main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Jersey RJ can finally rejoice and put away the Lucasville slugger

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by F16WarBird, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    http://starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

:D

2. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. F16WarBird

Aug 5, 2004
    Well, unless your a huge proponent of VHS, you might consider modifying your signature after they release the originals on DVD. :p

4. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    if I change my sig to reflect my TRUE opinion i may end up not posting here for a few days ;)

5. F16WarBird

Aug 5, 2004
    Thats no great loss. Trust me, I know (x's three). ;)

:p

6. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    Awaiting orders Darth Diablo [face_devil]

7. Ithorian

Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2000
    Greetings, Jersey crew and fellow Holy Trilogy lovers. I decided to post here as well as on our boards, since Darth Diablo [face_devil] and I share similar opinions about a certain flanneled demon and his butchery.

As you all know, the originals have been announced for DVD release this September. What you may NOT know is that this release won't be state-of-the-art. In fact, it's not a whole lot better than having it on VHS. It's basically going to be the same transfer that was released on laserdisc and VHS back in 1993. It'll be widescreen, yes, but it's not going to be anamorphic widescreen. For those of you who don't know the difference, there's an excellent tutorial over at The Digital Bits that explains it.

They also have an excellect rant on their front page right now about the lack of anamorphic, and the crap that GWL has pulled to keep the original versions out of circulation. It may be archived by the time you read this, but the link should still be near the top of the page. Good stuff.

Also, the crusaders over at OriginalTrilogy.com have posted direct contact information for Jim Ward, so if anyone else wants to voice their displeasure over being handed a substandard piece of garbage (I know I'm probably the only one besides RJ, but hope springs eternal), head over there and check it out.

*Ithorian steps down from the soapbox and quietly walks off into the night*

8. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    well we all KNOW what he is doing. he's releasing a substandard copy so he can say see aren't you glad I gave you the special edition isn't it great? and he's wrong it STINKS on ice! Need to find a free weekend to buy a plane ticket.......

9. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Hello,
    Be happy that Lucas is putting the original version on DVD. :)

10. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Katie-
    With a comment like that, be happy OJ doesn't know where you live!! lol j/k :p

The more I read these article, the more it's like 'well here's what you wanted'!

Way to 'P' us 'O', Lucas!

~DG~

11. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    yet..... I don't sleep I wait......

12. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    Don't you think that GL and the folks at LFL have better things to do (ie: Indy 4 and the 3-D versions of both trilogies) than make a bad product just to make something else look good?

Isn't that kind of the idea? I mean, people were calling/writing/e-mailing/blogging and using every other form communication to spread the word that fans wanted an untouched version of the OT on DVD. Sure maybe the meaning of the message was to have things changed in the SE put back to their original theatrical material and yes it would be nice to have the enhanced video and audio but isn't the lack of those things part of what makes the OT such a classic in the first place? Its not like your going to put these untouched DVD's into your state-of-the-art home entertainment system and end up with a blue screen, you're still going to see the movie.

13. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Some people find solace in whining.

14. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    and others can't read.

15. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

Beat it, punk.

16. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    The 1993 Laserdisc masters represented the best source for providing the original versions as DVD bonus material. Although these are non-anamorphic versions, they do preserve the original widescreen composition of the movies.

The DVDs being released in September will contain two versions of Star Wars: Episodes IV, V and VI ? the Special Editions (which represent George?s vision of the movies) and the first versions, which will be included as bonus material.

BONUS material?? NO the originals or laserdiscs prints whatever should be the ENTIRE set!!!

17. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    So let me get this straight if we buy these and that is a BIG if we will be forced to take a SE version along with an original version? I don't need any more versions of GL vision. I have two (1 VHS and 1 DVD) that is enough for me. What would be the bonus material? If they are going to add deleted scenes back into the movies I might be fine with that, but if it is just more commentary I don't want it.

18. buster726

Sep 19, 2002
    EXACTLY!!!

the SE is going to be in the bundle. and the "originals" will be there as bonus material on seperate discs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.