RMFF Website

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by BFett88, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. BFett88 Force Ghost

star 4
    Hello all, I am going to try to start working on and updating the rmff site. I will be uploading C3 pictures and trying to keep it up to date. I got most of the passwords, I just need the login for the admin from Terry, then I can fully try to do the job. I have never done anything like this before. So please have patience, it will take me a while get used to it. Please tell me what you would like to see on the website or what you would like to be chaned. At first I will just try to update it, and maybe eventually start to change the site. But this will take time, I work full time and I am a full time student. So if anyone know the Admin login or has Terry's phone number, please PM me. Otherwise please let me know what you would like updated or changed or how you feel about me doing this.

Thanks,

Shane
  2. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    I've sent you the info you need.
  3. BFett88 Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok I have loaded some new picture galeries. There is one for St. Patricks Day Parade 2005, and two of them for C3. I am going to try and break up the C3 ones this weekend. But it will have to do for now. So go take a peak at the new pics. Also, I will be trying to update the meetings and events section this weekend.

If anyone has any pics they would like posted give me a yell.
  4. FenigDurak Jedi Master

star 4
    Shane, do you think you could size down the pictures before uploading them? That's a lot of image to load.
  5. BFett88 Force Ghost

star 4
    Will do, just wanted to get something in there.
  6. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

I put this idea out before, but I think it got dropped....might be a good idea to have two versions(eventually, not now!).....one for 56K'ers and one for high-speeders with DSL, ect.

7. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    One version will be fine for the next 10 years. Keep it small. I still throw rocks at people (no really, I do -- I used to keep a handful at work, and would rarely have to hit somebody more than once) when I see a 100x100 pixel GIF that weighs more than 10 kb's. 90% of the planet doesn't have hi-speed connections.

In the future, we might all have fiber optic gigabit ethernet, but I've got my money on the oil crash turning the U.S. into a post-Apocalyptic "Mad Max" warzone.
  8. VaapadApprentice Jedi Padawan

First timer on this site (be gentle)

Humbly bows and offers a suggestion - if you're using Photoshop, you can reduce the quality to an acceptable level while still having a decent size picture for thinner bandwidths. I can offer some assistance also if you're needing to batch out some picture resizing.
  9. BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler

star 5
    Dude, that would so rock. I'm gonna start modding my car with some armor plating and rollcages. Pimp it out Mad Max style!
  10. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    I would agree, even at high speed connections, non-optimized photos take a while to load, don't add anything to the viewing experience, take up more space and eat bandwidth.

I'll try to post what the specs were for the photos that are there now.
  11. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

On the X-Plane forum, which I use extensively, it has places for posting pics with a max size limit of 100kb as a comparison. Most of the other pages which accept images have ranges from 88-150kb from what I've been able to tell(yahoo groups, ect), and make extensive use of thumbnails for listing huge volumes of embedded image directories.

12. VaapadApprentice Jedi Padawan

I've never used this CMS before, does the photo gallery support thumbnail graphics separate from the large graphic?
  13. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No. The gallery isn't a CMS -- it's all hand coded. [face_plain]
  14. ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It does... Our main concern is the bandwitdh usage the larger graphics would involve. Right now, the graphics (when clicked on) more than fill the screen, which is huge, and no one will *just* look at the thumbnail ;)

Let me know when you have the kinks out, BFETT88, because I will get you a couple of disks worth of picture backlog :)
  15. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh. Wait. My bad. The gallery does have some kinda CMS functions. I was thinking of a completely different site.

But now I have to sneer at the teeny pictures the gallery gives us to look at. How am I supposed to tell how hot FD really is in her Persephone outfit when the pic displays as a 320x200 pix image? :p
  16. VaapadApprentice Jedi Padawan

How about the "scottish" approach... Wee, Not So Wee, and Friggen Huge!!! (if the site would support it)

Could the photo gallery display smaller thumbnails for the section gallery (100 x 100 or so). Then, when clicking on the thumbnail, it displays a slightly larger picture (320 x 320 or so) for the budget bandwidth. Then, when clicking on the slightly larger picture, the full size picture will display for someone who's willing to wait for the download or has the bandwidth to not be phased much.

Whad'ya think?
  17. VaapadApprentice Jedi Padawan

I was poking around on the MOD WEBAPP site to learn more about how Galler works and came across this snippet:

----------
    $usergallerythumbsurl = "$usergalleryimagesurl/thumb";
    $usergallerythumbsdir = "$usergalleryimagesdir/thumb";
    $usergallerythumbssize = 70;

They are probably self explanatory, but set $usergallerythumbsurl to the url where you will store your thumbnails, $usergallerythumbsdir to the path of your thumbnails, and the odd one.. $usergallerythumbssize to what size (in pixels) you would like to be the longest of your image.
    ----------

Is this the same thing you're doing or would this literally give you a separate directory to keep your thumbnails in? I don't have much experience using WebApp so forgive my ignorance on this one.
  18. VaapadApprentice Jedi Padawan

I should've given credit where credit was due to the snippet of code in the last email; here's the URL I found it at...

http://www.wideopensources.com/perl/webapp/modapp/?action=search&task=post&id=1269&forum=modhacks&date=03.06.03%20-%2006:14:01&ext=txt

Cheers
  19. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    The gallery is a plugin for the CMS our site uses, it's not hand coded (just confirming).

I made the choice to not have thumbnails because the photos were pretty well optimized for speed, and making thumbnails would mean more work for me.

Even if we do add thumbnails, non-optimized images should still never be put it, it's just not polite.

There are lots of gallery programs out there, some free, most of the better ones not. This was a free and simple solution that worked with our CMS, it just requires that the images be optimized first, but does not allow for regular user upload.
  20. jthornto Force Ghost

star 4
    I wanted to send some of my C3 pics to Shane. What pixel size should they be?
  21. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    I found I got the best results by constraining to 350 pixels, with a JPEG quality of medium. This was using Photoshop's automated tools.

The pictures are a very viewable image size, a clear image, and pretty small file sizes.
  22. BFett88 Force Ghost

star 4
    Hello all, I have been reading what Tim has been posting about council members stepping up and giving it there all to the rmff. With that said I can not donate the time that is needed to seriously update the rmff site. I am currently in my last term of school. I have hours of home work every weekend and hardly get to spend time with my wife. I work full time. I guess I cannot commit the amount of time that the rmff needs from me.

I am sorry for trying to take on this project. I did not realize so much was going to need to be done. If I was not at school I know I could do it. But there is just do much going on in my life.

I know Zoom was saying he wanted to take it on. So I nominate Zoom if he want to take it on. I would love to keep on helping out on the site. But I would only be able to upload pics and keep an update on news. I will not be able to have time to do huge updates.

So if anyone has the time or the wants to step up please volunteer. Once again I am sorry, I feel that I have failed you all. :(

Sorry
  23. kitarusapien Former RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 6

There is no shame in recognizing that you are overwhelmed, and I commend you for recognizing that your family and schoolwork come first! KUDOS!!!! If you would be so kind as to consult with ZOOM on this, then he can decide whether or not he can take on the burden. Thanks!

24. Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Date Posted: 7/18 12:27pm Subject: RE: COUNCIL POSITIONS
    I know this is going to be shooting myself in the foot, but I've been thinking about this for the last couple of weeks...

For a period of 2 months, I would be willing to try out the web spot. After that 2 months, if people are still happy, I'll keep doing it til whenever. I can promise to have updates posted during my reign of terror, so long as they're PM'd/mailed to me, and that notification isn't given at the last minute. Heh.

-------------------
    Date Posted: 7/18 1:51pm Subject: RE: COUNCIL POSITIONS

If I was willing to get started right away, I'd be dressed up in my best Frankenfurter outfit sitting in Obi_Wannabe's lap trying to snag the passwords from him as soon as possible.

Kinda funny that it's been almost 2 months since I said I'd try it out for 2 months. Sadly, as much as I'm sure both O_W and I were looking forward to me sitting in his lap in a pair of fishnets, my time's already been re-allocated to spending more time on Klingon stuff, and working on a Ghostbusters project.

Let me know if yer still interested in the fishnets -- I'll try to set aside a weekend. ;)
  25. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    I guess Bfett's and Zoom's honesty is good, it just comes at a real good time since I leave in about 6 hours for my HONEYMOON (yes, we signed the license and mailed it on Friday!)

Any changes or handoff will have to wait until I get back, you guys will have to discuss it at the meeting.

In the meantime, does anyone want the job? Sithis can have it if he wants :)
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.