main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RMFF 2005 Holiday Gift Exchange

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Traditionally, we have incorporated a gift exchange in conjunction with our December Holiday Meetings .

Everyone's name goes into the cyber-hat, and a disinterested party (last year was Fenig's mom) draws the names in tandem to decide who is gifting to whom.

We typically designate an official limit of $10 on these gifts.

If anyone has any suggestions/comments on the gift exchange, please post them here.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Edit: To include December Holiday Meeting link

2. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    I say we skip it this year .

And you all just chip in to get me a life size yoda.

3. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    OK Chunk, I think I have some change. [face_mischief]

4. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    I'm steal SS kill foose ball table while he's not looking.

5. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Note to self:

Encase entire contents of home in carbonite prior to Chunk's arrival....

6. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    I could let you borrow a stun gun....

7. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005

Since I'm already doing a similar $10 gift exchange at work (in addition to gifts for relatives, et al), I think it would be a hoot to have a White Elephant gift exchange. They are much more fun, cheaper (like most of us), and you can finally get rid of that 70s funk blender that people keep regifting to you for some reason.

The following are the "rules" for White Elephant gift exchanges:

1 - Gifts must be either inexpensive or something already in your possession
    2 - The cheaper/funkier/funnier the better!
    3 - Gifts should be "wrapped" to the best of your ability. Misleading wrapping is most definitely appreciated.
    4 - All who bring a gift get a number from a hat and all presents are put in the mush pot.
    5 - Number one goes first by picking a gift, unwrapping it, and enjoying said "gift."
    6 - Number two can either steal number one's gift or open a new one.
    7 - Every successive person can open a new gift or steal from a previous number.
    8 - Gifts can only be stolen 3 times.
    9 - To end, number one can either keep their current gift or steal any of the open gifts, provided it hasn't been stolen 3 times.

Make sense? Sound good?
    Combine this with the beverage of your choice and the holidays will be a rockin!

8. Sith_Slayer

Apr 9, 2002
    Hmmmmm....

A White Bantha gift, eh????

Me likey.

9. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    Actually, I've done this too, at a wedding reception and it was so funny! I got mine stolen everytime.

10. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    How about We all just take one item that we like from SS collection .

11. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    I'd love the life-size Slave Leia blowup doll, but...I'd be afraid of its condition.

12. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I really like the White Elephant .......white bantha idea

13. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    I hear it has a lot of milage .

14. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I didn't like how last years "exchange" went, some people didn't even get their gift until March because they didn't go to the Party.

I was thinking something along the idea of Jthornto but I don't like the idea of item #1, I say if you don't have the cash or creativity to bring a gift you don't have to, you can just watch & be glad your not in the middle of it or something.

I've seen it done where all the gifts get opened up one at a time, then the swapping starts by #1, then #2 (that way being the first few #'s and not having much of a choice to choose from?) & 1 item can't be swapped more then X times?????

15. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    White Bantha (Elephant) games work out nicely.

I have done them at several parties and it is a lot of fun...and SC you brought up a good point about some people not getting their gifts till March.

We can still have the $10 present limit and have a lot of fun with it. We don't even need to have a sign-up for this either, which is also nice.

and I think for sanity sake, let's keep the topic on track. I am going to be the Holiday Thread Nazi. Just too easy to get going off on too many subjects. I know I should talk. ;)

16. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    yeah, I like the idea of the $10 limit but doing the rest like jonathan said. I mean, $10 is the LIMIT...doesn't mean you have to spend that much (on the contrary the limit is there to keep things cheaper). so anyway, that gets my vote.

17. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Here's what a few of us discussed at the after-meeting.

#1 - Each person participating needs to bring a wrapped gift
    #2 - Gifts needs to a minimum of $10 & and a max of $20
    #3 - Gifts can be serious, funny, gags, etc. (the trick is to have some good stuff everyone is gonna want and one or two things that people don't want to get stuck with).
    #4 - Everyone randomly draws numbers from a hat.
    #5 - Gifts are selected from the pile in order of the number drawn.
    #6 - Once everyone has their gifts, First person unwraps their gift.
    #7 - Second person unwraps their gift, and they must decide to either keep it, or exchange with 1st person.
    #8 - Third person unwraps their gift, and they must decide to either keep it, or exchange it with the 1st or 2nd person.
    #9 - It goes like this all the way down the line, until every present is wnrapped (being able to exchange with anyone opening previously).
    #10 - One more round of trading, going in order of number drawn.

I've done this before, and it netted me a Pants Dropping/Giggling Spongebob.

The object of the game is to make it as fun as possible. In the last one I played, someone used a Maul Kids Rain Slicker as a prize (they had gotten it on eBay for about $3) and put some gift cards in the pocket. Everyone who got the slicker wanted to unload it as fast as possible, but it was the last person with it that was one of the happiest people. There were also things like Skywalker Ranch Wine and a gruesome gift basket to have something to fight over.

Just something to keep in mind :)

18. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm not big on the $10 min.

*shrug* I just don't like any of you enough to spend more than $10

;) :p

19. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    ok, actually it looks like they're looking at the 17th for the party, which is on a saturday, which means I probably won't be able to make it anyway, so my opinion doesn't really count ;)

20. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Any more ideas on this? Which way do we wish to run it?

21. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    I'm fine with however y'all want to run it. In my experience, it's turned out more fun to be able to steal other gifts before unwrapping one yourself. Unwrapping then opting to steal or not kinda takes some of the fun out, as does the second round of stealing.

Granted, the second round of stealing also takes some of the sting out of getting stuck with the goat hoof ash tray (ask my old manager Rona and her hubby about that one. It was beautiful)!

22. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    I really have no solid opinion. The white bantha thing sounds OK since it'll be cheaper, and it'll let me get rid of something I don't want. LOL.

When we've had them at work, they've been somewhat fun, too.

23. BerusBantha

BerusBantha Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    I love the white Bantha idea. It should prove to be much more fun and social than everyone opening a gift all at once like last year.
    As for how much to spend how about a minimum of 5.00 and max of 15.00? Or a compromise between 5 and 10 for a $7.50 minimum.

24. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I am in, matters not to me which way we run it, I will go with the majority

25. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    This will give me a chance to get rid of SOme old crap thats collecting dust

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.