main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga RO or TFA?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Vader0706, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Seriously?

Well there's the sort of reunion by hologram when she'd been happy to believe he was dead rather than a collaborator or being abused by his captors.

Then there's the proper reunion at the moment of his death.

2. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    I like them both equally - with a slight edge on Rogue One's side because of the darker nature of it, plus it lead right up to the start of ANH brilliantly.

TFA was fantastic. SW needed it SO much and it came at the right time. I didn't like Hux, and the whole Starkiller Base arc very much, and it was all a little 'safe' but it had a brilliant new lead (Rey), Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon, and it just overall had a great feel to it. Im sure TLJ is going to be dark, not what we are expecting.

Both movies, are infinitely better than any of the prequels, so much so its not even funny. And I rank both above ROTJ

3. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Prediction: 2-3 years from now many fewer people will rank TFA over Rogue One. This is going to play out very similar to how TESB and ROTJ did

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Having seen it twice again now, Rogue One all the way.

anakinfansince1983 and Blue 5 like this.
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I could see this happening, considering I was just convinced a page ago on this very thread after being adamant about TFA>RO since the latter film's release. And it's not like I suddenly dislike The Force Awakens. I still adore the movie, and I think its standing on it will improve for some after TLJ and IX are released and they can see the bigger picture that TFA is a part of, but I really do think Rogue One is going to age well over the next few years. So long as they're good, I actually think the standalone films on the whole are going to age really well over the next several years, as soon as the ST is done and people stop asking "What's going to happen next in the trilogy?" and sit back and appreciate the ST as a complete piece and the standalone films as individual pieces.

Snafu55 likes this.
  6. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Rogue One by a lot. It is one of my favorite movies of all time and my favorite Star Wars movie.

I loved the characters and the art and tone of the movie hit the perfect chords with me. I find the writing very nuanced, along with great acting performances. I could go on and on and on just gushing praise everywhere.

TFA, on the other hand, I'm not a big fan of.

7. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999

I'm in the same boat. RO is probably my 3rd favorite SW movie, while TFA is currently dead last. While I enjoy all 8 movies, TFA is the only one I might only "like" and not "love" like the other 7.

Blue 5 likes this.
  8. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

I find TFA fairly entertaining, but I don't think it has any chance of ever climbing above the OT or RO.

Blue 5 likes this.
  9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Eh, It's a draw for me. Both have ups and downs.

TFA is a better film bar none. Far better paced, and has "warmness" to it that makes it feel fun and not too serious. Characters aren't great but I liked them and semi-cared about them. It loses points for being very anti-climatic for being Episode VII tho. Just didn't expand the universe much and, ironically, trying to be like SW made it feel more of a homage to SW than a natural SW adventure.

RO is the better SW film tho. Familiar environments, a great blend of original and prequel aesthetics, and a really fun climax. The film is really choppy in the beginning and it moved way too fast for me to get invested in the characters. They were all cool on paper tho, and I would like to know more about their backstories, but in the context of the film, I couldn't care about them at all.

Overall, Rogue One might be better because it, at least, brought something new to the table and Scarif is a gorgeous planet while I honestly couldn't remember a single planet in TFA.

10. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    Rogue One wins easily.

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    You know what, I take back what I said (whatever, I'm fickle, sue me). I'll still stand by the various things that I feel Rogue One does better than The Force Awakens, particularly in regards to world building and offering something different, but on the whole I prefer TFA. It really does come down to the tone and characters for me, and I think the pacing is generally better even if sometimes it's admittedly a little bit too brisk.

Martoto77, Guidman and Deliveranze like this.
  12. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Rogue One. At least it was directed by a competent director, one capable of actually creating a wholly new storyline instead of just partially or completely rehashing an existing one, and not a glorified fanboy like Jar Jar Abrahams.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  13. Porkins2099

Porkins2099 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2016
    I like both but I see myself watching Rogue One more times than TFA.

Although I'm not in the "TFA is a rehash of ANH" bandwagon, I must say that it did take the rhyme trope (a plot element that must be scrapped for good for the next episodes) a little bit too far for my taste, making it a somewhat less unique experience. Han's death was something that unfortunately I found too predictable since the moment Snoke revealed (to us, the audience) that Kylo was Han's son. It was clear he was going to be the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon of the movie. I don't care if the editing was better when you can already see the direction the plot is going to take during your first viewing. Despite that, I enjoyed it. The action was good (the Falcon chase scene in Jakku. Amazing) and the character chemistry was really nice. I especially loved Poe Dameron, who has become one of my favourite SW characters.

About Rogue One. Yes, the editing from the first 10 minutes was kinda off, and as I've said before, the movie would have benefited having less characters (and thus, less unnecessary situations) as it was originally intended. If you remove Bodhi, the plot would be the same and we wouldn't have the scenes when he's captured by Saw's men and the Bor Gullet (arguably the least popular scene). Despite that, Edwards was quite resourceful dealing with the reshoots. From the moment Jyn is taken to the Yavin base, the pacing gets better. However, the movie's biggest feat was that despite we already knew the final outcome, the story managed to be relevant and very engaging on its own. I had no idea what would happen. The suspense I felt was priceless (something I can't say I really felt with TFA) and the climax is one of the best among all the SW movies. I loved Jyn, Cassian and K-2. The dynamic between them was so lovely.

14. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    TFA has the potential to rise reputation following the release of The Last Jedi. It's inevitable that people who respond well to the expansion of the characters set up by TFA will perceive even more worth in Episode VII than they initially considered.

It's also inevitable that some will appreciate The Last Jedi as an improvement over perceived shortcomings of TFA, and will magnify them. And that some will go into The Last Jedi simply to have their perception confirmed that TFA precluded any chances of the ST being any good.

Rogue One on the other hand already has its befores and afters already locked in, and its reception within that context is already fairly well established. I don't foresee it changing that much except for the usual attrition of people deciding its better than they first thought or worse than they remembered etc.

I think that since Rogue One is separate from the saga and is not stylistically limited in the same way as an Episode film (and also not as liberated in terms of the outcome) , the comparison with the history of ESB and ROTJ's appraisal doesn't seem terribly apt.

15. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

My evidence is completely anecdotal... but almost everyone I know has enjoyed Rogue One more on subsequent viewings and has enjoyed TFA less. (although most do enjoy both films).

Personally I just think TFA is consideraby shallower than Rogue One and never really stuck in my brain like Rogue One (other than Kylo Ren, who is interesting). Several of the TFA characters have gotten worse for me on subsequent viewings while several Rogue One characters have gotten much better. I just think there's a lot more subtle stuff and layers you can pick up in Rogue One on repeated viewings.

Obviously all my opinion.... and I don't hate TFA or anything; I think it's a good film and entertaining. Even though I've moved it down some it's probably still my 5th or 6th favorite SW film (and some days it can almost beat ROTJ .... .just depends whether I decide I hate Ewoks or SKB more that day LOL)

16. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Cool. I just think that you need to take into account the fact that TFA has a sequel out in a few months and another in around two years which are likely to have an impact on the appreciation of TFA the way previous movies where reassessed in the wake of the next episode to be released. Rogue One has no such situation to influence the fan's perception.

My anecdotes are that each of my mates weren't sure about TFA at first but second viewings got us mega excited about the trilogy.

Rogue One benefited from that good will but second viewings showed it to be as good as when we first saw it. But still prefer TFA.

17. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Rogue One was all in all pretty boring and had really dull characters. TFA all the way.

18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Let me remind people about posts that can reasonably be thought to constitute "baiting" are prohibited. This is an example. anakinfansince1983

19. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Rogue One wasn't perfect but it was parsecs ahead of TFA, in my opinion. Rogue One was daring and had vision. TFA was a reboot. I prefer an original interesting movie, over a cliched predictable nostalgia fest.