main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT RLM provides a brilliant satire of prequel bashing, not an actual critique of the prequels!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Pyrogenic, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I think it all boils down to people don't want to have to defend their beliefs all the time. (Heck,most people are hard pressed to defend their religious beliefs in this day and age,let alone defend Jar Jar Binks) And so most people will take the path of least resistance. "Oh yeah, the prequels? Yeah, they were pretty bad. I agree with RLM." Gets them off the hook,they look like the "cool kids" and they don't have to make an effort to justify liking something deemed "uncool". RLM explains all their reasons for "hating" the PT. No effort involved.

Of course, I'm the complete opposite. I'm proud of my likes/beliefs, and I'm willing to defend them 24/7.

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    There is certainly that factor: laziness and indolence. And perhaps it is underrated.

But there are people who previously wielded the RLM material like an axe. As if they finally had some objective "proof" of the PT's alleged atrociousness.

I feel proud and/or comfortable with most of my own, too. And I'm certainly not shy of defending them.

Sometimes, though -- perhaps for the sake of wanting a peaceful, uncomplicated life -- I will fall silent.

Also, constantly trying to justify one's beliefs is maddening. It can't always be done; and you wouldn't want it to.

That said, I've certainly had some fun on this site, elaborating on my prequel views over the years.

3. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Oh,yes. I know a little of what that's like and I generally agree.

4. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I like the prequels, but I found them to be intelligent reviews of what was done incorrectly and how they could have been better.

5. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I don't think he was trying to satire PT bashers, if he was he either didn't do a good job or dropped it for his later reviews. Instead, I believe he was just using humor to influence his viewers. Humor is a powerful tool to manipulate people and is well known and used in politics. People are wired to want to like and agree with people who they find funny. RLM uses both editing and humor to influence people. I once saw on a film making forum where the RLM guys were tooting their horns about how great editors they are. How they could not make one scene funny, but Stokksia (however you spell his name) reedited it to make it funny, admitting he is good at using editing to greatly alter scenes to influence people, and editing like humor can be used for manipulation.

Personally I find angry reviewers are just lame, pilot fish clinging to the big fish. Many wind up being Lolcows themselves.

6. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    Really?!!, Besides the fact that Mr. Plinket constantly lies about everything in the film I find him to be increadible doll and boring. I actually thought that his videos would be easier to sit through then Ryans endless rebuttle but I was wrong dead wrong. And after listening to his phantom menace review I can actually sympathise more with Ryan because his review was such an inaccurate piece of dodoo that it made Confused Mathews original lion king review look like a movie analyse by geekvolution(one of the few really good internet critics).

7. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    It was a responce to cryogenic about the humor of RLM. Personally I didn't find RLM funny either but I can see how some would but he uses it as a tool to influence his viewers. RLM lies, edits clips and shows them out of context, and misuses humor to manipulate viewers. So many people online, even today phaise these guys as the best reviewers on the net (which isn't saying much really) and his reviews are some sort of master pieces that can be used for teaching in filmschools. Just the past couple of weeks I still see RLM reviews being brought up on all sorts of sites, like a firearms blog and a amusment park forum. However, RLM are the worst kind of reviewers who lie and misrepresent what they review to push their agenda and gain clicks, it makes me sad to see people so easily suckered into thinking they are some sort of a great film experst. Only thing they are good at is BSing people.

Another guy I would like to bring up here is a riffer, not a reviewer but many in geekdom confuse the two anyway. Mike J Nelson of MST3K frame who currently works on Rifftrax. He has bad mouthed the prequels many times, calling TPM the worst movie ever made because he thinks it is boring and flat. He also once said that the prequels was a great opportunity which Lucas wizzed down his leg, classy Mike. However he isn't a fan of Star Wars in general and is a raging LOTR fans which may make him bias. At least he did riff all 6 Star Wars films and not just do the prequels like RLM, however Rifftrax still caters to the angry internet geek culture. Moreover, the fact he still uses PT hate jokes as running gags all the time is futher spreading PT hate and telling people how they should think and feel about Star Wars which is why I brought him up.

8. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    WOW! I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not, but I just read an AMAZING 108-page rebuttal to Mr. Plinkett's The Phantom Menace review. It proves nearly everything he says wrong!

Here is a link if anyone is truly interested (the website has the PDF download)
    Just ignore the guy on this page. He's a Plinkett fan:
    http://thestarwarstrilogy.com/starw...ebuttal-to-Mr-Plinketts-Phantom-Menace-review

9. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    Yeah, that guy really is a blind RLM follower. Why do people make such a big deal about trade disputes being boring? Trade disputes have been the causes of many wars and it is not like they go into long indepth discussions about it either. Heck the bashers talk about trade more than the film itself does. What is so hard to understand? Trade taxes restict trade and reduce profit margins, the TF is pissed and blockades a soft target plant to force the Republic to lift the taxes but things snowball into much more than just a trade dispute. I just find it such a bizarre non-issue to get hung up on.

As for the breathers, maybe the Jedi did use them and put them away before attacking the battle droids? They seemed to be able to whip them in and out pretty fast going to Otah Gunga and may be put in to explain how they surived the gassing. As for the TF's landing ships, I always thought from what the film shows that they were landing ships all over Naboo. That the two Jedi just had bad luck getting on ships that landed on the wrong side of Naboo from the queen, it wasn't their day after all.

10. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Yeah, that thing has been around for a long time and the rebuttal has been discussed here here a ton. I believe we even discussed it earlier in this very thread. The rebuttal is brilliant and truly proves the RLM reviews to be nothing more than frauds.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

11. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Plinkett's hilarious. But I still love the prequels all the same.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks for the link I've wanted to read the rebuttal awhile. I suspect I'll disagree with both about equally but it should be interesting reading if it isn't a bashfest.

13. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I love the PT trilogy!

Now I await some internet nobody to tell me I have no taste or whatever the word of the week is?

Oh no! Some nobody on the internet told me I have no taste? Oh what am I to do?

I can't stand those clowns. And I love it when they act like they have a clue about, anything.

Prisic Duskleap and mes520 like this.
  14. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    Sadly it seems that hating and bashing the prequels has become "nerd cultural capital". Cultural capital refers to the collection of symbolic elements such as skills, tastes, posture, clothing, mannerisms, material belongings, credentials, etc. that one acquires through being part of a particular social class or group. Sharing similar forms of cultural capital with others—the same taste in movies, for example, or a degree from an Ivy League School—creates a sense of collective identity and group position (“people like us”). Certain forms of cultural capital are valued over others, and it seems PT bashing is highly valued in nerd culture.

Another thing is people often like online viewers who regurgitates the viewer's opinions back at them as a form of validation, hence why many bashers always link to the RLM videos as "proof". Because RLM vaildates their dislike of the PT by rehashing the same arguments, and other reviewers copy cating RLM to appeal to the same viewer base. It is such an easy mark for them.

15. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    The RLM reviews are the worst thing ever. I can't count how many times I have been told by PT haters to watch those "reviews" like if they are really going to change my views to the PT. It's pathetic how so many take RLM views as gospel. Certainly I have no issue with anyone that didn't like the PT but RLM and his fanboys take it to far in their criticisms.

Slicer87, mes520 and Valairy Scot like this.
  16. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Still the fact that they're as famous as they are & that we're still talking about them shows how phenomenally successful they've been. They've stirred debate perhaps like no other reviews ever.

17. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

They've been popular only through the crappy internet and nerd cultural world which the majority of people in the real world (except maybe Star Wars fans) don't take seriously at all.

They've never been, and never will be, referenced in the intellectual or educationnal world (do you really think that they will be referenced at school to our children?) since that Plinkett guy promotes anti-intellectualism: moking George Lucas and the people behind the making of the movies instead of understanding and do some additional research, demeaning public debates online with his caustic, aggressive and nasty rhetoric and keeping rising false stories out of proportion, and tracking all the human mistakes in order to use it as a weapon and to discredit other people as George Lucas, the cast and the crew.

18. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    They have stirred nothing but hatred within the fandom. Nothing positive comes from those reviews at all.

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    & yet fans like yourselves are still creating threads & discussing the reviews in forums such as these. If discussing them isn't worthwhile then why continue to do it? Are you saying we're part of the "crappy internet and nerd cultural world" ?

20. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

I've never implied that this forum was part of the dark side of the internet. At least here, we can have some courteous and civilized discussions. But places like Youtube on which that Plinkett guy has posted those videos have become the worst places ever on the internet.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    But you're all still putting your time in discussing his reviews. That makes them relevant, for better or for worse. The reviews that aren't relevant are the ones that no one cares about or discusses.

& despite how much some PT & SW fans hate his reviews they did get some acclaim, & not from "crappy" areas of the internet. From the likes of the San Fransisco Chronicle, /Film, Damon Lindelof, Simon Pegg to just name a few (source Wikipedia). I suppose the next step will be for someone to rubbish all of those people & sources as "hacks" or "idiots" who don't know what they're talking about.

22. Thiazzi

Thiazzi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 27, 2015
    Despite my disdain for RLM and his fanboys, I don't actually know how to rebuke the latter when they cite one of his many reasons for the PT being 'bad'. It's not the matter of individual arguments being challenging to engage, but rather using evidence from the prequels themselves (I don't like pointing out OT flaws, since it implies bias), as many believe that 'good' portions of the prequels were a result of pure circumstance or simply miniscule when placed in comparison with the rest of the film's faults. Sometimes I hate liking the prequels, because I feel as if I'm wrong or my opinion is negated because of it.

23. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

You really don't want to let go, do you?

Like, if I really needed a review or someone else as Simon Pegg, Damon Lindelof or whoever else to tell me that I must believe this or that. People tend to follow others with authoritative aspect or the crowd easily, and sometimes, without taking the time to think by themselves. It's not only about Star Wars, it's also in everyday life. But as Einstein once said, "if you just follow the crowd, you'll not go further than the rest of it".

Even if I've watched his first review, and sometimes even discuss about when it is raised here, it doesn't mean that it's relevant for me. The only relevant thing those reviews have brought, is that it showed how some people can really be (and no offense here) stupid sometimes and how terrifying the internet world can be. That's all...

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I don't like alot of elements in his delivery, can't stand his lame "skits" in between his commentary but if I'm being objective I have to agree with about 70% of his observations. Many of them are very insightful & get to the core of the problems with those movies.

Just dispelling any notion that the only people who saw merit in his reviews were "nerds" from the "crappy" areas of the internet. Many credible people within in the film industry, some of them SW fans who don't have an agenda either way highly rated his take on the PT movies.

25. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    There is no merit to his reviews at all its just to stir up hatred in the fandom at as I stated earlier. Simon Pegg and the other PT haters in the industry are not a credible source at all and even so I am not going to change my views on the PT just because some people in the industry don't like the films. I am not simple minded I am able to form my opinion and my opinion is the PT are well done films and no Plinkett review or anything else will change my view on that.

SW Saga Fan likes this.