main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RMFF 2005 Holiday Gift Exchange

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Sith_Slayer, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Um.....should I ask, or simply leave it alone... ? [face_thinking]

2. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    We've learned that with Zoomie, it's best to leave it alone ;) [face_laugh]

3. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    er...but I think she was referring to Chunk...

4. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    Er .... if she was referring to me don't you think she would have quoted Me and not ZOOM. DUH!

5. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    nevermind, didn't see the quote in the post, just saw that you'd posted right before her. and I was going on 00:00 sleep at that point.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I was speaking about the person who actually owns the doll....but come to think of it...how would chunk know about the mileage? [face_thinking]

7. RavLoc_Vos

RavLoc_Vos Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Hey All

I really want to make this, but I don't think that we will be there as my wife and daughter have a Dance recital that weekend. Also I NEVER got my present from last year, so I wish everyone all the best and you MUST tell me how it goes. Merry Christmas in advance and I will see ya'll later.

Later Days...

8. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    Uh .... His is an older model than mine and I know the millage on mine . so his has to be double if not more.

9. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    Holee cow you guys! You're logically thinking through how to calculate the milage on Stacy's fictional blow up doll. You guys amaze me! :p -=dies=-

Anyway... I highly doubt that anyone who potentially HAS a Leia blow up doll would be willing to part with it! I mean, c'mon! What a collector's item! -=just dies=-

10. Kal-El_Kenobi

Kal-El_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Feb 28, 2005
    i guess i'm in for the gift exchange the white bantha thing seems kinda funky but what the heck.

11. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    I really hate to make a fuss about things, but who had Chico as their target for the gift exchange last year? This sucks.

If you say you're going to participate, participate. I was Chico's target last year, and they weren't able to make it up, but he still came over and dropped off the gift. But nobody at the party had Chico's gift for us to bring back.

I'll be opting out of the gift exchange if we go. It's just a little gift, yeah, but if one person says they'll do it, and they don't, it ruins the experience for somebody. :p I'll spend my money on a high performance hamster wheel. Kthxbye.

12. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    Before this gets out of hand, I would just like to say that perhaps because Chico wasnt at the meeting his secret santa found it difficult to get his gift to him?

Since I sent out the pm's last year, I know who it was...and I know this wasnt an intentional slight...just a snafu.

At my first holiday party, I thought I had been jilted. Turned out Zoo opened my gift by mistake. Things happen, people! ;)

13. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005

Well, not to worry this year about gifts not being received or given. With the White Bantha rules, if you bring a gift...you get a gift. If you don't, you don't participate. Very simple and it insures that people get a gift if they bring one since everyone who brings one draws a number. No snafus allowed! ;)

Also, I understand everybody's enthusiasm to spend money on gifts, i.e. $5...$7.50...$10...$20...and so on. However, this should be a time of year where it's the thought that counts. And I'm thinking of all those of us who don't like to spend money if they don't have to. If you would like to spend money on a gift, please do so. However, those gifts should be given one-on-one, IMO. If you want someone to know you care about them, then let them know with a monetary gift directly to them.

One of the reasons the White Elephant/Bantha rules states minimal spending is because it's about fun. Wackiness! Unusual gifts! Not about how much you can spend. Not about the "quality" of the gift, but the story behind it. Whether it was purchased..lost and then found...or thrown up by your hamster. It's all good. I think this would be the best way to do a gift exchange for a large group. No feelings are hurt and nobody feels shafted for buying an expensive gift and leaving with a goat hairball..or some such thing.

14. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Well, when you put it that way, it makes me pick up a phone book and start calling all the goat herders for hairballs...

15. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    Oh I know the perfect gift. A big wheel of fresh fumunda cheese.

16. SandyShortsTusken

SandyShortsTusken Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2003
    Go raid the dollar store... lots of strange stuff for just $10.

17. e1jnky

e1jnky Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2004
    I'm in for the white elephant gift exchange. I have done this in the past many times and it's always great! Plus the whole, if you bring a gift your in the game, part makes it alot better for those who are not sure if they will be able to make it. We could even do a prize for the wackiest wrapping job.

18. SandyShortsTusken

SandyShortsTusken Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2003
    I second the notion of stealing before unwrapping... That way in the end of all the giving and stealing, we open the gifts and find out just how bad we got snookered. *8-)

And strange wrapping to disguise the origin, textures, sounds, and smells are what it is all about!

19. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    Ok..I am not going thru all of the post.

The way the games works is this.

You all draw a number...and that is what your "choice placement."

Your number comes up, you are number 8. Say you like the present that say number 5 opened, you can either choose number 5's gift or they can chance it and take a new unwrapped gift.

Each gift can get stolen twice. Say that number 10, likes the gift that number 8 stole. Then they steal it...that gift is dead! Can not be stolen again.

Those are the rules to the White Elephant Gift Exchange.

EDIT:

*White BANTHA Gift Exchange (happy now?)

20. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    Oh but this is not a white elephant this is a white bantha . ;)

21. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    You go girl **three snaps in a Z!**** :D

Ok, so now were did I put that oversized neon crocheted stocking I made when I was 9??????

That's the present I'm bringing, if your lucky it won't still have the fruit cake in it.

22. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005

You wouldn't have to go through them all, just my well-written one, the seventh post. :p

And, for those who just love rules, a gift can't be stolen twice in the same round. It can be stolen once and then when it is the nex person's turn, it can be up for grabs.

Did anybody watch this in action in the "Christmas Party" episode of The Office on Tuesday night? Their office gift-giving started out as a Secret Santa and ended up as a "Yankee Swap" with everyone vieing for the iPod and no one wanting the homemade oven mitt. Hilarious!

23. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    oven mitt.

genius. my shopping is done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.