main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Rise Up To The "Identity Politics" Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DANNASUK, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Identity Politics A Good Thing?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. Don't Know

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    A lovely controversial topic to get us in the mood..

Q: Is 'identity politics' supportive or harmful to the promotion of equality in society?

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh, look, the Internet's favorite topic!

I'm going to be watching this thread like a hawk. Be an ass = say goodbye to the forums for at least one week.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, what do you think of it? It would be interesting in hearing your perspective on it since you created the topic.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Bacon164, Point Given and FatBurt like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In order to promote equality in society, it is important to recognize the unequal experiences that women, people of color and LGBTQ people have had, as opposed to pretending that we are in some post-sexist post-homophobic post-racist society.

So yes, identity politics is important to support equality in society and will be until life experiences are never different for women than men, people of color than white people, or LGBTQ people than straight people.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The problem isn't "identity politics." It's liberals thinking that's all there is and ignoring broad economic justice and failing to connect them.

3sm1r, WriterMan, Abadacus and 11 others like this.
  6. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it is misunderstood; it can be beneficial, but as @Darth Guy said - some can take it too far. In the UK, it is very much a fringe topic (from what I can tell).

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Prior to Trump getting elected, I would've said no (or at least keep it toned down to a certain extent), since it looked like the country was going in the right direction anyway. Now that we have a racist, homophobic bastard for a president, I've changed my mind.

WriterMan and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Since they are so connected, I’m always surprised that anyone separates them. Sexism, racism and homophobia contribute to a higher level of poverty among women, POC and LGBTQ people.

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I voted "I don't know". I see it as a mixed blessing. A blessing benefiting and recognizing marginalized and oppressed groups and empowering them unlike before, but also a consequence that it militates against a solidarity and commonality across racial, gendered, ethnic lines. How do you have a broad-based common good and equality for all people if you are giving everything to our differences and not our similarities?

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Not entirely sure. When I was a teenager I was more into identity politics but basically flipped when I was in college. But now to at I'm older, I've seen minorities get screwed over by so called liberals quite a bit even in day to day interactions that I'm in the middle.

WriterMan and ShaneP like this.
  11. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    What is the definition of "identity politics" that you're working from, @DANNASUK?

Jedi Merkurian and ShaneP like this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The same can be said of so-called "progressives" that think that economic justice / income inequality is a one-stop shop for fixing all of societies ills, as if abortion, gay rights, racism, etc. aren't also economic issues (especially abortion).

13. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    HIRE (clap) MORE (clap) WOMAN (clap) DEBT (clap) COLLECTORS (clap)

Yeah, it's a ridiculously complex topic, so I also went with "don't know." It's obviously not the panacea that is going to fix all of our societal ills, as my joke above illustrates, yet it's obvious (or should be!) that the Left can not ignore them just because Marx barely touched them more than once century ago. I do think there's always an economical substrate, but using that as an excuse to ignore the reality of racism or homophobia and saying that "they would all be gone post-scarcity" is more than a bit disingenuous.

I don't know. The more I read, the more academics I listen to, the more involved I get with local activist groups, the more I get into my own identitary issues... the more clear I have my position, but I still have a long way to walk.

What? You thought this crap was easy? Please.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Also a shame that something like this has been politicized.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It is good for people who are discriminated against to make it known, band together, and point out who/what is helping and who/what is hurting.

Having said that, I've seen some extreme cases (rare, becoming more common, but still rare) that just take it too far, and it hurts their case and alienates potential allies and sometimes even current allies.

There needs to be a healthy balance. Politics shouldn't only consist of identity, but it shouldn't be ignored. I think there's a way to go into identity politics without alienating potential allies.

(Voted "Don't Know")

16. Moff Hylldar

Moff Hylldar Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2018
    I'm baffled this question did not get an unambivalent "no." from everybody. I'm not interested in any kind of 'awareness' in these movies. Not about the issues mentioned, not about the environment, not about horrible diseases that people cope with, or about anything else that Oprah did a show on. I wouldn't bother to get invested in that.

I'm actually glad Tarkin did Alderaan clean 'n' quick, and the movie wasn't about the plight of the survivors.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    And we're off!

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Oops. Spoke too soon! :p

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Hi, welcome to the Jedi Council. Apart from the pinned thread, the Community boards are not for the discussion of Star Wars. Take your time around the place and get to know the rules, and things will go smoothly. Thanks!

20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Can you say that in US Politics once in a while, too?

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    You can quote me if necessary.

Darth Punk , Ender Sai and SuperWatto like this.
  22. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    #TarkinDidNothingWrong

23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    a tendency for people of a particular religion, race, social background, etc., to form exclusive political alliances, moving away from traditional broad-based party politics.

24. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm calling new bloke as Gun rights activist, being unaware of privilege in general and also a Trump supporter.

Personally, I'm in the don't know camp.

I can see why identity politics becomes a thing as something so important to you becomes the be all and end all but I'm concerned that this leads to politics/votes for pandering.

e.g. I'm voting for them as they'll give me my rights for X and that's all that matters to me
    Ignores the fact that same politics remove XYZ from everyone else

(extreme version)

Narrow focus is bad in the long term in some ways but can have a massive impact in the short term.
    (fully aware that YMMV and that some stances do need to be the long game as we wait on older less tolerant people to die)

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Such as..?