main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga RO or ROTS Vader?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Vader0706, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    In which film did you enjoy seeing Vader more - Rogue One or Revenge of the Sith (talking about the ending of ROTS only).

ROTS - first time we see Vader in suit since ROTJ + the scene with him and the Emperor looking over the Death Star construction is awesome!

RO - first time we see Vader since ROTS and first time we see him in action since ROTJ. Vader/Krennic's scene + the corridor scene = awesomeness!

So, which appearance did you enjoy more and why?

Darth Dnej likes this.
  2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm going with RO. I thought the way he was used in the movie was perfect and the scene at the end in the corridor is one of my favorite SW scenes ever.

3. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Not a lot to get too excited about with (suited) Vader in ROTS.

RO Vader delivers a lot more in terms of thrills and spills.

Iron_lord and Darth Dnej like this.
  4. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    RO Vader, because we get to see him in action and he does not disappoint!

Master_Rebado and Darth Dnej like this.
  5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    That's tough. Suit only? RO Vader>>ROTS Vader Overall tho? Pre suit Vader is something I was waiting to see for years and it didn't disappoint. Probably both films for sure have my favorite Vader moments with Empire being third.

6. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    ^^^ Agreed.

One thing I would add - a conflcted ROTJ Vader is also pretty brilliant in a different way.

7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    RO Vader, all the way. He looks much better than he does in ROTS, too. Overall, though, the best Vader is in TESB.

DrDre, Bee Bee and Darth Dnej like this.
  8. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013

You nailed it. In ROTS, I liked seeing pre-suit Vader and Vader on the operating table, but the NOOOO line was so cringeworthy. RO had pretty minimal Vader time, but better than ROTS.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Both. Love Vader during Order 66, his arrival on Mustafar and scenes like this one
    [​IMG]

And Vader in RO was one of the main things I was excited about before seeing the movie. Wasn't disappointed.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I love both so can't compare

11. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    ROTS is the one for me. While I've been critical of some aspects of how Anakin's turn was handled, and the big noooooooo at the end, watching Vader on the operating table, while Padme gives birth to the twins, is the culmination of a character arc, that was started 25 years earlier, when the greatest movie villain in history uttered the words: "No, I am your father!". Vader's appearance in RO, while cool, does nothing to further the story in any way. He is no more than fan service with a lightsaber. For me character development and story always trump fan service.

12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The end of ROTS is the end of Vader's birth. That's where he takes his first steps as a fully transformed Sith Lord. Not much going on, but what little is there has a great deal of impact thanks to the long build-up that precedes it.

It's basically the same with Vader in RO. He's very fascinating here and, at the end, super scary - but none of that would've mattered to me as much as it does if I hadn't experienced the tragedy that made him who he is.
    I mean, him living on Mustafar... That speaks volumes. And the corridor slaughter! A powerful reminder of his past deeds.
    Seriously, does anyone not see Hayden behind that mask?

It's hard to choose, because, you know, it's all one big storyline.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I find that difficult to answer within those parameters.

To me the armor is a crucial part of Vader and the final transformation but Anakin still becomes Vader when he pledges to the Sith.So it's a couple of scenes compared to half a movie of Vader.

You also have the Mustafar scene in Rogue One so why not the Mustafar scenes in ROTS?

Obviously from a more visceral thrill sequence the Rogue One scenes are two to the one if confined to the very end of ROTS in isolation but even then the entire lead-in has to be considered because that is all part of it.

You can't have the end of ROTS without all that goes before it so therefore it would still be ROTS.

Besides the Rogue One scenes are totally informed by ROTS anyway.

Evening Star and DrDre like this.
  14. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    While I don't think anyone (initially thought that they) needed Vader to have major screen time to appreciate R1, it was difficult to see him as a one-dimensional character again. Now, in trying to recapture that ANH vibe, maybe that was intentional (beyond the fact that exploring his character wasn't necessary to the plot); but after an entire trilogy devoted to the "construction" of Vader, the genie is so far out of the bottle for me personally, that not exploring his inner struggles in some small capacity simply didn't feel right.

I dare say his appearance almost felt gratuitous; which sucks to say, because before I saw the film, I was totally prepared to see Vader as just another (albeit, major) cog in the mighty Imperial machine. But being that Krennic didn't have the weight that I thought he would carry, and with Stormtroopers still displaying incompetence, etc., there came a point where I realized I needed a layered Vader to save the Empire for me to some extent.

Something has happened in filmmaking, especially the superhero/fantasy types. When Edwards uttered the bit about marketing keeping trailer scenes that wouldn't make it in the movie because they still looked good, it made me angry. The story as cohesive whole has taken a back seat to this "snapshot filmmaking" technique that is more about the optical moment than the congruent whole. /rant

It makes me realize how good the first Iron Man movie was. Damn, did they construct that movie well. They made it feel small and intimate, because they drew you into the story. I always feel so detached from these movies anymore (though TFA did have its moments. Kudos, JJ) because character building seems to always get sacrificed in a major way. I was looking at the Jyn Erso wiki yesterday, and I was like ,"Damn, where was THIS movie, at least in flashback form".

Never in a million years did I think I would write this, but I'll take ROTS Vader. As a tear streams down my face...

As always, IMHO.

15. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I was going to say R1 Vader "by a mile" if you just count suit-Vader. But if you count the actual Vader on the table receiving the suit, that's pretty iconic as well. Watching the mask come down over his freshly burned face was pretty powerful. Especially as you looked out the eyes of the mask yourself.

But then you throw in bacta tank Vader and ....

I can't find a valid reason to pick one over the other.

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Definitely ROTS. I thought there was real emotional depth seeing suited Vader first emerge into the awful reality he helped create. R1 Vader was a little too corny for me.

17. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I didn't like Vader's final scene in RO. That's the type of fan-service that I'm glad Lucas didn't include in his Saga. "Cool bad-ass Vader" is not interesting to me.

Darkslayer and Keycube like this.
  18. DarthEndus

DarthEndus Jedi Knight

Jan 12, 2016
    I thought that Darth Vader's first scene in Rogue One was disgraceful. He didn't look or carry himself like Darth Vader to me. And that joke. I was pretty appalled at the whole thing.

The second scene in the corridor was one of the best things I've seen in my entire life.

I have to go with ROTS Vader, since I consider Darth Vader's life to begin in Palpatine's office. If he's choking Padme and killing kids, he's not Anakin anymore. He's only in the suit because he lost to Obi-Wan.

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Rogue One

20. datatapes

datatapes Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2016
    RO - the corridor scene is fast becoming iconic.

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If Vader is the man in suit,RO's Vader by a long shot. ROTS had the Noooooo! and the ill-fitting suit. No thanks.

If we're talking Anakin post-Mace betrayal on through the suit, which I do consider to be Vader, then it is ROTS.

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  22. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Not to mention the incredible amount of detail that was put into his transformation. It looks downright agonizing. I think my favorite part of it has to be Anakin's look of fear before the mask is applied. It really communicates that he (as far as he knows) has been permanently transformed into something far more twisted and he's forced to live with that fact.

Evening Star and DrDre like this.
  23. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    I like reading the varied replies.

One thing I would like to mention - the scene in ROTS when Vader and Palpatine observe the construction of the Death Star, while Tarkin walks away.
    There is something.. magical about this scene for me. It feels the most "New Hope"-ish, in terms of aesthetics and set design (classic Imperial uniforms, the whole classic OT Star Destroyer bridge, Death Star construction, Tarkin, Vader and Palpatine standing together and lastly, Williams' score, of course. I simply love how this scene sort of transfers ROTS into ANH and the whole PT into the OT.

24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    ^ Ditto! I've always looked at the ROTS finale as the beginning of the next trilogy. When Anakin turns Padmé and Obi-Wan against him on Mustafar, he kills the love and friendship that held them together and the heart of the trilogy is officially broken. That's the end of phase one right there. Everything happening afterwards is a transition to phase two, where Anakin is the villain and his children take over as heroes.

Evening Star and BoromirsFan like this.
  25. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Love them both.