main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RMFF BOOK REVIEW AND DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Bravo, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Hi. For anyone who doesn't know me, I'm Jason. My username being Bravo. Been with the RMFF I think now for two years. Been at the JC boards for three years. And I've been to one RMFF meeting back in my Junior year of High School. I really want to go to another RMFF meeting. Just have to find time and a way to get there.

Okay, so anyways, a while ago I had another book thread up. Just to see who was reading what type of book and where they were. Well, now I want to double that. This thread will not only be for what books you have, are reading, but also for book reviews and previews. If anyone wants a book review or preview and someone has read it, just ask here and hopefully you'll question will be asked. Not only that but this thread is also here to discuss the books we read. Have fun all. :)

2. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Okay, so get this. Last night I went out and bought four books. I bought The Final prophecy by Greg Keyes, The Eye Of The World, The Great Hunt, and The Dragon Reborn all by Robert Jordan. Well, my quetion is, has anyone read The Wheel Of Time series or any books from Robert Jordan? Is he a pretty good writter and story teller?

Was anyone else unable to not finish Force Heretic III: Reunion? The book just boarded me out. The first book in the NJO series that I put down and not finished. And I think, also, the first book I ever put down...well, besides Return Of The Jedi, although I plan on picking that book back up some day. Reunion...I don't think I'll pick up and read again.

3. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    The Eye Of The World, The Great Hunt, and The Dragon Reborn all by Robert Jordan. Well, my quetion is, has anyone read The Wheel Of Time series or any books from Robert Jordan? Is he a pretty good writter and story teller?

Dude, Cory and I have been promoting those books for a while now. It's great someone's picking them up! :D Jordan is a great storyteller. It might be hard to start the first one, but I was hooked once I was past the first chapters. Cory knows more about this than I, but I think there's 13 books total, and only 10 or 11 written. It takes a while for Jordan to get the next book out, so take your time. ;)

*SB*

4. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    It's good to know that someone else reads his books too! I'm only on Chapter 3 of the first book and I'm already hooked! I love books that get you into the life of the character, not just his actions. So, one could say, I'm hooked on his books now. Since his books are pretty long and all, I'll have plenty of reading to do.

I so want to find time to read the book today. But I also have to study for my Mid-Term today also.

5. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Someone else out there has to have a question about a book? Come on all, if you have any questions just post it here and hopefully someone will come along and post an answer for ya. If you have a book review or even want to start a discussion on a book, feel free to post here.

6. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm reading GERONIMO by Angie Debo. I love reading these books. Being a descendant of Geronimo, I find about 80% of the books written on him are filled with BS but read them because a lot of them are funny. In High School, a history teacher argued with me about him saying that he was sent back to Arizona where he lived and died peacefully. Hilarious! My mom got a hold of him and the next day he formally apologized to the class for teaching us **! ***** :)

There are a lot of things I found out were totally wrong, learning about Geronimo and the Apache in school. It only makes me wonder how many other stories about other tribes are all messed up. I guess we could never know? Bleh

anyway...back to my book, to the glorious sounds of The Ramones

7. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    I just finished reading New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy. I won't post a review because it is still in spoiler period.

I'm also reading:

Where is God when it hurts by Philip Yancey
    Emotional Blackmail by Susan Johnson (?)

And I'm going to start a book Void recommended to me and the title has just slipped my mind . . . what a surprise!

8. Broncos_Slain

Broncos_Slain Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2003
    JO, unfortunately, history tends to be written by the victors, aka the White Man...

9. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I'm finding The Eyes Of The World a very, very good book. I'm on page 127, Chapter 9. Last night I read like 40 some pages before I had to hit the sack for the night. A very good book.

Anyone care for more info on the book? I'll tell ya what I know. Although it's long, it's a very, very good book.

10. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    The DaVincci Code. Wonderful book. Keeps you on your toes.

11. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    What is The DaVincci Code about?

12. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    DaVinnci! What else! ;)

I'm reading the book Void recommended "Slay and Rescue" and it is very amusing. It is about the real adventures of Prince Charming.

13. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Prince Charming?

have any of you read Fables? It's hilarious. Fairy Tale people living in the real world. Prince Charming sleeps with all the girls. He's very funny. That just reminded me of it. :)

14. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Although this might sound weird, I never knew people wrote those type of books; like funny books. I might have to down to the book store and pick up a copy for myself. They sound pretty good; it's a change from what I normally read.

15. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Right now there are 10 books released for The Wheel of Time. I'm not sure if Jordan has announced how many books there will be altogether, but I haven't exactly kept up on the news lately (and I never have finished book 10) [face_blush]

The books are total page turners all the way up until book five which goes a little slow, but once you're past the slow parts, it's completely worth it. Slow parts again in parts of 7 and 8, but 9 friggin rules IMO. 10 is definitely the slowest one so far, but if you work at it you can trudge through it (it seems more of like an in-between book for 9 and 11).

Just for kicks and giggles, here's the list of all the books so far:

1. The Eye of the World
    2. The Great Hunt
    3. The Dragon Reborn
    4. The Shadow Rising
    5. The Fires of Heaven
    6. Lords of Chaos
    7. A Crown of Swords
    8. A Path of Daggers
    9. Winter's heart
    10. Crossroads of Twilight

16. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    I was a big Piers Anthony fan, especially his Xanth series. Very clever writing style, especially if your into wordplay and puns. Also, his Incarnations of Immortality series puts an interesting spin on theology/mythology in a contemporary, modern-day setting.

Dragonworld by Reaves & Preiss (sp?) is also a good read.

17. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    In Eye of the World, I just got past a slow part. Right where Perrin (sp?), Ewgene (sp?), and Elyis (sp?) leave the Traveling People. That part was really slow and it took me the better part of a week and a half to get through it. Although now things are starting to pick up. I like where Perrin's (sp?) character is going. I sure hope he survives through book ten.

And I kinnda of cheated ahead a few books and found out that Ral's character is getting less and less attention. Is that right?

18. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I was wondering if anybody has read any of the Buffy novels that are out there?
    Just wondering if they were worth the time and energy?

Any thoughts?
    -D-
    mostly I read sci fi/fantasy (Star Wars, Dragon Lance, WOT, lawyer/detective mysteries)

19. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I haven't. What do you think of WOT (Weel of Time?)?

20. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I was sucked in and trapped from near the beginning. I started the first book a few times before I really got into it. Then it became a mad rush. "oh no, almost done with this book, must go shopping. CHARGE"
    I had a hard time finding some of the books, and I was checking two different used book stores and quite a few new books stores. Bookmans down here in PHX is pretty cool. They gave me book seven last year. It was all torn up, and I have been hounding them for star wars and jordan books for years. (probably doesn't hurt that my bro used to work there).
    But as far as book 10 goes, I was dissappointed in the fact that it was super long and didn't resolve anything. But that won't slow me down a bit when eleven comes out.
    I think I'll buy the short thing that Jordan is finishing up, just to get my fix. I think it's supposed to be a tangent story from around the second book.

21. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I know what you mean about getting hooked on the series. I'm still on the first back, about 150 or 200 pages to go, but I can't wait to start the second book.

I found the first seven books, maybe more, of WOT at a book store in Southgleen Mall (sp?). Boarders didn't even have half the books of WOT, maybe 3 or 4, but the one at Southgleen Mall, a smaller one, almost had the whole series.

I started on The Final Prophecy and in just a day and a half, I've read over half the book. The love the book. The charpters are short and interesting. I love it how the author brought back Corran Horn. It's probably one of the best books in the New Jedi Order Series that I've read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.