people.

I just really hope they get someone good to play Sylar, whoever it is.

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    He could be using his abilities for worse reasons:p, like being awesome at poker or any other gambling games that involve cards, or he could become a super ladies man. If I had his ability, that's what i'd do, when i'm not serving the greater good.:)

4. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Matt is not manipulating his wife. What's the difference if he reads her mind or they go see a marriage counselor? It's all about finding out what the other person wants from a relationship. What can make you/your partner happy. I do expect Matt to find out his wife had an affair. Either recently or in the past. :(

5. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    That already happened in the last episode.

6. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Ah, but it's not merely finding out what the other person wants but using that knowledge for personal gain, and here's the key, them being unaware of it. There's none of that consent explicit in vocalising a desire or need. Think of Bill Murray's character in Groundhog Day when he uses what he learns about people in one day to exploit them in the next. It's not really any different here.

His wife is oblivious of his ability to read her mind. She thinks he's just become a better person, or more in touch with his feelings, or more connected to her as a husband, but it's based on a misleading assumption that he is being honest with her.

7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    True. Good points..

8. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Yes i would say those points are quite valid.

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    His wife is oblivious of his ability to read her mind. She thinks he's just become a better person, or more in touch with his feelings, or more connected to her as a husband, but it's based on a misleading assumption that he is being honest with her.

Honesty goes both ways. How honest has she been in the relationship if she's been screwing a partner or friend of his? o_O

We all want/need attention, doesn't mean we should be going to find it.

While it can be considered manipulation to a degree, but the differnce in (like Groundhog Day) when one uses that info to change oneself or the people around you. Murray tried to change those around him first, later he himself was changed by the experience.

Matt was trying to change himself IMHO.

10. shiningstars

shiningstars Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2002
    I agree and also in Groundhog Day, Murray was in control of what he could do while until now Matt's power is passive, so it's not like he can stop himself from listening! He might as well make use of it :p Although I agree he should have told her he had telepathy, but he was going to (in the last episode?) but then he heard her and changed his mind!

And oooo I found many SPOILERS!
    Here I'll paste some [face_devil]

The eclipse is not what triggered everyone?s superpowers. Nor was Mohinder?s dad necessarily right about it all being due to genetics. In the coming weeks, we?ll start to see other theories emerge about what?s triggering these abilities in people all over the world - theories that have little to nothing to do with evolution. So Dr. Suresh may have been right about the effect, but not necessarily the cause. Were they the victims of secret government experiments? Or tampering from the future a la The 4400? Or something else?

Claire?s dad isn?t the bad guy, here, though he was set up as such. Not saying he?s nice, either, but he?s not hellbent on destruction of the heroes, he really does love Claire, and he?s not the reason New York becomes a crater in five weeks (if Hiro?s vision comes to pass). Think Stryker from The X-Men here. He doesn?t always do nice things, but he isn?t doing it to hurt people, least of all Claire.

We will see Future!Hiro as an intermittent recurring character, though his actual existence is in the ?distant future? (whatever that means).

You can read the rest here

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Interesting..

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    glad to hear that about Claire's dad :)

13. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    yeah..I guess my thought on thatwas right afterall.

It would be cool if Nikki and Jessica merged to become one persona.
    And on Claire's friend, i'm not all that suprised.

14. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Interesting indeed, but no real surprises there.

Almost disappointed that they explain Jesscia's killing of DL's crew so seemlessly.

15. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    It was one of the GNs on NBC's site a couple of weeks ago.

They're pretty good if you haven't been checking them out ;)

16. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I hadn't been, but will make an effort to now.

Yay, it's Monday!! :D :D :p

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    QFT..:D

18. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I'm really starting to like the mind-reading cop, he seems pretty genuine.

19. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    ^
    I think that he is a good person.

I'm wondering how far back in time did Hiro go, since he was in the the birthday picture with the cute lady from the restaurant.

20. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Does anyone have a link or know where one can be found of the preview next week. I didn't get to see it but all the message boards are talking about how good next week is going to be, and after seeing tonite episode I tend to agree

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i can't wait to watch this episode. i too am starting to like the cop. he's starting to be my favorite character

22. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    NBC will have the preview. Probably not today but maybe tommorow.

So stuff is starting to come together.

Guess I was wrong about HRG being Sylar. Things are getting a bit clearer on what HRG is doing though, amplifying powers in some way. Still, here is more going on there. Wonder what makes him the "hard way" [face_thinking]

My DVR cut off the last few minutes again. :(

What happens right after Ando steps up from the table in the diner?

23. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Wonder what makes him the "hard way"

The hard way is HRG tying Issac down and injecting him, not any kind of power/ability.

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Not much happens at the end. It zooms in on the picture of the waitress's birthday and this time Hiro is there with her.

HRG seems to be helping people control their powers, a la Prof. X.

25. BAR_BAR_DRINKS

BAR_BAR_DRINKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    i wasright!
    can i get a whoop whoop!
    clair's dad is a good guy tracking the HEROES!

um, whered hiro go? or rather "WHEN"?

too bad vincent cant paint without the 'junk'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.