main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga RO or ROTS Vader?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Vader0706, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Definitely R1. Hayden just did not fill out the suit for me, and the Frankenstein homage was a little much for my tastes. In R1, he was everything I could have hoped for.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

It was much more than "fan service" IMO. This is the first time we see what Anakin has truly become as Darth Vader. He is a merciless tool of the Emperor. It really establishes an aura of fear around him. I'd say that does a TON for character development.

Sarge, DrDre and Lulu Mars like this.
  3. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    I am pleasantly surprised by your answer.
    Nice one, man.

4. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the Vader scene, but I call it fan service, because:

1) While we haven't seen Vader like this in the films, it has been seen in the EU. So, from that perspective it is not really development.
    2) It is something fans have been wanting to see for a long time, so from that perspective it's something, that's always been integral to the Vader character, even though we never saw it.
    3) ROTS had a similar scene with the Separatists, so even though he wasn't wearing the suit, he has already been there.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  5. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

I hear ya... I guess I'm getting irritated with the term "fan service" these days. Most often (though not always) it's used in a derogatory sense. I guess overall, I don't see pleasing fans as a bad thing.

DrDre likes this.
  6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    If it's limited to just "suit Vader" in ROTS, then that's not nearly enough to compare to... the film was already resolved and he didn't really do anything. Rogue One Vader also had a small role, but still factored into the plot at that point.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    FINALLY seeing the mask and hearing the breath at the end of RotS was a good moment, it gave me goosebumps, but that didn't last past the Frankenstein stumbling, the lame Nooo, and the angsty temper tantrum. R1 Vader was the terrifying unstoppable Sithlord I always knew he was, and I was finally seeing him in unfettered action for the first time. The corridor is the stuff rebel nightmares are made of. Iconic.

Padme501st likes this.
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm going with Rogue One because he's intimidating and horrifying. Not that I would prefer to meet him in real life, of course. From a writing standpoint, however, it's interesting to see him nineteen years after ROTS. It also proves he was being cautious around old Obi-Wan in ANH, given how ruthless he was in RO.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    RO Vader. It was cool to hear the breathing in and suit on Vader for the first time in ROTS but that is knocked down a notch with the whole NOOO part.

The development of the persona in RO was cool to see. The intimidation that he has over Krennic and just his slaughter of the Rebels at the end was awesome. With the time difference between the movies, obviously he's going to be more fleshed out in RO.

10. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Although I still refuse to pick one because I find every stage of Vader's life important to the story, some of the posts triggered some thoughts.

R1 Vader was handled perfectly and exactly what his arc required. Thinking in terms of watching the Saga in chronological order as if you've never seen any of them provides an exciting journey. Anakin rising. Anakin turning Vader and very powerful. Vader getting crippled and ending on a solemn note. You are left wondering if he will still be a fighting machine or just limited to force attacks. You put on R1 and you realize Vader isn't everywhere. On the ground level, he isn't talked about. Then you see him still disabled and still as high officer on the totem pole. Maybe he's just a talker now and uses his force powers to intimidate. Shows up in his craft. Ok. He's just a General called in for the most important missions. But he leads while others fight. Maybe his crippling was permanent. Then the scene. Ok. He's saber fighting just like Anakin. Worse, he has no Jedi to worry about now so he's an unstoppable machine.

Then you go into the OT where his conflict begins. Leia challenges him like others don't. His intimidation prowess is challenged. In a small way, he respects Leia the way opposing high ranking military officers respect one another. Then OB1 shows up and his internal conflict begins.

You can talk about the EU, but this essentially is a movie saga. And for the movie saga to stand up, it needs to hit the key moments in the movie. Samurai Vader wasn't fan service. It was necessary. It isn't *better*. It's just continuing development on screen.

As far as EU Vader, the EU has a lot of hits and misses. And Disney somewhat ruined my EU love as I now have a lot of off-film SW information that I can't keep straight on whether it is meaningful or meaningless. I'm gun shy about exploring something that could all be discarded on a whim.

Sarge likes this.
  11. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Between the two I would def pick ROTS Vader, even if the scene was somewhat underwhelming and cheesy.

The building of his suit, the first iconic breath...it was breathtaking. Something us fans had been waiting to see for years. I, like every other fan, hated the Frankenstein stumbling and the terrible, awful, cringey "NOOOOOOOO" but atleast it inspired some great memes?

Vader's appearance in R1 was a very welcomed addition IMO, but it seemed out of place and barely furthered the story line. Also, the voice was noticeably off, and the character didn't seem like iconic Vader. I found it strange they almost had Darth Vader spit out a sarcastic joke when on Mustafar. I will admit though, that the ending where he is stomping towards the Tantive IV destroying the Rebel Soldiers was just incredibly sick.

12. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I loved Vader in RO. It was great seeing his fortress on Mustafar (and how interesting that he chose that world, the place of his painful confrontation with Obi-Wan, where he thought he'd killed Padme... it represents now I think his commitment to the Dark Side and leaving Anakin behind him... it also is a reminder of his mistake--when he lost everything). Watching Vader at home is like getting even closer to the character.

I liked the fight scene at the end too with Vader because freed up from the original kind of stilted fights of the OT (*cringes recalling the Vader/Obi-Wan duel in ANH*), finally we get to see Vader fight in the modern more awesome way of the newer films. And seriously just imagining being in that hallway when Vader enters knowing you are *dead* is chilling. I know some people didn't like that it was just him as he generally always has guards with him, but it would have been less dramatic with guards in the scene. Vader is a one man killing machine, absolutely terrifying, and the scene would have been less effective were he not alone (at least for me).

And as much as I really didn't like the Tantive IV being at the battle at first (though it just keeps growing on me), I loved the part where Vader watches it speed off. He wants that ship and he will not be denied it. Insatiable hunger.

I didn't like the "Noooooo" at the end of RotS and so the scene wasn't my favorite. I didn't like it because it's like it broke the fourth wall for me and I couldn't seem to take it seriously for some reason. I did like however that Vader exploded everything in the room with his rage. That was just impressive. And I liked the awkward way he tried to walk not used to the suit. Welcome to your new life as a disabled person. :(

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't understand why some people object to Vader's "choke on your ambition" line in R1. To my ears, it's no different from "Apology accepted, Captain Needa" or "Admiral Ozzel is as clumsy as he is stupid" or "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."

14. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'll say this.

ROTS Vader Separatist massacre > R1 Vader Rebel massacre

The sequence in ROTS is far more shocking and horrific, preceded by Obi-Wan's "Who could have done this," and closing on Nute Gunray's pig squeal as Anakin slices through him.

15. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Every other fan, minus this one. Have no problem with it whatsoever. I get a laugh out of how twisted up it makes some fans, though.

ROTS Vader is my choice based on how dynamic his situation is, although R1 is totally kickass. I've seen it 3 times and every time my heart is pounding even before he ignites his saber. Fan service of course, but it was organic fan service that was executed to the highest standard.

I mean he throws a dude to the ceiling and cuts him in half.

Oh but my little Ani still wins...crying on Mustafar after he chopped everyone's **** all up. Bless him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I agree but deeper than that there is one explanation I have come across that is very well thought out:

The problem lies not in the use of the word choke, but the emphasis on it. What Vader's true pun was is the word aspirations. Meaning to breathe. On the surface, he's warning Krennic not to be too ambitious. But he's also subtly mocking him. "Be careful not to choke on your breathing," is what the pun is really saying. He's sarcastically pretending Krennic is having trouble breathing because he's dumb, rather than the fact that Vader is choking him himself. It's genius in my opinion. It's a very clever way of calling Krennic incompetent while delivering the more important message: I'm not going to sort out your little squabble with Tarkin just because you think you deserve the attention the Emperor is giving him.

Subtext Mining, oncafar and Sarge like this.
  17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    One of the best Star Wars moments EVER.

18. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I didn't understand what Krennic was thinking in this scene or why he thought he could go to Vader for help.

19. Kylo_Luke

Kylo_Luke Jedi Knight

Jan 10, 2017
    Definitely RO Vader for me. Just to see him in that tank, on Mustafar of all places, his shadow before meeting Krennic, the breathing, and that fantastic corridor scene. Such an amazing feeling to see him again on the big screen and kicking ass.

oncafar likes this.
  20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    ROTS, it's not even close. Not because RO was bad, but because seeing his turn in ROTS is heartbreaking :(

Subtext Mining likes this.
  21. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    RO.

The Vader scenes, coupled with the worst acting performance in the entire SW franchise from Haden Christensen, the awful Jake Lloyd and the whiney, love sick, course-sand-hating adolescent character that populated the prequel trilogy seriously tarnished my views on Darth Vader. Prior to watching the prequels - he was my favorite movie character ever. I nearly gave up on him.

RO restored my faith in him. The three scenes he was in totally, and FINALLY enabled me to forget everything about the prequels with regards to this character. For me, my fandom, Vader's story starts with RO.

Sarge likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm not choosing one over the other. ROTS has Vader drawing his first mechanical breath. That's hard to beat! R1 has Vader slaughtering rebels without breaking a sweat. Also hard to beat!

What I really appreciate with Vader's appearance in Rogue One is this:
    When watching the movies in production order, Vader's first appearance in A New Hope works very well. It's an effectful entrance. But when watching the films chronologically - like I prefer - it's a bit underwhelming. We go from this epic trilogy showing Anakin Skywalker's fall from grace and his transformation into Darth Vader. We last see him, all suited up, watching the construction of the Death Star together with the Emperor. Going straight from there to ANH, his entrance on the Tantive IV feels somewhat underplayed - you don't get the feeling of "Oh crap, it's Vader/Anakin!" that you should. It's too quick (compare it to his slow walk down the ramp at the beginning of ROTJ and you'll see what I mean). This has been my one problem with watching the films chronologically since 2005.
    But now, with Rogue One being the next film after ROTS, this is no longer a problem, because Vader's entrance in Rogue One is perfect - the hints of a broken body in the Bacta, the Indiana Jones-like shadow on the wall, the breathing; it's the perfect way to reintroduce him after ROTS. And with A New Hope taking place mere hours after Vader's last scene in Rogue One, a more epic reveal of Vader in ANH is not needed anymore.

Rogue One married the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy in a fantastic way, and Vader's role in R1 was a big part of that in my mind. I can't imagine not watching Rogue One inbetween Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope in future Saga marathons :)

23. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    RO, we don't really get much suited Vader in ROTS.

24. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    ROTS, the birth of Vader scene is so well done, juxtaposing the natural birth of the twins with the mechanical 'birth' of Vader. It's also the centrepiece of the climax, while the R1 scenes he's in could be cut out of the film entirely without really affecting anything.

ROTS also has pre-suit Vader for the only time, which is pretty unique.

25. SouthernYankeeJedi

SouthernYankeeJedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2017
    RO Vader made a pun and I like puns, so RO Vader :p

No, but seriously, I agree with the other comments here. RO Vader was utilized really well and fit nicely with the plot. ROTS Vader was cool, too, of course but didn't do anything once he was burned up and suited up.

PCCViking likes this.