main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA RMK Stargazing Night

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by MommyJedi, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommyJedi

MommyJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2007
    I just copied the format used on the 501st boards. I hope you all can come to this event this time. I had so much fun with everyone last time. I'll keep you all up to date with all the info, but here is the introduction.
    Can't wait!

The Event: Riverside Stargazing Night
    Event Title: RMK 3rd Annual Stargazing Night Fundraiser
    Date: Friday March 6, 2009
    Call time: 5:00 to 5:30 PM (late arrival is okay, just let me know)
    Duration of event: 6 - 8 PM
    Address: 6411 Mitchell Avenue, Riverside, CA 92505
    Cut off for date for requesting participation: March 5

What we'll be doing / Why we are there: Meet & Greet! Posing for pictures. Signing Autographs! (LOL! Last year I think everyone left with hand cramps from the autograph signing) Just generally making the kids (little & big) happy.
    Your appearence is requested to help generate much needed funds for our ever shrinking school budget. The money made will be used to fund field trips, assemblies, Science and Art programs.

Attendees: 250-350
    Requested Characters: Any & all!
    Number of Characters: As many as can come
    Which Club is controlling the event?: IEFF
    Are other clubs invited?: IEFF, Rebal Leigon
    Wranglers needed?How many?: If they want to come, they are more then welcome! We can always use the help!
    Can family members/friends come?: YES!!!! This is a fun family night and I encourage EVERYONE to come!

Additional Details: This is a stargazing event. Out on our blacktop is where we set up the telescopes. In our multipurpose room is where the food & raffle is held. Most of the characters will be in here for pictures and autograph signing, but I do encourage you to walk out to the telescope area and take a look. This also encourages the guest to go out to this area. Souveniers will be sold both in the MPR and telescope area.
    Last year this event had the largest turnout of any event we've had at school, 350 students, parents, family, & friends. We raised $2987.50! Our goal was $1000. The money allowed for EVERY student (850) to go on at least one field trip, we had great assemblies and were able to bring in some great cultural events.
    Our goal for this year is $3000.
    Weapons ok? YES, but as we are at an elementary school, PLEASE do not let the kids hold your weapons. Last year we had Jedis allowing kids to hold their sabers for pictures which seemed to be fine, but PLEASE no other weapon sharing with the kids. We do have our SROs, school offiers, at this event and last year they were VERY interested in the blasters. Sharing with them in a quiet location is fine.
    Changing area provided? YES! You will have a large private, secured room. No windows. This will be your changing area and break room. With the exception of me, no other people will be allowed in the room
    Food/Water provided? YES! Snacks, Dinner, & Beverages will be provided for all costumed characters. Wranglers and family members are requested to purchase dinner as this is a fundraiser
    Parking provided? YES! Private, secure parking will be provided in our Teacher Parking area
    Any out of pocket expenses? Gas money, and if you choose, raffle tickets, souveniers, or extra dinners

Any special instructions: Please try to limit the "buckets off" in front of the kids. It changes the experience for them.

So far, Curtis said he is coming!

I was hoping, if the Falcon can come, that we set up the IEFF banner and have our cards or whatever avalible. Also I was told if we use red, we can have lighting. Maybe a red rope light or a couple of red spots on the banner. We can work on it.

2. jangosmom

jangosmom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2005
    I think I have some red rope lights in the garage. I'll check and see. If I have them, you're welcome to use them. I'll try to come to this. I'll let you know for sure as it gets closer.

3. MommyJedi

Aug 22, 2007
    Oh Debbie, I think Ryan would like this. I love, Love, LOVE looking through the telescopes and with all our Star Wars friends there it feels really comfortable. Plus you will be able to escape to the private changing room too so you can take a break from all the hubbub.
    If you feel up to it, it would be wonderful to see you there. And thank you for looking for the lights. Let me know.

[:D]

4. MommyJedi

Aug 22, 2007
    Just barely 8 hours since the first post and here is the updated list!

TK4261 - Curtis Preston, TK, 501st
    Dazz - Darren Hall, TK, 501st
    Symina- Sonya Hall, TBD, RL, IEFF
    Cerillo - Chris Cerillo, Vader & R2, 501st
    Jedifan77 - Kari Sousa, X-Wing Pilot, RL, IEFF
    Hanchewie - Bill Deacon, Han Solo & the Falcon, IEFF
    Falcon - Phil M, ??, OCSWS
    Shades - Shawn?, Nihlius, OCSWS
    Grif - ??, ??, OCSWS
    TD443 - Eddie ?, TD, 501st
    Tim mc coy - Tim McCoy, TK, 501st

BTW, Bill I just went ahead and added you. I posted this on the OC boards and I didn't want to dupicate characters again this year. Let me know if that was okay.
    Thanks

5. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    WOOT!!!!!

Okay, if I can find any way at all of getting there, I am SO THERE! The stargazing event a couple years ago was the most fun ever...the looks on those kids faces rocked. [face_dancing] Please put me down as at least tenative.

6. HanChewie

HanChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2006
    Minda, We would be more than honored to be there. Hopefully I won't be feeling awful this time. We did have a great time 2 years ago. We will talk later. I think Kari has the banner since our truck broke down at the Victorville Christmas parade and we asked her if she could take the banner with her. We still have the pipes for the banner so it can stand. Not sure what we might have in the garage with red rope lights. We will look.

7. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Minda, would you please post directions? Thanks!

8. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    *gulp!* I know I'm cutting it awful close, but could you please put me down as a Jedi? I really want to go to this one.

9. Darth_Cookie_Monster

Darth_Cookie_Monster Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2008
    sound like fun! (and free food) I'll be there and I'll try to finish my jedi costume by then, keep your fingers crossed for me![face_praying]

my mom may tag along for this also (she will not be in costume).

10. MommyJedi

Aug 22, 2007
    Hello!!! Boy I've missed all of you!

After biting my nails all day with the rain forcast for Friday, things finally have changed.... NO RAIN ON FRIDAY!!!
    Everything is a go!! Please park behind the school (off of Mitchell). There will be signs there for parking with the Imperial cog on it. This is our teacher parking and will ensure you all get a parking space. From there you'll need to walk down the stair into the school toward the stage. It should be easy enough to see & find this place on our campus. I will do my best to have someone direct you to where you need to go.

If your name is NOT on the list, PLEASE post it so I can have a dinner voucher for you.
    Any questions, PLEASE post them
    My number is 951-963-6037 cel

here is the list I have so far:
    ATTENDEES:
    TK4261 - Curtis Preston, TK, 501st
    Dazz - Darren Hall, TK, 501st
    Cerillo - Chris Cerillo, C3PO & R2, 501st
    Falcon - Phil M, Jedi, OCSWS
    Shades - Shawn?, Nihlius, OCSWS
    Tim mc coy - Tim McCoy, TK, 501st
    Dini - Dini McMurry, Ep3 Clone, 501st
    Gumbo Dog - Chris ?, Tuskin Raider. OCSWS
    Navycook2 - Adam ?, TK, 501st
    TK Mando - Tom ?, TK, 501st
    AFrules - Carl ?, TK, 501st
    Vampire Kitten - Candace ?, Visas Mar, 501st
    DS66 - Dan ?, TK, 501st
    TK-Fett - Kit ?, Boba, 501st
    LiAnakin - Liane Reznik, Anakin Ep3, 501st, RL, OCSWS

Darth Hideous - Sonya Hall, TBD, RL, IEFF
    Jedifan77 - Kari Sousa, X-Wing Pilot, RL, IEFF
    Hanchewie - Bill Deacon, Han Solo & the Falcon, IEFF
    Grif - ??, Jedi, OCSWS
    Rogue Fish - Matt Muncie, X-Wing Pilot, RL
    JediDad - Brian M., Jedi, RL
    Zhi-Don - Don Trim, Jedi, RL, OCSWS
    Loreen - Lori ?, Jedi, RL, OCSWS
    Tigerantillis - Gregor ?, X-wing Pilot, RL
    Darth Cookie Monster - Kevin ?, Jedi, IEFF
    Caraundercover - Carrie ?, Jedi, IEFF

Hanchewie - Sandy Deacon, WRANGLER, IEFF

Unfortunately we can only provide dinner from those who are in costume as a thank you for coming. I know it is only a small gesture, but we really are grateful for your support. I will also have snack and drinks in the changing room for everyone.

Hmmm... I never posted directions... [face_thinking] silly me, sorry8-}

6411 Mitchell Ave, Riverside, CA 92505

I really thank all of you that are willing to trek down my way.... You're the BEST

Thank you all so much!!!!!!

Minda

PS ummm can someone help me with the link? I just typed the address into yahoo maps and tryed to link it, but apparently I don't know what I'm doing....

11. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
  12. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Looking forward to it! I should have my ANH Leia version ummm....3.0 (I think) done. My old one's been bothering me for quite a while now so I figured might as well do it now. ;)

13. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Sonya, you're costumes always look amazing, no matter what version you're on! You're a very talented seamstress and costume crafter!

14. MommyJedi

Aug 22, 2007
    Thank you Kari. I tried several times to post that. I don't know what my issue is. I need lessons.... can we put that on the agenda?

Sonya, I'm so glad to hear you are coming as Leia. So many of the kids have asked my if she was coming and I kept saying, I don't know. Now I can say YES!

Okay, I went back to my last stargazing post on page 7 and pulled the written directions from there:

Best way to get here from the High Desert is
    15 FWY south
    Exit 6th Street in Norco
    Left on 6th (heading east) to California Avenue
    Left on California (heading north) to North Avenue
    Right on North (heading east again)
    North turns into Arlington Avenue.
    Arlington to Mitchell
    Left on Mitchell.
    The school is on the corner of Arlington and Mitchell Avenues
    6411 Mitchell Avenue, Riverside, CA 92505
    Follow Imperial Cog parking signs to back parking area.
    Call me if you need anything 951-963-6037

Kevin, Sonya, Curtis, & Sandy, Just get to the 15 south from the 10 or the 60 and follow the directions.

I can't wait to see all of you!

15. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    Minda- I really wanted to come to this, but I'm just not able. Please know I'm with you in spirit and I hope (I will say some prayers) that it all goes well and turns out exactly how you want it to. I'm sure everyone will have a great time and you since you've had such an amazing turnout of volunteers, I'm sure everyone will. Thinking of you and hope you're not stressing too much. [:D] Hope you all have a great time!

16. MommyJedi

Aug 22, 2007
    Debbie,

As always you will be greatly missed.
    But, I know this sound corny and I really do mean what I;m saying here (so don't laugh!!!), but just go out on your front porch or you back yard anytime between 6 and 8 and look up at the stars. It will instantly bring us together as we will be doing the same thing... together!

Oh and the REALLY bright star that has been hanging out due west for several days.... that is our International Space Station, so give a a salute to those folks as well!

Missing you already!

Minda

17. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    I will go outside and do that just for you Minda!

18. HanChewie

Jul 3, 2006
    Hi Minda and all the gang. We are finally back on the boards. Our hardrive had crashed, and it was a warranty thing. Thank goodness. I have been trying to keep up with all the stuff on the boards. We are not going to be able to come this evening. The Falcon is giving us a lot of fits, we can't trust her that she will start again, and Bill tried to get the night off, but couldn't. I am very sorry for the lateness of letting you know about this. I know you will have a great showing, and we know you all will have a great time. I am sure the pictures will be great, as always. Every one have fun, and we are with you all during this event.

19. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    Sorry I couldn't show up last night. Dad was totally exhausted and there was no way he could get all the way down to Riverside; plus which he got home late so it was too late to ask anyone for a ride. :(

Hope everyone had fun!

20. MommyJedi

Aug 22, 2007
    Good morning Everyone!

I want to thank Kari, Sonya, Curtis, Kevin, & Marcelo for coming last night. You made this event so great! I LOVE doing this event for my school, the kids, our staff (who were notified yesterday afternoon that 26 of the 35 teachers are getting pink slips on Tuesday. Every teacher and staff member of our school that stayed and volunteered the whole night got one) they are amazing people.

Sonya, You looked so beautiful in your Leia costume. I loved your hair! So many people commented to me how nice it was to have Leia here this year.
    Kari, I loved the fact that there was 3 x-wing pilots there. You looked great and it really was as impressive as having stormtroopers. At night you were so bright and easily seen and it was very cool.
    Kevin, I love the hair!!! And the Jedi costume!
    Curtis, how cool that you brought Steve and even cooler that you lent him your TI! Both of you looked great!
    Marcelo, thank you for bring the family. I hope Shammi & the kids enjoyed it. Thank you for helping all around.

Last night we were able to raise $2280. Not bad for one nights work...... well except all the prep time I put in, lol! But really the money is only earned because you were there.

I really missed the rest of you. I wish you could all come. I'm sure we'll have another one next year!

Again, Thank you with all my heart! I love you guys!

Minda

21. HanChewie

Jul 3, 2006
    I knew you all would have wonderful time. That is amazing that so many teachers are being given pink slips and it is wonderful that they would be there for you for the event. What amazing people.

22. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
  23. Darth_Cookie_Monster

Nov 23, 2008
    all that work I did on my costume and my HAIR gets top billing?!?

oh well, I had fun and I look forward to the next gig.

24. Darth_Cookie_Monster

Nov 23, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.